PV - groceries, ATMs

Old June 20th, 2004, 06:04 PM
FR

Default PV - groceries, ATMs

How are the prices of food (not restaurants) in Puerto Vallarta? Can you
find regular groceries in the downtown area with a fairly wide selection of
food and non-food items?

Is it advisable to purchase prescriptions in PV?

What about changing money - is it better to change money in the US befre
going to PV or are the exchange rates from ATM's, banks, etc., comparable?

What about using credit cards - are the exchange rates reasonable?

FR

Old June 20th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Brian K

On 06/20/2004 1:04 PM FR seeking osculation, jotted down:

How are the prices of food (not restaurants) in Puerto Vallarta? Can you
find regular groceries in the downtown area with a fairly wide selection of
food and non-food items?

Is it advisable to purchase prescriptions in PV?

What about changing money - is it better to change money in the US befre
going to PV or are the exchange rates from ATM's, banks, etc., comparable?

What about using credit cards - are the exchange rates reasonable?

FR

You get a better exchange rate from an ATM. Try and take out only those
Pesos you think you'll need. Going back to US Dollars at the PV Airport
or in the States varies. You're better off if you spend all your Pesos
in Mexico.

Credit Cards: You'll discover they don't take Discovercard. I don't
know why, but VISA / Mastercard, Amex, Diner's Club are preferred
usually in that order. Rates are usually good with VISA/Mastercard,
but Amex too.

I worked in a major US pharmaceutical house. Stuff that doesn't meet
FDA standards and in-house purity is usually transfered to the
international devision for sale in Mexico, the Caribbean and Latin
America.

If you want to risk buying meds that may be contaminated with another
product go for it. It's not an urban legend. A guy had severe acne
and was on a regimen of antibiotics. He was in Mexico and decided to
stock up. After 3 months he started growing breasts. Turns out the
antibiotic was cross-contaminated with components of birth control
pills. On short term use there was no effect. But on long term the
end result were undesirable secondary female characteristics.

Personally I wouldn't chance it.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old June 20th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Sheila

The food prices at the grocery stores are comparable to what we pay here in
the states. Fruits and veggies might be a lot cheaper. There are several
excellent "American Style" supermarkets such as Mega, Gigante and the ever
popular Walmart and Sam's Club. There are also some wonderful local markets
where you can purchase fresh fruits and vegetables as well as meats.

We find the exchange rate great from ATM's. Our bank does not charge for
this service and I found most of the banks there do not either. Some of the
banks are very good too. You just have to keep your eyes open as you look
about and see what the banks and cambios (money exchange booths) are
offering as a rate.

Credit cards are widely accepted and the only problem we have found is that
our own bank charges a fee for an exchange rate.

You might want to go to an excellent site about PV that has an wonderful
message board. Lots of opinions and advice...most extremely helpful.
www.pub69ezboard.com/btodopuertovallarta

I hope this has helped....Sheila in NJ

We have also purchased prescription meds. in PV....no problem.

Old June 20th, 2004, 09:14 PM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:04:00 -0400, "FR" wrote:

How are the prices of food (not restaurants) in Puerto Vallarta? Can you
find regular groceries in the downtown area with a fairly wide selection of
food and non-food items?

They're ok.

Is it advisable to purchase prescriptions in PV?

Absolutely.

What about changing money - is it better to change money in the US befre
going to PV or are the exchange rates from ATM's, banks, etc., comparable?

Feh. Pesos are cheap, it was my experience that you can do it there
just as easily, if you don't mind waiting in line for a teller.

What about using credit cards - are the exchange rates reasonable?

Dunno about this. But I will say I hated PV (lousy beaches fraught
with aggressive vendors; everyone you meet will try to interest you in
a "deal") but the food was good and cheap.

FR

Old June 21st, 2004, 11:41 AM
FR

Thanks for all your comments. You have been most helpful. I think I am
ready for my trip - leaving for PV on June 26.

Only concern is the daily stormy weather. How to best prepare for and work
around that?

Old June 21st, 2004, 06:53 PM
Joe Clancy

"FR" wrote in message ...
Thanks for all your comments. You have been most helpful. I think I am
ready for my trip - leaving for PV on June 26.

Only concern is the daily stormy weather. How to best prepare for and work
around that?

The best advise I can give you is to buy a raincoat and umbrella.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM
Brian K

On 06/21/2004 6:41 AM FR seeking osculation, jotted down:

Thanks for all your comments. You have been most helpful. I think I am
ready for my trip - leaving for PV on June 26.

Only concern is the daily stormy weather. How to best prepare for and work
around that?

Stormy weather in PV is like in all the tropics. A storm will blow up,
blow and rain like crazy for about 10 - 25 minutes then the sun will
come out. The rain is usually refreshing after being in the sun.
Unless lightning is involved, I don't even bother leaving the beach. I
just kick back under a palapa and have me a tropical drink. If it's
getting close to lunch or dinner, I'll walk back in the rain to let
nature wash the ocean off me.

I was at another Mexican resort with my sister when it started to rain
while we were shopping. We broke into a chorus of "Singin' In The Rain"
and did a little soft shoe in the puddles. The locals were probably
looking at us like "loco gringo tourists", but we did get some
applause. 8-)

You're on vacation. Don't think of it as rain. Think of it as liquid
sun. ;-)

--
________