Your best and your worst dinning companions OF ALL TIME!!!!

Old February 17th, 2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Your best and your worst dinning companions OF ALL TIME!!!!

Hi peanuts,

12 + cruises and going strong. Thankfully, I've never had a truly bad
dinning companion (well, there was one, but that was only for one night
the second to last night of the cruise, so I don't count that -- she
was a drama enthusiast [and how many words have I spent on her for not
counting her?]). They have been gentlemen and ladies all!!! We've had
some characters, we've had some subdued sleeper types, and we've had
some truly life loving dinner pals. Who are your most memorable? Mine
was on the Grand Princess. There was me and my pal -- there was a 40+
year old tiny little woman with a crutch whom we nicknamed Marzipan
because she was shouting "that's a Marzipan", and the word Marzipan
coming out of her husky voice (big bosom) was just an inviting
contrast; a retired European couple (she a classical pianist, and
he....he wouldn't say; rather, he refused to say); and a nice older
couple, antique dealers who ran a newspaper who reminded me of my
parents. Our waiter was a hoot, and our assistant waiter was a young
woman with a Ph.D. from, then, Russia (the cruise lines paid more, she
said) - this was at that time when the Baked Alaskas were on
FIRE.....great memories. It wasn't a hopping table but there was a lot
of life experience sitting with us, and they were really a joy.

Old February 18th, 2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Any cruise with Ermalee and Jean + spouses is tops.

Nonnymus
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

While I can say none of my dinner companions have rated tops, I can
always think of the worst. Those who were dull, and had no 2-way
conversation and lacked any personality rank tops on my worst list.

If I had to pick:
Best - NCL Dawn - 12 family members
Tied for Best - Voyager of The Seas (group cruise). Just loved going to
dinner each night.

Worst - 2nd week Back to Back on Carnival Triumph- 2 of the brothers
grim (didn't speak, drink, or want to talk) and 4 asian ladaies who
didn't speak english). Changed tables for the ony time in my cruise
history.

Old February 18th, 2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:39:51 GMT, "RichC"
wrote:

"RICK DAVIS" wrote in message
Worst - 2nd week Back to Back on Carnival Triumph- 2 of the brothers
grim (didn't speak, drink, or want to talk) and 4 asian ladaies who
didn't speak english). Changed tables for the ony time in my cruise
history.

That's what I like about PC seating. You can change tables until you find
someone compatible.

Sitting with mom , her son and her son and his wife.
A long nightmare.
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/18/06 9:04 PM Jean O'Boyle consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
"Nonnymus" wrote in message

Any cruise with Ermalee and Jean + spouses is tops.

Ahhh... Aren't you sweet! Then how come you haven't joined us in such a long
time?
We've missed you and Mrs. Nonny!

--Jean

She was new to cruising, on the first night she blew chunks all over the
dinner table and my good shoes. That was the absolute worst! :-(

My best was everyone else. Also, I always enjoy traveling with my
sister. She has a knack for breaking ice and putting folks at ease.
Karen is one of those people who can take the dullest of table
companions and draw out the conversationalist in them.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Worst Experience: Captain's Table on "Around the World" cruise on MS
SAGAFJORD [note that, at that time, assignment to the Captain;s Table
was permanent for the entire voyage ... and it would have been
uncomfortable to ask to be moved -- especially as I was a personal
friend of the Captain -- albeit I know that even the Captain had
considered it on this trip [LOL]].

This was truly the table from h--l ... the ultimate passenger collection
from "Ship of Fools." It included two senile dowagers, one sitting on
either side of the Captain [like a pair of bookends]. There was a
prominent retired Judge [who dressed like a slob -- wearing sneakers
with a tuxedo on formal evenings -- and slobbered food all over the
table]. There were also four alcoholics ... that included a former
newspaper Publisher who would throw her dinner roll at people at the
table to get their attention and a totally-intolerant couple that only
left their cabin for dinner -- who both were constantly making
disparaging comments about ethnic and racial groups -- while the
inebriated husband, who had a loud nasal voice, would stand up to greet
the Captain when he made his grand entrance down the stairs and then
during dinner sing songs such as, in German, the Lorelei [a great
"favorite" on a Norwegian ship [LOL]].

Two memorable incidents:

1. One evening, the two dowagers -- who fought constantly -- had the
following exchange [this was after the US moon landing]: One said "I
wonder what G-d thought of men walking on his moon" and the other
responded with "Hmm, I never discuss religion!"

2. The Judge arrived one Formal evening while on the Atlantic crossing
and asked the Waiter for soft food. One dowager asked what was his
problem. The Judge replied that he had been taking a shower [all rooms
had tubs with showers] ,,, and, as the ship was swaying, was holding on
to the safely bar with one hand; he added he felt a sneeze coming on so
he had two choices for his free hand: Reach for his teeth or reach for
his hernia! Well, you guessed it ... his teeth had fallen out and had
broken when dropping into the tub. Yes ... more information than anyone
wanted.

No wonder I now vote for Open/Freestyle/Personal Choice Seating!

Old February 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

k.net...
"Nonnymus" wrote in message

Any cruise with Ermalee and Jean + spouses is tops.

Ahhh... Aren't you sweet! Then how come you haven't joined us in such a
long time?
We've missed you and Mrs. Nonny!

--Jean

She was new to cruising, on the first night she blew chunks all over the
dinner table and my good shoes. That was the absolute worst! :-(

My best was everyone else. Also, I always enjoy traveling with my sister.
She has a knack for breaking ice and putting folks at ease. Karen is one
of those people who can take the dullest of table companions and draw out
the conversationalist in them.

WHAT are you talking about, Brian? We have never even met! ;-)

--Jean

Old February 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

k.net...

"Nonnymus" wrote in message

Any cruise with Ermalee and Jean + spouses is tops.

Ahhh... Aren't you sweet! Then how come you haven't joined us in such a
long time?
We've missed you and Mrs. Nonny!

--Jean

She was new to cruising, on the first night she blew chunks all over the
dinner table and my good shoes. That was the absolute worst! :-(

My best was everyone else. Also, I always enjoy traveling with my sister.
She has a knack for breaking ice and putting folks at ease. Karen is one
of those people who can take the dullest of table companions and draw out
the conversationalist in them.

WHAT are you talking about, Brian? We have never even met! ;-)

--Jean

Jean, you mean you once blew chunks all over the dinner table on a
cruise ship? I would rather think that you were too lady like to barf in
public. You'd find someplace private to hurl, no. If you were at my
table on ship or on land, I don't think you'd be dull. Could it be that
you've never consulted a Magic 8 Ball? If not give it a try. It's fun. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/19/06 8:40 AM gwm215 gwm215 consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
[...]

This sounds like a warped line up of characters for an Agatha Christie
novel. "Death By Sneezing or Arsenic in Old Grace"! :-D

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The cow and I somehow got seated with six homosexuals on a cruise ro
Bermuda. It was a while back, but I believe it was the Masteandamn.
These "men" all lisped, and were very feminiene(sp) They refered to me as
"Queen" of the table?" None made a pass at either the cow or I, but they
were not their the next night? They actually quite fun!

"Brian K" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"