Entering Canada

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Entering Canada

Ok I am alittle bit confused. Nothing new lol. DH and I will be driving
to Alaska in May, and I have tons of information I have been going
through now, preparing for the trip. To enter into Canada from the US
it says one needs a Passport, or drivers license, birth certificate.
That it is highly recommended to have both a Passport AND birth
certificate. WHY??? In order for us to even obtain our Passport we had
to have and send in our birth certificate. Would not just the Passport
and our drivers license be sufficient??? TIA
Marlene, MN

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article . com,
MarleneMN wrote:
Ok I am alittle bit confused. Nothing new lol. DH and I will be driving
to Alaska in May, and I have tons of information I have been going
through now, preparing for the trip. To enter into Canada from the US
it says one needs a Passport, or drivers license, birth certificate.
That it is highly recommended to have both a Passport AND birth
certificate. WHY???

What's the "it" that says that? When friends and I have entered
Canada (including some friends who live in Detroit and go up
there frequently), we've either had a passport *or* a driver's
license and birth certificate. The passport provides the two
key pieces of information (photograph and citizenship) that the
other two documents combined provide.

Patty

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

MarleneMN wrote:

Ok I am alittle bit confused. Nothing new lol. DH and I will be driving
to Alaska in May, and I have tons of information I have been going
through now, preparing for the trip. To enter into Canada from the US
it says one needs a Passport, or drivers license, birth certificate.
That it is highly recommended to have both a Passport AND birth
certificate. WHY??? In order for us to even obtain our Passport we had
to have and send in our birth certificate. Would not just the Passport
and our drivers license be sufficient??? TIA

The problem, if you have one, WON'T be getting into Canada; it will be
getting back into the US (including Alaska). For that crossing, I
strongly recommend a passport. If you have one, you shouldn't need
anything else; we never do, and we cross over at least a couple times a
year.

But someone else asked a perfectly good question: what's the "it" that
tells you what you supposedly need?
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

MarleneMN wrote:
Ok I am alittle bit confused. Nothing new lol. DH and I will be driving
to Alaska in May, and I have tons of information I have been going
through now, preparing for the trip. To enter into Canada from the US
it says one needs a Passport, or drivers license, birth certificate.
That it is highly recommended to have both a Passport AND birth
certificate. WHY??? In order for us to even obtain our Passport we had
to have and send in our birth certificate. Would not just the Passport
and our drivers license be sufficient??? TIA
Marlene, MN

"It"? Who says? Passport is sufficient. If you only have a birth
certificate, a photo id (such as a DL) is also needed.

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

We go up to Vancouver/Victoria fairly often, and we don't need anything
other than a passport. As I understand it, there is a new US law that will
mandate a passport sometime soon. Driver's license won't hack it, and we
have never carried birth certificates.

Bob Gardner

ups.com...

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

MarleneMN wrote:

Ok I am alittle bit confused. Nothing new lol. DH and I will be driving
to Alaska in May, and I have tons of information I have been going
through now, preparing for the trip. To enter into Canada from the US
it says one needs a Passport, or drivers license, birth certificate.
That it is highly recommended to have both a Passport AND birth
certificate. WHY??? In order for us to even obtain our Passport we had
to have and send in our birth certificate. Would not just the Passport
and our drivers license be sufficient??? TIA

Americans do need a passport to enter Canada. The problem is the country
to the south of us. They are talking about requiring passports for everyone
entering the US.

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Ok I found the vacation Guide that I read and I will put exactly what
was printed. It is from the 2005 Official Alberta South Vacation Guide.

Quote:

Entry Regulations U.S. Visitors
Citizens of the United States are required to provide proof of
citzenship upon entry into Canada, and MUST provide the following: A
valid Passport or Picture ID (usually a driver's License), ALONG WITH
proof of citizenship, Birth Certificate OR a Voter's Registration Card.

So unless I misunderstand the whole thing to me it meant I had to have
a Passport AND a Birth Certificate OR a Voter's Registration Card, or
My driver's license AND birth certificate OR Voter's Registration Card.

That is why I was not sure. But good deal we both have Passports so
problem solved.

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article . com,
MarleneMN wrote:
Ok I found the vacation Guide that I read and I will put exactly what
was printed. It is from the 2005 Official Alberta South Vacation Guide.

Entry Regulations U.S. Visitors
Citizens of the United States are required to provide proof of
citzenship upon entry into Canada, and MUST provide the following: A
valid Passport or Picture ID (usually a driver's License), ALONG WITH
proof of citizenship, Birth Certificate OR a Voter's Registration Card.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who think that commas don't matter. :-)
Clearly, the comma should have come after "passport" instead of after
the parenthetical remark about picture IDs.

Petty

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"MarleneMN" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok I found the vacation Guide that I read and I will put exactly
what was printed. It is from the 2005 Official Alberta South
Vacation Guide.

Quote:

Entry Regulations U.S. Visitors
Citizens of the United States are required to provide proof of
citzenship upon entry into Canada, and MUST provide the
following: A valid Passport or Picture ID (usually a driver's
License), ALONG WITH proof of citizenship, Birth Certificate
OR a Voter's Registration Card.

(passport OR (picture_id AND (birth_certificate OR voters_reg_card)))

Hope that helps....

Also, just for your info, you can also contact Canadian Customs/Immigration
to get the final say on stuff like this. People you meet in the newsgroups
can argue their case 'til they're blue in the face but it's the customs
officers who'll have the final word on letting you into Canada!

Richard

Old January 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
We go up to Vancouver/Victoria fairly often, and we don't need anything
other than a passport. As I understand it, there is a new US law that will
mandate a passport sometime soon. Driver's license won't hack it, and we
have never carried birth certificates.

Bob Gardner

"MarleneMN" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok I am alittle bit confused. Nothing new lol. DH and I will be driving
to Alaska in May, and I have tons of information I have been going
through now, preparing for the trip. To enter into Canada from the US
it says one needs a Passport, or drivers license, birth certificate.
That it is highly recommended to have both a Passport AND birth
certificate. WHY??? In order for us to even obtain our Passport we had
to have and send in our birth certificate. Would not just the Passport
and our drivers license be sufficient??? TIA
Marlene, MN

All you need is a passport and that's it.