Grand Western Loop - ideas?

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

Default Grand Western Loop - ideas?

At some point I intend to make a grand western loop road trip. A
length scenic drive. I have the scenic driving books for California,
Montana, Wyoming and Colorado, but ask if there is some particularly
spectacular place I should definitely see along my route?

I'm driving generally westward along I-10 to Los Angeles, north along
the Pacific Coast Highway to the Olympic Penninsula of Washing State,
east across the North Cascades National Park and on into Montana and
Glacier National Park, then south through Wyoming and Yellowstone /
Grand Teton, then south through Colorado (which I've visited quite a
bit already).

I like beauty drives, fun drives, mountains and lakes.

Have you encountered some place along this general path, that was
pecularly regrettable? Such as someplace usually dangerous or
otherwise a place to avoid?

Thanks, please post!
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old April 28th, 2012, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
[...]

Late last Summer we headed north out of Yellowstone via Livingston and
Harlowton to Havre then west on US2 to St Mary (Glacier). Then over the
Going to the Sun Road through Glacier to Kalispell. From there we followed
US2 through Libby to Bonners Ferry and then down to Coeur d'Alene, Spokane,
Omak and route 20 to Burlington. On a previous occasion we'd avoided Coeur
d'Alene and turned off for Spokane at Sandpoint.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the trip across Montana. Harlowton used
to be a division point on the Milwaukee Road (Railway) and they've got one
of the old electric locos plinthed in the town centre and another (much
smaller) at the preserved depot - there are 2 more in Red Deer I believe.
It really is Big Sky Country out there and it goes on for miles. The
Missouri River is wide and fast flowing even this far from the sea. US2
from Havre west follows the railroad so you keep having enormous freights
coming towards you. And every ten miles or so there is a tiny, half dead,
town which was built by the railroad.

The Going to the Sun Road is everything people say. Get an early start.
We arrived at the visitor centre at the pass at about 1030 and only just got
a parking space. It is worth a stop and the walk to Hidden Lake. By the
time we got back they were turning everyone away from the lot.

My memory of the road from Sandpoint to Spokane is hazy but I think I'd go
that way again rather than via Coeur d'Alene if I get back there.

There's not much between Spokane and Omak but route 20 across the North
Cascades is beautiful. Take food - there are no cafes at about lunch time!

One other comment is that about 10 years ago we exited Yellowstone over the
Beartooth (the North East exit) which is stupendous. The car we had that
year had a very weird gearbox with no real low gear capability and I didn't
really enjoy relying on the brakes for the descent but it's worth stopping
in the various pullouts along the way so we just did that to make sure the
brakes didn't overheat (I once watched someone on Pikes Peak arrive at the
half way checkpoint with brakes that I could see were red hot!).

The Olympic Peninsular is worth circumnavigating. Be warned about Forks.
I had it in mind as a logging town (and it is) but it's also where the
Twilight books are set (no I hadn't heard about them either) and the stores
now carry everything Twilight! Go into the Hoh Rainforest and also onto
the ridge above Port Angeles (name escapes me). Consider cutting across to
the Townsend Edmonds ferry instead of driving all the way back to Tacoma or
even taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria (BC) spending a few days
on Vancouver Island before returning to Port Angeles. If you do go to
Vancouver Island you need to allow a couple of nights minimum on the West
Coast.

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Sounds great.
Parts of LA at night are places to avoid.
From Hearst Castle up, it a great drive.
If time is not an issue, spend a night in Carmel, Pacific Grove, maybe
Pebble Beach.
In SF do the "49 mile drive" ( tourist trap but you'll see a lot).
Check HERE for LOTS of California travel/driving info:
http://touringsfo.info/index.html
Such as: "This route is highly recommended because the spectacularity of the
trip insignificates the time/distance premium. It's best to take two days,
spending the first night in Monterey, Carmel, or Pacific Grove"

In Oregon: do a Crater Lake, Mt Hood loop. They have Scenic Route there too.

In northwest , depending upon time of year, some roads close for the season,
so check your proposed route in advance.

Enjoy

Old April 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

[...]

More thoughts - this time on the I-10 corridor.

It depends how far you are prepared to deviate but in Texas go down to Big
Bend. The trouble with that idea is that in the same area but north of
I-10 you've got Carlsbad Caverns (stay for the bat flight), Roswell (for a
laugh), the Guadelupes and White Sands. If I had to choose I'd go to Big
Bend but the choice would not be an easy one. Once you cross into New
Mexico you can deviate north to Silver City and the Gila Mountains where
there's a cliff dwelling similar to Mesa Verde but much less visited and
just outside Silver City there's a state park of rocks (can't remember the
name) and an enormous copper pit. Then you get to Arizona where south of
the interstate you can deviate to the Chiricahuas (sp?) for hiking and
Tombstone for a bit of fun. Then you get to Tucson which has a very good
aircraft museum and the USAF bone yard.

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Start he
http://www.us-parks.com/road-trip.html

I did similar trip / advice a few years ago.
Here's part of my thread/responses then a link to entire thread. My Subject
line was
" Oregon / Wash Road trip " Link to newsgroup thread - he

http://tinyurl.com/OR-WA-roadtrip

I got LOTS of feedback. I took trip in Sept so might want to skip down - I
got a LOT of pointers.

