Washington DC => Arlington, VA

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Moritz Kahl

Default Washington DC => Arlington, VA

Hello,

Is there public transport between Arlington and Washington DC?
My hotel is in Airlington (Lee Highway).
Is the way safe at night?

Can I get a plan or timetable online?

Thanks
Moritz Kahl

Old October 10th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Miguel Cruz

Moritz Kahl wrote:
Is there public transport between Arlington and Washington DC?

Yes, lots. They are directly adjacent (just a river between them, with 4
bridges, all of which take pedestrians and cars, one of which takes Metro,
plus an additional tunnel for Metro).

My hotel is in Airlington (Lee Highway).

Unfortunately Lee Highway is mostly not convenient to the Metro, so you'll
probably have to take a bus or walk a bit. Where on Lee Highway is it?

Is the way safe at night?

Yes, Arlington is quite safe.

Can I get a plan or timetable online?

www.wmata.com - put in the addresses and it will find you something.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 10th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Moritz Kahl

Yes, lots. They are directly adjacent (just a river between them, with 4
bridges, all of which take pedestrians and cars, one of which takes Metro,
plus an additional tunnel for Metro).

Great!
First i thought: "Oh Virginia, probably a long ride"

Unfortunately Lee Highway is mostly not convenient to the Metro, so you'll
probably have to take a bus or walk a bit. Where on Lee Highway is it?

1401 Lee Highway Arlington, VA 22209

www.wmata.com - put in the addresses and it will find you something.

It seems, that they drive a night, too. ;-)

Thanks
Moritz

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Miguel Cruz

Moritz Kahl wrote:
1401 Lee Highway Arlington, VA 22209

In that case you're in luck; that's downtown Rosslyn, just a 5 minute walk
to the Metro station.

Old October 11th, 2003, 04:52 AM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:44:28 +0200, Moritz Kahl
wrote:

Hello,

Is there public transport between Arlington and Washington DC?
My hotel is in Airlington (Lee Highway).
Is the way safe at night?

I just returned from a trip to Washington DC - many people gave us
good advice on this group.

To travel around we found the day pass $6 for the metro was a great
bargain. You can get on and off as many times as you like and the
metro goes to many of the important tourist sites. And we met many
people there who talked to us about our visit.

Another way to get around is the "Tourmobile" which is a series of
busses that make the rounds directly from tourist site to tourist
site. A pass is $20 but is a lot more convenient than the metro.
This is a good way to hit the sites one day for a quick visit, look
around, take some pictures, and then get on a bus to the next one.
They run every 15 or 20 minutes from each site.
Check out their web pages- and you can read about each site on the web
pages. http://www.tourmobile.com/sites-stops/stopmap.html

We walked most days and enjoyed the exercise but it was A LOT of
walking.

PS- does anyone know why RFK's grave is where it is?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old October 12th, 2003, 04:50 AM
pltrgyst

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:49:35 +0200, Moritz Kahl
wrote:

1401 Lee Highway Arlington, VA 22209

That would be the Marriott Key Bridge, right on the river at the VA
end of Key Bridge, opposite Georgetown section of DC. About a
three-minute walk from DC, and a one minute walk from the Rosslyn
Metro station.

-- Larry

Old October 12th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Jon Bell

wrote:

1401 Lee Highway Arlington, VA 22209

That would be the Marriott Key Bridge, right on the river at the VA
end of Key Bridge, opposite Georgetown section of DC.

I've stayed nearby at the Best Western Key Bridge a few times, when I've
accompanied our political science department on spring-break trips to DC.
They use it because they can get a good group rate. The neighborhood is
almost completely dead after about 6 pm, except for the Orleans Steak
House (restaurant). There also used to be an Australian theme pub that
our students visited when they didn't feel like hiking over to Georgetown.
(it's been a few years since our last trip, so I don't know if it's still
open)

About a
three-minute walk from DC, and a one minute walk from the Rosslyn
Metro station.

That three-minute walk applies only to Georgetown, of course. It's quite
a bit further to the Mall area where most of the sights are.
Nevertheless, the walk along the river from the Kennedy Center past
Georgetown is nice, and worth doing once if you have time and good
weather. And the Metro will take you to other places quickly.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:28 PM
me

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message . ..
[snip]
PS- does anyone know why RFK's grave is where it is?

'Cause that's where they buried him rim shot

Okay. Waddaya mean? Do you mean a bit to the left and
up a little bit? I presume 'cause that's where it fit.
Or do ya mean up with his brother?