American tourists and political questions about the US presidentialelection

Old October 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
stonej

Default American tourists and political questions about the US presidentialelection

Just an FYI to Europeans and others, there is an intense interest in
the US presidential election
around the world but Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation, so if you meet an
American and hit them with questions about the US presidential
election do not be offended if you get only a quick cursory answer or
an attempt to immediately change the subject.

An old saying in the US is "don't talk about politics or religion"
they are taboo subjects for
many (but not all) Americans.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

"Henry" wrote in message
stonej wrote:

...Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation...

An old saying in the US is "don't talk about politics or religion"
they are taboo subjects for
many (but not all) Americans.

Considering the state of American politics, that's no surprise! ha ha

The OP is misinformed. Americans abroad won't shut up about their elections.
They're usually astonished when I tell them I don't follow the campaign and
have no interest in their system or who's elected to or selected for any
job.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_4_]

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:16:31 +0530, grusl wrote in post :
:

"Henry" wrote in message
stonej wrote:

...Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation...

An old saying in the US is "don't talk about politics or religion"
they are taboo subjects for
many (but not all) Americans.

Considering the state of American politics, that's no surprise! ha ha

The OP is misinformed. Americans abroad won't shut up about their elections.
They're usually astonished when I tell them I don't follow the campaign and
have no interest in their system or who's elected to or selected for any
job.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

but....but... how can you not be interested? It's so.... interesting.
--
Tim C.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sue Veneer

On 22 Oct, 08:28, "Tim C." wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:16:31 +0530, grusl wrote in post :
:

"Henry" wrote in message
.. .

but this is ****ing funny...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzoyADkoFUk
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

"Henry" wrote in message
stonej wrote:

...Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation...

An old saying in the US is "don't talk about politics or religion"
they are taboo subjects for
many (but not all) Americans.

Considering the state of American politics, that's no surprise! ha ha

The OP is misinformed. Americans abroad won't shut up about their
elections. They're usually astonished when I tell them I don't follow the
campaign and have no interest in their system or who's elected to or
selected for any job.

One American (Washington Post journalist, Art Buchwald?) told once that
American folks are very eager to follow American policies across the globe
but they don't bother to walk across the home street to their polling
station.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

"Henry" wrote in message
stonej wrote:

...Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation...

An old saying in the US is "don't talk about politics or religion"
they are taboo subjects for
many (but not all) Americans.

Considering the state of American politics, that's no surprise! ha ha

The OP is misinformed. Americans abroad won't shut up about their
elections.
They're usually astonished when I tell them I don't follow the campaign
and
have no interest in their system or who's elected to or selected for any
job.

but....but... how can you not be interested? It's so.... interesting.

Maybe in a few decades I'll be. Right now I'm trying to order 'FDR' by Jean
Edward Smith off Amazon.

Wading through Orhan Pamuk's 'Istanbul' at the moment. He's not an easy read
but this book is not as tough as his fiction.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:30:32 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

One American (Washington Post journalist, Art Buchwald?) told once that
American folks are very eager to follow American policies across the globe
but they don't bother to walk across the home street to their polling
station.

I heard a prediction today for an expected turnout in the state where
I live of 85-90%.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:56:16 -0700, stonej wroteÂ*:

Just an FYI to Europeans and others, there is an intense interest in the
US presidential election
around the world but Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation, so if you meet an
American and hit them with questions about the US presidential election
do not be offended if you get only a quick cursory answer or an attempt
to immediately change the subject.

Locals and tourist seldom have enough time to talk about such as politics
or religion. Tourist have only enough time to ask their way and inquire
for sites and restaurants. Locals are busy living their lives.

JE
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_1_]

JuanElorza:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:56:16 -0700, stonej wrote*:

[...] so if you meet an
American and hit them with questions about the US presidential election
do not be offended if you get only a quick cursory answer or an attempt
to immediately change the subject.

Locals and tourist seldom have enough time to talk about such [things] as
politics or religion.

Then...who does?
r.t.e.-denizens, only?

--
Erick

Old October 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 21 Oct, 19:56, stonej wrote:
Just an FYI to Europeans and others, there is an intense interest in
the US presidential election
around the world but Americans have traditionally shied away from
talking about politics in casual conversation, so if you meet an
American and hit them with questions about the US presidential
election do not be offended if you get only a quick cursory answer or
an attempt to immediately change the subject.

An old saying in the US is "don't talk about politics or religion"
they are taboo subjects for
many (but not all) Americans.

Well, they themselves are all making enough noise about both at the
moment!

Surreyman