I stopped at Oregon Caves, Crater Lake, Mt Hood, Lewis and Clark Museum,
Tillamook Cheese Factory ( I know, but everyone told me to do it), Mt
Rainer, Mt St Helens. Weather was bad in northwest corner so we skipped
Olympia Nat'l Park as well as Seattle.

In Northern California we went to Josiah (somelastname) redwood forest then
looped back - up the coast. The redwoods there were impressive. NOTE it is
a LONG way into the trees. I met a few folks who where told by a ranger to
"park your car here". They had been walking for 20 minutes in when I came
upon them and gave them a ride back.

I have a lot of saved articles such as:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/04/15...l/15hours.html

but when I click links in my saved files, much of it is not online any
longer. Plenty out there. AAA used to have files for "North Oregon Coast
Trip Route" as well as "South" . Again - I have the files but couldn't find
a good link today.

I uploaded a trip video , but "too long" for YouTube.

===========================
"Mimi" wrote in message
news

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

old info snipped
If doing "roughly" these loops:
http://www.us-parks.com/portland_crater_lake.html
http://www.us-parks.com/olympic_saint_helens.html

Does it matter ? should I head out of Portland and go south to Crater
Lake route to CA line then head north - UP the coast - or head from
Portland to nw tip ( via Seattle ?) and then drive from north to south ?
( Different coastline views while driving ? )

How's the weather in the mountains looking ?
Should I organize one area to do first ( 'before the snow' for example)

Are you going this year? If so, better go soon. It can snow in the
Cascades in September. Also the weather deteriorates after September.

And you are missing some good places. Like the Columbia Gorge, the San
Juan Islands in Washington. Of course, we must all make choices, but you
might want to give up some time on the Oregon Coast for the Gorge.

Marianne

Yes, heading there Sept 19th for 2 weeks: that's why asking for specifics
now. I WAS gonna go there in May but too much snow in mountains, so
thought I'd maybe squeeze in both the coast and the mtns in trip.

I've always wanted to drive the coast so don't want to miss that. ( I've
done all of east coast as well as : west coast from SF down to San Diego, so
want to do WA/ OR coastline to ' see it all'.)

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Sounds great.
Parts of LA at night are places to avoid.
From Hearst Castle up, it a great drive.

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Aha ! I found the new version of TRIP ROUTE link:
http://www.oregon.aaa.com/Default.as...w.goo gle.com

AAA is American Auto Association and they have "Drive trip routes"
Here's some for the northwest part of country.
IF you should enter up at a " MAIN AAA page" and need to "Enter a zipcode so
we can best serve you" , enter 97217 ( Portland Oregon)

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Start he
http://www.us-parks.com/road-trip.html

I did similar trip / advice a few years ago.
Here's part of my thread/responses then a link to entire thread. My
Subject line was
[...]

"Mimi" wrote in message
news

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Sounds great.
Parts of LA at night are places to avoid.
From Hearst Castle up, it a great drive.

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

Thanks for all those ideas! It is definitely getting a print-out and
cross-reference to my motoring atlas!

On 2012-04-29 10:53:35 -0500, Graham Harrison said:
[...]

Well I have not been to Big Bend, but it is a rather larger diversion.
Hmm. Will have to think about it.

I've visited Guadalupe Mtns and Calsbad before, pretty swell. I took
the foot path down into the caves - the best route. Also brought a
hand lantern to shine in all the dark areas.

I've been out toe Tuscon too to visit the national park, but I did not
even know the boneyard was there. I wonder if you can go inside and
check it out.

I'll note your other tips and find them on the map. Thanks again!

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

On 2012-04-28 18:05:17 -0500, - Bobb - said:

Sounds great.

Wow I've really scored on r.t.u-c! I will check into all your suggestions.

Unfortunately I was intended to drive-through Oregon as they don't let
you pump your own gas and that's something I need to do for myself.
Love volcanoes, though, too bad.

I wasn't planning to visit Los Angeles except to drive through it. I
guess.. the tar pits would be pretty cool but that would mean dealing
with "LA". I'm afraid all I know about that city is what I see on The
Shield.. no thanks.

Thanks for all those little tips.

I need to dedicate some future weekend to detailed planning. I mean,
detailed map-marking. So the subsequent trip itself can be fluid.

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

On 2012-04-29 10:53:35 -0500, Graham Harrison said:
[...]

It's the Pima museum and they also operate the boneyard tours
http://www.pimaair.org/view.php?pg=11

I know what you mean about Big Bend being a long way. It took us most of a
day from Midland to the visitor center/motel and when we left we only got to
Fort Davis. It's somewhere you want to spend at least a day even if you
only intend a bit of windshield sightseeing.

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

On 2012-04-28 18:05:17 -0500, - Bobb - said:

I need to dedicate some future weekend to detailed planning. I mean,
detailed map-marking. So the subsequent trip itself can be fluid.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda
Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

Do it on Google Maps - easy to modify as you go. Just before starting email
it to yourself. You can pull it up as you travel.