Carrying driver's licenses across states?

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ramon F Herrera

Default Carrying driver's licenses across states?

I keep on hearing unsubstantiated and contradictory information about
using a valid driver's license across the USA. My DL was issued in
Massachusetts and will expire in 2009. In the last 2 years I have
driven about 70K+ miles, across some 30 states, and now I have a
postal address in Texas.

I am told told by a friend, a TX resident, that my MA driver's license
(same as foreign country licenses) is only good for 30 days. However,
cops have seen my license and didn't have any problem with it.

Another version that I find hard to believe: my friend says that TX
accepts licenses only from states or countries which accepts TX-issued
DLs. I didn't know that reciprocity applied here. Since when is TX in
the business of making international reciprocity agreements? That is a
federal issue. I claim that the driver's licenses issued by any US
state can be used in all US states, with no need for bilateral
negotiations.

-Ramon

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Your MA license is only good as long as YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF MA. If you
move elsewhere, e.g. to Texas, you have a short time, e.g. 30 days, to get a
license from your NEW state of residence. Period. End of discussion.

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

[...]

The licenses are good everywhere, but if Texas claims you are a resident
they will say you had an obligation to apply for a Texas license.
I frankly don't know what the downside is if you just ignore them; but I
would find out if I were you. They must have a website that explains it.

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ramon F Herrera

On Jun 19, 10:28 am, "sharx35" wrote:
"Ramon F Herrera" wrote in oglegroups.com...

[...]

Well, the issue is whether I am a TX resident or not. I keep a MA
apartment and have a TX postal address. I have been staying in hotels
and at friends'.

The other part of my question is still open: is there some sort of
reciprocity. Is there any case in which DLs from one state are not
accepted by other state?

-Ramon

Old June 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
[...]

If you have dual residency and this is going to continue for a long
period of time then you should probably consult a lawyer.

However in practice unless the cop is "throwing the book at you" it's a
non-issue.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:36:44 -0700, Ramon F Herrera
wrote:

[...]

Recipocity is generally required among states, which are
constitutionally required to accord "full faith and credit" to
the actions of other states.

No matter where you own property, most states require you to
acquire a local DL and license plates if you are effectively
resident in that state, usually within ten or thirty days or so.

What, exactly, constitutes residency is a tougher question. Armed
services personnel aren't usually considered resident, nor are
college students even if they are in Texas more than they are
their home state. And, here in the Southwest, snowbirds, winter
residents, aren't considered resident although, truth be told,
some of them spend more time in Arizona than in their home
states. Niether are long term tourists.

But if you take a job in Texas, you are almost certainly
considered a resident.

Now the police aren't generally going to take a lot of time
looking for people to cite about this. If they stop you it's a
simple matter to tell them you're just visiting, should they ask.
Unless they have some definite evidence you should have Texas DL
and plates, they're not going to do anything.

On the other hand, when I first moved to Arizona I got a job at
Hughes Aircraft here. I found that the county's sheriff's
deputies lurked out on the main road, and if you were seen coming
out of the Hughes parking lot with a non-Arizona license plate
they stopped you and issued a citation.

Other thibngs might arouse suspicion. If, say, the police run a
speed trap along a certain highway and notice that you pass by
every morning at 7:38 and have out-of-state plates, they may find
a reason to stop you and check you out.

Old June 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Toller"
wrote:

The licenses are good everywhere, but if Texas claims you are a resident
they will say you had an obligation to apply for a Texas license.

I would argue that if you maintain an apartment, a license from that
location should be sufficient as residency, having a POBOX elsewhere
wouldn't negate that.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

jdoe wrote on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:40:47 -0400:

?? I keep on hearing unsubstantiated and contradictory
?? information about using a valid driver's license across
?? the USA. My DL was issued in Massachusetts and will expire
?? in 2009. In the last 2 years I have driven about 70K+
?? miles, across some 30 states, and now I have a postal
?? address in Texas.
??
?? Another version that I find hard to believe: my friend
says that
?? TX accepts licenses only from states or countries which
?? accepts TX-issued DLs. I didn't know that reciprocity
?? applied here. Since when is TX in the business of making
?? international reciprocity agreements? That is a federal
?? issue. I claim that the driver's licenses issued by any US
?? state can be used in all US states, with no need for
?? bilateral negotiations.
??
?? -Ramon
j you are having trouble grasping the plainly written laws
j that apply in just about every state.
j most states give you 30 days to switch your license to their
j state when you move into that state, you appear to live in
j texas, you need to get a texas drivers license.
j you no longer reside in MASS and regardless of the
j expiration date, theoretically your license is invalid.

I know someone who works and resides in Maryland. He also has
Wyoming plates on his cars and has done so for 40 years. He does
own a ranch in Wyoming and, AFAIK, has never had any problems
tho' he does not seem to spend much time there.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old June 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

"Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

If you have a MA apartment and no permanent address in TX, I would be
willing to bet that the worst anyone would do is require you to get a TX
license; so I wouldn't worry about it unless someone catches you. I
mistakenly assumed that you had actually moved to TX, and that doesn't seem
to be the case.

Old June 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:27:44 GMT, "Toller"
wrote:

If you have a MA apartment and no permanent address in TX, I would be
willing to bet that the worst anyone would do is require you to get a TX
license; so I wouldn't worry about it unless someone catches you. I
mistakenly assumed that you had actually moved to TX, and that doesn't seem
to be the case.

Usually the citation merely requires you to get a DL and plates
within a certain number of days.