Edmonton Getting Known Worldwide As STABmonton

Old April 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM posted to edm.general,calgary.general,ab.general,can.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
ErnstZundholz

Default Edmonton Getting Known Worldwide As STABmonton

'Stabmonton' website cuts the wrong way
By BROOKES MERRITT -- Sun Media

"Let's face it, if you live in Edmonton, you're going to get stabbed every so
often. It's like saying hello."

That's a quote from the satirical "Stabmonton" Internet forum, part of a
Facebook.com website that's got the mayor and city cops wondering how
someone could be so insensitive.

There is also another STABmonton site at: www.stabmonton.com,
where people are welcome to post their comments.

Especially since several Edmonton families are still grieving loved ones lost
in recent fatal stabbings.

Since being uploaded Thursday by local computer geek Jeffrey Grajkowski ,
over 50 people have become members of the online group.

Posts on the forum include haikus about stabbings in Edmonton, flippant
discussions on knives of choice and instructions about how to win knife fights
- including "declare that you're from Edmonton, in any other city this will
cause your opponent to run in fear."

"It's disturbing and a bit perverse," Mayor Stephen Mandel told Sun Media.

"I guess there are more ways than I knew of to use the Internet in a
completely dysfunctional fashion."

Police spokesman Jeff Wuite said the Stabmonton forum falls in with other
distasteful monickers for Edmonton, such as "deadmonton" and areas like
Mill Woods being called "killwoods."

The entire city has been plagued by stabbings in recent years and last year
was dubbed the murder capital of Canada.

"It's in very poor taste. We're not pleased to hear about this," Wuite said.

Grajkowski said he started the forum in jest, but is keenly aware of how
violent Edmonton's streets can be.

"It's obvious the site is a satire," said the 24-year-old, whose profile lists
"general nerdery" among his interests.

Although he's never stabbed anyone, Grajkowski's own post on the forum names
the switchblade as his knife of choice.

"I like a good old-fashioned switchblade. That 'schick' sound it makes is so
satisfying," he wrote.

"I don't want anyone to think I'm a jerk, but seriously if we can't joke about
what's happening with violence in this city, well that's just depressing."

Grajkowski is not surprised so many Facebook.com users have joined the forum,
saying stabbing stories are on nearly everyone's lips in Edmonton.

"It's in the news every day," he said, admitting he's never witnessed a
stabbing.

"If I had, I'd probably look at it differently," he said.