Grand Canyon North Rim - next Spring!!

Old April 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
KGB

Default Grand Canyon North Rim - next Spring!!

Hi Folks

My wife and I (from the UK) are planning a Southwest US road trip next
Spring.

One place we want to stay is the Lodge at the Grand Canyon North Rim.

I am aware that this can be booked up to 13 months in advance and
would guess that it is popular, so we should really be thinking about
making a reservation for a room at the Lodge soon (I know this can be
done on-line); however I am also aware that the North Rim is usually
closed each winter due to snow.

Due to the vagaries of climate I realize it is difficult to give a
definite answer, but when is the earliest we can be reasonably sure
that the North Rim will be clear of snow?

We were idly thinking of mid-May/early-June but our plans are
completely flexible - is this too soon??

South West US road trips are something we do fairly frequently but
usually bringing our tent with us and staying in campgrounds, and
usually in the Fall. Next year we have decided to visit in the Spring
in the hope we can see the desert in bloom, and in a moderate degree
of comfort, staying mainly in camping cabins.

Regards
KGB

Old April 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

when is the earliest we can be reasonably sure
that the North Rim will be clear of snow?

The road opens in mid May, although you might still have some snow on
the ground.

From the official site:
The road into the North Rim (Highway 67) is closed from the first
heavy snow in November or early December to mid-May.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/gran...-rim/index.htm

And here are average temperatures:
http://www.grand.canyon.national-park.com/weather.htm

James

Old April 11th, 2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Russell Patterson

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:19:23 GMT, "KGB"
(KGB) wrote:

We were idly thinking of mid-May/early-June but our plans are
completely flexible - is this too soon??

South West US road trips are something we do fairly frequently but
usually bringing our tent with us and staying in campgrounds, and
usually in the Fall. Next year we have decided to visit in the Spring
in the hope we can see the desert in bloom, and in a moderate degree
of comfort, staying mainly in camping cabins.

Regards
KGB

We stopped by for a day visit around May 15th a few years ago. It had
just opened up. What a beautiful drive to get there. Do a little
research on the Kaibab Squirrel before you go. It is the only place
you'll see one, if you are lucky. We had never heard of it, before we
stopped at the restaraunt in Jacob Lake, at the turn-off for the North
Rim. There was a lot of stuff in the gift shop about them so we asked
someone. Due to the natural barriers of the canyon to the south and
the deserts NE and NW of the Kaibab Plateau, the Kaibab Squirrel
evolved the way it is today.
Anyway, they are supposed to be very hard to find, but as we
accelerated away from the restaurant, one of the darn things scurried
across the road in front of us!. It was the only time we saw one!
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

"KGB" (KGB) wrote:

My wife and I (from the UK) are planning a Southwest US road trip next
Spring. One place we want to stay is the Lodge at the Grand Canyon North Rim.
I am aware that this can be booked up to 13 months in advance and
would guess that it is popular, so we should really be thinking about
making a reservation for a room at the Lodge soon (I know this can be
done on-line); however I am also aware that the North Rim is usually
closed each winter due to snow.

First if all, the North Rim isn't entirely closed during the winters.
People hike across the canyon and stay at the NPS campground near the
main Lodge which remains open year-round (but don't have any tourist
services in winter). There are rangers there all year..

Also, during most recent winters, the road into the North Rim is open
long before (and after) the lodge shuts down for the winter. Note,
however, that they don't plow that road in winter. The Jacob Lake gas
station/lodge will know if the road is passable. Note that "open" to
most people means open for visitor business inside the Park, and not
just that you can't still drive there, but the workers aren't there
yet to serve visitors. It's quite lovely there during the off-months.

Due to the vagaries of climate I realize it is difficult to give a
definite answer, but when is the earliest we can be reasonably sure
that the North Rim will be clear of snow?
We were idly thinking of mid-May/early-June but our plans are
completely flexible - is this too soon??

The problem isn't the snow on the North Rim itself, but the snow on
the paved approach road over the Kaibab Plateau into the North Rim. It
does vary from year-to-year, but by mid-May it is almost always clear.
The opening and closing dates aren't dependent on the weather during
any particular year, but rather on the dates set in the contracts with
the people who staff the tourist services there (lodge, cabins,
restaurant, gift shops, gas station,etc.). These dates are selected to
nearly guarantee that the entrance road will be open by that date.

You should also understand that the North Rim isn't just around Bright
Angel Point, but a vast area with many approach roads, albeit on a
gravel or dirt surfaces. Many of these (e.g. Toroweap Point) can be
driven to year-round with a 4WD vehicle to the campground there.

South West US road trips are something we do fairly frequently but
usually bringing our tent with us and staying in campgrounds, and
usually in the Fall. Next year we have decided to visit in the Spring
in the hope we can see the desert in bloom, and in a moderate degree
of comfort, staying mainly in camping cabins.

If you are prepared to camp in campgrounds (or most anywhere on
Federal lands here) you will have no problems. We camp year-round
throughout the region. If a particular place is closed due to snow (or
rain) we go somewhere else nearby. If you need paved roads or cabins,
however, the choices narrow considerably.

The desert is starting to bloom now and will continue at various
elevations well into summer.

Cheers,

Caveat

Old April 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message
Hi Folks

My wife and I (from the UK) are planning a Southwest US road trip next
Spring.

One place we want to stay is the Lodge at the Grand Canyon North Rim.

I am aware that this can be booked up to 13 months in advance and
would guess that it is popular, so we should really be thinking about
making a reservation for a room at the Lodge soon (I know this can be
done on-line); however I am also aware that the North Rim is usually
closed each winter due to snow.

Due to the vagaries of climate I realize it is difficult to give a
definite answer, but when is the earliest we can be reasonably sure
that the North Rim will be clear of snow?

We were idly thinking of mid-May/early-June but our plans are
completely flexible - is this too soon??

Probably not, the parks service opens the services at the North Rim in
mid May but late spring storms could cause road closures. That
said I have visited in early June with no problem. Check
before you set out and have a fall back plan.

Keith