Malaria In India

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Dave Wheeler

Default Malaria In India

A doctor or pharmacist will always (quite rightly) advise a programme
of malaria tablets for a visit anywhere in India. However, does this
in practise refer to rural areas? India is our last stop on an Asian
trip we have undertaken and our flight ticket is into and out of
Delhi. However, my wife has become pregnant. Malaria tablets should
not be taken in pregnancy - but then, neither should contracting
malaria! The question is, is it safe to spend a short time in Delhi
without malaria protection (I have heard that the cities are
essentially safe), or is the wisest thing to rearrange flights to skip
India altogether? Obviously, we have to be sensible, but on the other
hand we don´t want to overreact unnecessarily.
Thanks
Dave
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Sony E.

Hi Dave.
Can you imaging how it would be like if there were a malaria epidemic
situation in Delhi
a city with almost 10.000.000 people.
People dying all over the place after being stung of the malaria mosquito.
I have been travelling all over India,and have even been drinking the
tapwater in some places (not advisable)
and I have never had any kind of diseases and I don't use any kind of
prophylactic pills.
What I now the mosquitoes in Delhi are exterminated by DDT.
And so in most of the city's in India.
I would be more concerned of that chock you will have when you enter the
streets in Delhi
Enjoy your trip

Old February 8th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Per Löwdin

The question is, is it safe to spend a short time in Delhi
without malaria protection (I have heard that the cities are
essentially safe),

Yes, however, take some sensible precautions: e.g., stay in a decent hotel
with AC or a good fan. Generally the risk is very low. I have spent years in
India without ever taking malaria profilactics and never got malaria.

I doubt there is malaria in Delhi at all but occasionally there are
outbreaks of dengue fever. It is essential to avoid mosquito bites. Indian
mosquitos generally only come out at night fall, so in the evenings it is
smart to cover up a bit, long sleeves etc. As long as you are in urban
environments you should be ok.

Per