car rental - Australia and New Zealand

Old August 11th, 2004, 07:27 PM
kansasman

Default car rental - Australia and New Zealand

Alan wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 08:23:37 +0200, "Grinberg"
wrote:

Hi,

We will be renting cars in Sydney, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs, Perth and
Aukland (returning the last in Christchurch). The prices we are quoted
through the internet seem very high, both for local and international
agencies, and the unrealistic mileage quotas in some of the cities (100 km a
day in Alice Springs, for example) very disturbing.

Is there a better way to go about renting cars? Does anyone have any
specific recommendations for companies?

Thanks,

Annice

Hi Annice

In the circumstances, it may be worth contacting one of the
international groups (Hertz, Avis, Budget, National/Alamo etc) to see if
you can set up some sort of special deal using the same group at every
location. Go through head office for that, not the local branch.

Also, check whether you are able to get any discounts for age, motorclub
membership or corporate rates. As Aussies, we joined AARP in America for
their discount at motels and rental cars over there. Check what
insurance cover your credit card provides in case you don't need to take
out the additional insurance the car renters ask for. Gold card cover
saved us several hundred dollars in the US. It may be worth up-grading
your cc if possible to get that cover.

We did have a problem in the UK, when the Edinburgh National/Alamo
agency gave us a free up-grade when we picked up our vehicle (booked via
the net), but the returning agency in Oxford later charged our cc for
the upgraded vehicle at more than double the rate. We didn't see that
bill until months later, after we got home. That took a lot of
frustrating emails and eventually international phone calls to correct -
so always keep all of the documents and contracts from the cars you
rent. We would never have won the battle if we hadn't had copies of the
contract.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Cheers, Alan
--

It is always a smart idea to sign up for or renew your AAA and AARP
cards before you travel, because I have found that some of the most

Old August 11th, 2004, 07:29 PM
kansasman

wrote:

[...]

Signing up for or updating your AAA and AARP cards are an effecient
way to save dollars, euros, pesos...when you travel. Why not?
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:31 PM
kansasman

wrote:

Hi,

We will be renting cars in Sydney, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs, Perth and
Aukland (returning the last in Christchurch). The prices we are quoted
through the internet seem very high, both for local and international
agencies, and the unrealistic mileage quotas in some of the cities (100 km a
day in Alice Springs, for example) very disturbing.

Is there a better way to go about renting cars? Does anyone have any
specific recommendations for companies?

Thanks,

Annice

Signing up for or renewing your AAA and AARP cards has been a real
money saver - it is such an efficient way to save your dollars, euros,
pesos...when you are traveling.

Old August 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM
mack

Grinberg wrote:

Hi,

We will be renting cars in Sydney, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs, Perth and
Aukland (returning the last in Christchurch).

The last 5 times I've been in Sydney,
I've rented in Sydney from Dollar Rent-A-Car in North
Sydney. They are a small operation. The guy I usually
talk to is Ray and his daugther is Fiona. They are
about 5 blocks from the Nth Sydney train station
(which is OK with a pack, but a bit far to lug lots of
luggage). When I'm leaving town and have all my bags,
they drive me to the taxi rank a few blocks away where
I can get a ride to the airport.
They have the best rates, and I'm happy with
the service. I usually get their smallest car.

If you're coming from a country that drives on the other
side of the road, I'd spend a week or so walking around
getting used to the new arrangement. A lot of american
tourists die in Australia (of all tourists they have the
highest death rate). The govt doesn't publish the causes,
but anecdotal stories on my arrival there say it's traffic
accidents (eg head on collisions). Having now driven
on the other side of the road for 25yrs, I find going back
there quite hard.

Also why are you driving so much, you're going to be exhausted?

Joe
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Peter

mack wrote:
Grinberg wrote:

If you're coming from a country that drives on the other
side of the road, I'd spend a week or so walking around
getting used to the new arrangement. A lot of american
tourists die in Australia (of all tourists they have the
highest death rate). The govt doesn't publish the causes,
but anecdotal stories on my arrival there say it's traffic
accidents (eg head on collisions).

Robert Hughes is a case in point. He had a few beers and drove off on
the wrong side of the road until he found a couple of drug runners
coming the other way.

More notably the astronomer Gene Shoemaker died a few years back in an
accident depressingly familiar. He was driving on a narrow outback
road, crested a rise and found a truck heading at him. The normal thing
to do is for each driver to move from the middle of the road to their
side, but of course he naturally moved to the right side of the road,
which as it turned out was the wrong side.

Pete, thinking we should all drive on the right side and end the
confusion