Splendor to be out of service until Jan 16, 2011

Old November 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Splendor to be out of service until Jan 16, 2011

Update: Carnival Splendor To Be Out Of Service Until January 16, 2011,
For Repairs

Posted on 16 November 2010

Carnival Cruise Lines has cancelled voyages of the Carnival Splendor
through the departure of January 9, 2011, to allow time for repairs
following an engine room fire last week. The ship is scheduled to
re-enter service on January 16, 2011.

Guests who were scheduled to sail on these voyages will receive a full
refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a
25 percent discount on a future cruise.

Carnival Splendor was towed to San Diego following the fire which
occurred off the Mexican coast on November 8. A team from the U.S.
Coast Guard, NTSB and flag authorities, along with Carnival’s engineers
and technicians, is currently on board investigating the cause of the
fire. Carnival personnel are being assisted by representatives of the
shipyard that built the vessel and other manufacturers of engine room
components in assessing damage and necessary repairs.

“We realize how much guests look forward to their vacations and know
that they are very disappointed by this news. We too are disheartened
that we are not able to fulfill the dreams of those who have entrusted
us with their important vacation plans. We sincerely apologize to
everyone who was scheduled to sail on these cancelled voyages and look
forward to welcoming them aboard in the future. Now that we have a full
technical team engaged in the assessment, we wanted to provide this
information as quickly as possible,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival
president and CEO.

Carnival is contacting travel agents and guests on the affected sailings
and providing assistance in finding alternate cruises. Travel agent
commissions on the cancelled sailings will be protected.

--
Charles