Mum accused of trafficking daughter in airline blunder

Old March 5th, 2006, 12:19 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Default Mum accused of trafficking daughter in airline blunder

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:29:19 +0100, B wrote:

No, because this child wasn't resident in the EU.

For the information in the article you could have no way of knowing if that
was the case or not.

A 3 week old being taken from the UK to be christened in Italy would tend to
imply the old place she might have been resident at all was the UK.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 00:57:10 on
Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Frank F. Matthews
remarked:

One strange feature of US citizenship laws is that foreign born
children of US citizens may not be US citizens unless the parents have
spent significant time in the US.

Yes, if your American grandparents moved to (say) the UK when they were
adults, your parents would be American citizens when born in the UK.
However, if your parents then lived in UK from birth then they are
unlikely to be able to pass their citizenship to you when you were born
in the UK.

Rumour has it that the Irish are the other extreme - find one Irish
grandparent and ignore everything that's happened in between, and you
can have an Irish passport.

Close. You can use travel time to accumulate credit for being in the
US. I suppose that it is possible that the parents spent enough time
traveling i the US to qualify. As I understand the rule it does not
actually require what we would think of as residence, It does require
several years of presence.

A halfway decent reason to send your kid to university in the US.
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

B Vaughan wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:02:48 +0000, Lansbury
wrote:

It being rather quite at the airport at 2am I did some delving into TIM this
morning to see what it says, and I could make a guess at how this mixed up
happened.

TIM (Travel Information Manual) says that people traveling to Italy require a
passport except, and then goes into many exemptions to that requirement. One
of which is "a child, or any nationality, resident in an EU country". However
on reading the small print you realise that exemption only refers to children
traveling in a school party. The way it was laid out someone not taking the
time to read it fully could well have given the wrong answer.

No, because this child wasn't resident in the EU.

Was the child living in the UK?
Is the UK part of the EU?

So, why would you say the child isn't a resident of the EU?
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

No, because this child wasn't resident in the EU.

I wonder. The article says that she was born in OZ it does not specify
her residency. If she is a UK resident then her child is a UK citizen
and thus an EU resident.

How does here being a UK resident make the child a UK citizen?

Old March 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

mrtravel wrote:

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

No, because this child wasn't resident in the EU.

I wonder. The article says that she was born in OZ it does not specify
her residency. If she is a UK resident then her child is a UK citizen
and thus an EU resident.

How does here being a UK resident make the child a UK citizen?

It is my understanding, that if the mother is legally resident (as opposed
to just visiting), and gives birth in the UK, her child will be born a
British citizen.
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

S Viemeister wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

No, because this child wasn't resident in the EU.

I wonder. The article says that she was born in OZ it does not specify
her residency. If she is a UK resident then her child is a UK citizen
and thus an EU resident.

How does here being a UK resident make the child a UK citizen?

It is my understanding, that if the mother is legally resident (as opposed
to just visiting), and gives birth in the UK, her child will be born a
British citizen.

Do we know she is a legal resident?
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

B writes:

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 22:33:02 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

B wrote:

I read a local paper every day, either Il Resto del Carlino or
Corriere Adriatico, Corriere della Sera (several times a week),
L'Espresso (weekly) and I subscribe to the International Herald
Tribune. The IHT is beginning to irritate me also, as it's giving
more and more space to business news, something in which I have less
than zero interest.

Given that my alternative is the Financial Times, the business isn't a
problem, but is there always so much fashion (= 4 pages/day) or is
that a seasonal thing?

(My subscription to Courrier International is currently lapsing and I
don't want to go back to the Economiste. Hoorah, in which case, for
Bloglines and RSS!)

Des
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

B wrote:

I read a local paper every day, either Il Resto del Carlino or
Corriere Adriatico, Corriere della Sera (several times a week),
L'Espresso (weekly) and I subscribe to the International Herald
Tribune. The IHT is beginning to irritate me also, as it's giving
more and more space to business news, something in which I have less
than zero interest.

Given that my alternative is the Financial Times, the business isn't a
problem, but is there always so much fashion (= 4 pages/day) or is
that a seasonal thing?

It's a seasonal thing, but the seasons tend to run into each other.
That's my second problem with the IHT.

(My subscription to Courrier International is currently lapsing and I
don't want to go back to the Economiste. Hoorah, in which case, for
Bloglines and RSS!)

What is Courier International?

I keep getting solicitations from the Economist, but I hate that
twerpy magazine. I also for a while subscribed to the Guardian
Weekly, but it was overly politicized for me. I would like a good
international news source, reasonably unaligned, which doesn't ignore
Asia, Africa, and South America, with a reasonable amount of cultural
news (books, theatre, art) and little or no business, celebrity
gossip, or fashion.

And I would like it in paper form so that I can balance it on my lap
with a cup of tea while I'm sitting by our kitchen fireplace.

Open to all suggestions.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

(My subscription to Courrier International is currently lapsing and I
don't want to go back to the Economiste. Hoorah, in which case, for
Bloglines and RSS!)

What is Courier International?

It really is "Courrier International". It's a French weekly news
digest. They round up articles from newspapers everywhere (continent
by continent) except France, and translate them into French. It's
very good, but it's more French than I can read on a weekly basis.

http://www.courrierinternational.com/gabarits/html/default_online.asp
should give you enough of a taste. I seem to remember them claiming
to have an Italian sister-paper, but I don't remember the name.

I keep getting solicitations from the Economist, but I hate that
twerpy magazine. I also for a while subscribed to the Guardian
Weekly, but it was overly politicized for me. I would like a good
international news source, reasonably unaligned, which doesn't ignore
Asia, Africa, and South America, with a reasonable amount of cultural
news (books, theatre, art) and little or no business, celebrity
gossip, or fashion.

And I would like it in paper form so that I can balance it on my lap
with a cup of tea while I'm sitting by our kitchen fireplace.

Open to all suggestions.

The search for the less mindlessly neo-liberal Economiste-substitute
is not an easy one, for sure. Someone recently recommended the
Norwegish weekly Morgenbladet, but I'm pretty confident it largely
ignores Asia, Africa and South America.

Which is to say, me too.

Des
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Following up to Mxsmanic :

Some people don't even know they need a passport to travel abroad.

Some people don't seem to know that some people don't need a passport to
travel abroad.
--
Tim C.