Best Way To Call from Cell Phone to U.S. in Puerto Vallarta?

Old June 20th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Will

Default Best Way To Call from Cell Phone to U.S. in Puerto Vallarta?

I have a friend visiting Puerto Vallarta, and she cannot figure
out how to make calls on her cell phone to the U.S. She is
using an AT&T Wireless phone (now Cingular). Does anyone have
experience with this?

When I call her cell phone she answers and the reception is
great. But she cannot find any combination of digits that will
get her any kind of signal. She gets GPRS reception for
Internet as well as receiving incoming calls. How can she
enable the phone for dialing out, and what digits will get her to
999-555-1212 in the US?

On a related topic, what is the cheapest way to reach the U.S.
from Puerto Vallarta? What will her rates be like using a cell
phone to dial out versus having her dial a toll free number and
using a calling card? If the calling card + local cell phone
rate is cheaper than using just the cell phone, then what is the
best calling card to use that has a local call from Puerto
Vallarta?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Old June 20th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Bill McKee

Cingular has an international plan. I think it is a couple of bucks a
month. Call Cingular and ask. 1-800-888-7600 or she can press 611 on her
cell phone and get cingular in most areas.

Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Old June 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Jer

Will wrote:
[...]

My many direct-dialed calls from Mexico to U.S. are made be prepending
the 10-digit U.S. number with 001, ie. 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx. Prepaid
calling cards are the cheapest and available at many locales, in which
case prepend the 800 number with 001.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Steven de Mena

+ country code area code number

i.e. +1 213 935 4454 ("1" is country code for U.S.)

Should work anywhere in the world. I have all my numbers in my phonebook
stored in this format.

I think there is a lot of fraud to/from Mexico so I would call Cingular to
make sure there is no block, or something to enable, on their account.

Steve

Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com