London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Danglerb

Default London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

The Cloud is very interesting. The location function was abysmal,
closest points from Kings Cross Holiday Inn were 13 km away, ... in
another Holiday Inn Express (Chinwood and Greenich). Who knows maybe
I will find it working in the one we stay in in as well.

I about went nuts in my hunt for a decent cheap little laptop, but I am
currently circling around a couple different Dell D400 units which are
pricey for old models, but seem quite powerfull and of good quality.

Ordial is slowly migrating to preparing for adventure.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin Rich

On 22 Jul 2006 04:13:49 -0700, "Danglerb" wrote:

The Cloud is very interesting. The location function was abysmal,
closest points from Kings Cross Holiday Inn were 13 km away, ... in
another Holiday Inn Express (Chinwood and Greenich). Who knows maybe
I will find it working in the one we stay in in as well.

If it's telling you that then the location function is indeed abysmal
- the British Library, that I mentioned a couple of posts ago, is
around 200 metres from Kings Cross station

Martin
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:19:54 +0100, Martin Rich
wrote:

What hotel taxes are there apart from VAT, and of course excise duty
if you buy alcohol from the hotel where you're staying?

The travel lodges are all encouraging you to moan about new taxes

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/whats_new/#bed_tax

Jim.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate wrote:

poldy wrote:

In article 1him2c9.xhtzf3w9m4c1N%this_address_is_for_spam@ya hoo.com,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Around 150 BT payphones in central London are now wifi points. The
combined area they cover is fairly impressive. That's in addition to the
hundreds of other BT openzones wifi points in London bars, stations etc.

Actually, I saw a bunch of booths which appears to have a terminal with
keyboard and screen. Didn't really look at what they charge but you're
in a glass booth in the middle of the street.

They are also wifi points, so you could be sitting on a nearby bench or
in a cafe and pick up the signal.

Or in your flat. I'd assumed that getting phone service here would have
been trivial. However, it transpires that the previous tenant has
migrated from BT to AOL phone service, and that apparently requires a BT
engineer to come here to switch it to BT on August 7? Load of ********.
However, I can get a BT openzone signal from the balcony. I wonder if I
really want to pay them for wired service!

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:41:11 +0100,
deansgate) wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
Actually, I saw a bunch of booths which appears to have a terminal with
keyboard and screen. Didn't really look at what they charge but you're
in a glass booth in the middle of the street.

They are also wifi points, so you could be sitting on a nearby bench or
in a cafe and pick up the signal.

Or in your flat. I'd assumed that getting phone service here would have
been trivial.

Not all the terminals are wifi points,

Yes, that must be true, now I think about it. I was in Tampopo in
Manchester the other week and couldn't get a signal, but there was a BT
internet phone booth outside.

the ones near the Tate Modern
are not I believe.

The locations are listed on the openzone website, though it doesn't
allow for a postcode search, as far as I can tell. A bit annoying, if
so.