Best Route - Dickinson, N.D. to Glacier N.P.?

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Anonymous

Default Best Route - Dickinson, N.D. to Glacier N.P.?

Early next month I'll be driving from Dickinson, North Dakota to Cut
Bank,
Montana, just short of Glacier National Park. I'd appreciate any
insight as
to which of two routes to take.

I took most of the first route in 2000 when I last visited Glacier --
I-94
to Glendive, MT, then 200S and 13 to Wolf Point, and U.S. 2 the rest
of the
way. (In 2000, I took U.S. 85 north, saw the north unit of Theodore
Roosevelt N.P., and picked up U.S. 2 by Williston, N.D.) The route
goes
through a number of small, dusty towns, as well as some larger ones,
and was
fascinating for an easterner, in terms scenery and in seeing the way
other
people live. I wouldn't mind going that way again. According to
Mapquest,
if I bypass Williston and take the most direct way, it is 533 miles.

The alternative also involves taking Route 200S from Glendive, but
heading
west along Route 200 through Lewistown and Great Falls, taking I-15
north to
Shelby and then U.S. 2 west to Cut Bank. Between Glendive and
Lewistown,
there doesn't seem to be much of anything, especially people. How
does this
route compare with the northern route in terms of scenery and services
(especially gas, and -- God forbid -- a breakdown)? It would be 556
miles,
according to Mapquest.

A third possibility is picking up U.S. 12 at Forsyth, Montana, west of
Miles
City, and taking it to U.S. 87 north, then to Route 200 and Lewistown.
But
this would be 609 miles, so it's not really in contention.

Thanks.
--multiplaza.nl.nu--