Chicago, Chicago, that toddling town........

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Ellenson

Default Chicago, Chicago, that toddling town........

Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my brain.
Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

Old April 5th, 2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Stephen Ellenson wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my brain.
Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

My guess...
The lyrics were written in 1922 so in the roaring 20's Chicago was a hip
place to be. Prohibition was flaunted so people may have been walking
around in a "tipsy" state.

- walk with short tottering steps

Toddle can mean to "saunter"
- to walk about in an idle or leisurely manner

So perhaps also a relaxed place to be.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Ellenson

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
Stephen Ellenson wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my
brain. Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

My guess...
The lyrics were written in 1922 so in the roaring 20's Chicago was a hip
place to be. Prohibition was flaunted so people may have been walking
around in a "tipsy" state.

- walk with short tottering steps

Toddle can mean to "saunter"
- to walk about in an idle or leisurely manner

So perhaps also a relaxed place to be.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma

That makes sense. I hope I won't be expected to toddle as I don't think I
know how really.

Old April 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

Stephen Ellenson wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my
brain. Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

My guess...
The lyrics were written in 1922 so in the roaring 20's Chicago was a
hip place to be. Prohibition was flaunted so people may have been
walking around in a "tipsy" state.

- walk with short tottering steps

Toddle can mean to "saunter"
- to walk about in an idle or leisurely manner

So perhaps also a relaxed place to be.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma

That makes sense. I hope I won't be expected to toddle as I don't think
I know how really.

I think you ALWAYS have to toddle in Chicago. Sort of like my parents
telling me when I was 7, and we were moving to MIssouri, that everyone
ALWAYS replied to anything said to them by saying "You have to show
me." That got me all uptight, and you should be too.

Old April 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Apr 4, 4:27 pm, "Stephen Ellenson" wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my brain.
Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

I don't see the word "toddling" in the lyrics.

http://www.corsinet.com/chicago/chicagos.html#town

Old April 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

Stephen Ellenson wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my
brain. Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

My guess...
The lyrics were written in 1922 so in the roaring 20's Chicago was a hip
place to be. Prohibition was flaunted so people may have been walking
around in a "tipsy" state.

- walk with short tottering steps

Toddle can mean to "saunter"
- to walk about in an idle or leisurely manner

So perhaps also a relaxed place to be.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma

That makes sense. I hope I won't be expected to toddle as I don't think I
know how really.

Just relax and let it come to you.

Old April 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 4, 4:27 pm, "Stephen Ellenson" wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my
brain.
Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

I don't see the word "toddling" in the lyrics.

http://www.corsinet.com/chicago/chicagos.html#town

Dude, I went to you link and the song is listed as"Chicago(A Toddlin' Town),
or something very close to that. Are you discounting it because of the way
toddling is spelled or did you just miss seeing the lyrics to this song.
Also saw the lyrics to Bad Leroy Brown. Always liked that song especially
when my daughter went to the U of Chi, that was on the south side of town.

Old April 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Apr 5, 10:01 am, "singlemalt" wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Apr 4, 4:27 pm, "Stephen Ellenson" wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my
brain.
Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

I don't see the word "toddling" in the lyrics.

http://www.corsinet.com/chicago/chicagos.html#town

Dude, I went to you link and the song is listed as"Chicago(A Toddlin' Town),
or something very close to that. Are you discounting it because of the way
toddling is spelled or did you just miss seeing the lyrics to this song.
Also saw the lyrics to Bad Leroy Brown. Always liked that song especially
when my daughter went to the U of Chi, that was on the south side of town.

I was looking at "My Kind of Town," which is a Sinatra standard. The
OP did mention Sinatra, so I was thinking My Kind of Town.

Old April 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike Hanlon

"Stephen Ellenson" wrote in message
Going to Chicago tomorrow and I can't get the Sinatra song outta my brain.
Does anyone know what "toddling" town means?

That's funny because your other thread, on Chicago pizza, has put into my
brain a radio jingle from the 1970s here in Austin for Conan's Pizza -- the
guys who introduced Chicago-style deep dish to our town. The radio spot had
a guy sounding vaguely like Jimmy Durante singing

Chicago, Chicago
I saw a guy dance with his wife.
I saw annuder guy
Eat pizza wit' a knife.