caribbean cruise february 09

Old October 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Alain

Default caribbean cruise february 09

Hi group

i will be doing a caribbean cruise in february 2009 and would like your
reccomendation on shore excursion

here is the port
St-Thomas
St-Lucia
Dominica
Barbados
St-Kitts
Antigua
Puerto Rico

Thanks
Alain

Old October 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

"Alain" wrote
Hi group

i will be doing a caribbean cruise in february 2009 and would like your
reccomendation on shore excursion

here is the port
St-Thomas
St-Lucia
Dominica
Barbados
St-Kitts
Antigua
Puerto Rico

Thanks
Alain

Is this the Victory? I'm doing it B2B in Feb for my birthday.

I'm not really into excursions, myself. But in St Lucia, you should do
something that takes you through the volcanic mountain. I didn't do it, but
a close friend of mine was on the cruise with me and apparently I missed a
great day! Make sure you try their local Piton beer.

In Barbados, I have 3 words... The Boat Yard! If you're into beaches,
drinks, massages etc... this is THE place to be. I always ask the crew where
they like to go when they're in port. I only got one answer for Barbados and
that was The Boat Yard.

In St Thomas, on one of the cruises (at least) I plan to take the ferry over
to St John.

In Antigua, all I've done was hang out at a local bar and get to know some
locals.

I just shopped in St Kitts, so I can't help you there.

Never been to Dominica.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to the Southern Caribbean. The
only thing I'll miss will be a long day in Aruba and a great beach day in
Venezuela LOVED those 2 ports.

LES!

Old October 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"Alain" wrote in message
Hi group
i will be doing a caribbean cruise in february 2009 and would like your
reccomendation on shore excursion
here is the port
St-Thomas
St-Lucia
Dominica
Barbados
St-Kitts
Antigua
Puerto Rico

I can only speak for St Lucia. The volcano tour was just so so, but the
botanical garden was great and we really enjoyed a tour that had a catamaran
side back to Castries (stopped at a private beach for swimming). The Pitons
are a must see too. Be sure to use a restroom before you leave the ship or
the pier area- the one we were led to was the nastiest one I have even seen.
Paul Johnson

Old October 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Alain

Thanks for your reply

Yes it is the Victory on February 1st
i will definitly look at whats available i like the idea of the volcanic
mountain and will also look in barbados for the boat yard

thanks again

Old October 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Alain" wrote:

Hi group

i will be doing a caribbean cruise in february 2009 and would like your
reccomendation on shore excursion

here is the port
St-Thomas

Three possibilities (and none of them require a ship tour)

a) Take the sky ride (just walk up there from the ship) and then take a taxi to
Coki Beach and Coral World (aquarium)
b) Take the ferry to St. John (take a taxi to Red Hook and take that ferry over
and then take the Charlotte Amalie ferry back which keeps you out of a lot of
the rush hour traffic on St. John between Red Hook and the dock)
c) Take a taxi tour around St. Thomas

St-Lucia

I wanted to do whale watching here, but it was canceled because I think it was
the wrong time of year. I would also have liked to do the zip line, but I did
the Aerial Tram instead.

Dominica

I would have liked to do the boiling lake trip, but it was too strenuous for me.
We did the aerial tram, but it was pretty much the same as the other aerial tram

Barbados

I've been to Barbados a couple of times both by cruise ship and on land. When
we came by plane for a week, we went to the Barbados Museum, Animal Flower
Caves, St. Nicholas Abbey, Andromeda Gardens, Welshman's Hall Gully and
Harrison's Cave. Of those places I would recommend St. Nicholas Abbey which I
would like to go back to but it has been closed whenever we were back there.

Once I had a friend rent a car and we drove around the island and looked for
lighthouses. Coming down Cherry Tree hill and driving along the east coast to
Bathsheba is spectacular.

One visit I just took a taxi in to Bridgetown and walked around there. I think
I could have taken a bus in, but I couldn't find it.

The only ships tour I took went to Orchid World Sunbury Plantation House and St.
Johns Church - it was called The Best of Barbados, and I thought it was a pretty
good tour.

St-Kitts

We loved the train on St. Kitts

Antigua

We took the Nelson's Dockyard tour and liked it

Puerto Rico

I booked a private guide who took us out to El Yunque National Forest and then
drove us around Old San Juan and to Ft.Cristobal. I think you can hire someone
right off the dock to drive you around if you want.
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:

a) Take the sky ride (just walk up there from the ship)

If the ship docks at Havensight you can walk, but not if the ship docks
at Crown Bay.

St-Lucia

I wanted to do whale watching here, but it was canceled because I think it was
the wrong time of year.

We did the whale watching here and it was a pleasant ride, but we didn't
see any whales. They do warn that this might happen.

St-Kitts

We loved the train on St. Kitts

Next time we are in St Kitts this is what I want to do.

When we were there we took an excursion that took us the the Batik
Factory, an art gallery and included lunch on a plantation. I was
disappointed that they only showed us how they make Batik, but we didn't
get to see it being made. The art gallery was very pleasant and the
lunch was Indian food that was very, very good. The tour was a bit
pricey, but we felt we got our moneys worth.

Antigua

We took the Nelson's Dockyard tour and liked it

Same with us!! In Antigua there is Nelson's Dockyard or beaches, not
much else to see or do.

sue
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 10/17/2008 2:58 PM Sue Mullen did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:

Rosalie B. wrote:

[...]

Sue,

Thanks for quoting Rosalie. All I got was black letters on a black
background. Dominica has much to offer but I doubt you'd get to do much
during a cruise stop. See this link for some ideas. Dominica Travel &
Tourism: http://www.avirtualdominica.com/tourism.cfm

The Boiling Lake is hard to get to, it's almost a full day trip. But,
it's well worth it when doing a land based vacation. Dominica has some
great scuba and snorkeling. The island has many waterfalls worth
seeing. Some you can even swim in the pool at the bottom, Trafalgar
Falls being the most famous. Beaches range from rocky, white powdery
sand, to black volcanic sand depending on what part of the island you visit.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera