Souvenirs for school class--recommendations?

Old September 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM
ncurtis

temari wrote in message ink.net...
How about some Australian comics?

Also sounds good. In fact, I'm thinking we're all (including me)
forgetting that sometimes it's the everyday, trivial things that can
be the most surprisingly different. So here are still more
suggestions...
kids' and young adult magazines
the "funny pages" from a newspaper or 2
junk food --***check the USDA and US Customs Service to find out
what's OK to bring back and what isn't***
Vegemite (that's a staple, not junk food!).

Depending on your audience, maybe pictures (your own) of everyday
life:
"wrong way" traffic
road signs
2-button toilets
school buses
those Hungry Jack's and Street's Ice Cream signs that look
suspiciously familiar ;-)
electrical outlets (and their switches)
and more...

Nancy

Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM
AlmostBob

Don knock dual flush toilets, there just isnt much water in Aus

--
Ever wonder why Evian water is $3 for a half litre
Try spelling evian backwards

Computer chips are very small, Computers don't eat much.
_ _

om...

Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM
AlmostBob

Don knock dual flush toilets, there just isnt much water in Aus

--
Ever wonder why Evian water is $3 for a half litre
Try spelling evian backwards

Computer chips are very small, Computers don't eat much.
_ _

om...

Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:45 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

forgetting that sometimes it's the everyday, trivial things that can
be the most surprisingly different. So here are still more
suggestions...
kids' and young adult magazines

How about Adult.....period? The one and only (honestly, that's my story and
I'm sticking to it....) Playboy I have ever purchased was the Australian
version which had the interview with Appalling Hanson. Worth its weight
in.....silicone?

the "funny pages" from a newspaper or 2
junk food --***check the USDA and US Customs Service to find out
what's OK to bring back and what isn't***
Vegemite (that's a staple, not junk food!).

Yes indeedy! I brought back several jars just to see the look on people's
"they actually EAT this stuff" faces. Oh, and a few for me too but don't
tell anybody!

and more...

Nova Scotia only requires one (rear) license plate on cars......mine bear my
SA "MAPLE 1" counterparts. Gets some comments!

Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:21 PM
ncurtis

"AlmostBob" wrote in message ...
Don knock dual flush toilets, there just isnt much water in Aus

"ncurtis" wrote in message
om...
| Depending on your audience, maybe pictures (your own) of everyday
| life:
| "wrong way" traffic
| road signs
| 2-button toilets

Not knocking in the slightest--believe me, I understand the necessity.
It's just that they're quite unusual items in the northeastern,
midwestern, and southeastern parts of the U.S., where I've lived, and
so they're one of the things that caught my attention when I first
visited Australia. And be honest--what's more likely to be part of a
typical modern Aussie's life: befriending pelicans and fending off
venomous beasties, or using the toilet? ;-)

Nancy
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:28 PM
ncurtis

Raffi Balmanoukian a wrote in message news:BD765FF1.27140%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTORE PLY.ns.sympatico.ca...
How about Adult.....period? The one and only (honestly, that's my story and
I'm sticking to it....) Playboy I have ever purchased

'sOK, Raffi, you don't have to tell us about the grimier titles you've bought!

Nancy