London travel questions

Old March 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default London travel questions

Following up to tim (in sweden)

90% of the times I've paid it have been visits to the osteopath.

but do you get on your soap-box and complain?

I'm not hugely concerned in principle, although I tend to agree
with the late planner from the GLC in that such schemes remove
the poor from the road and replace them with the rich. Ken is
increasinlgy acting in public like the clown he is, so perhaps we
will see the back of him next time.g

I am concerned about the fact the scheme is irksome to use[1] and
the time to pay is insufficient for no good reason, these things
I have made the opposition candidate aware of and BBC phone ins.
communications with TFL just evoke standard letters.

1] i'm a registered user but unlike other online schemes, even
after entering my code, password and postcode, I still have to
wade through page after page of waffle, reenter my car reg and
credit card every time and have no facility to switch to my other
car, even though I have input the details, then, should I forget
to pay, will they just deduct the charge from my credit card or
send an email reminder? No, They impose a penalty charge. I
expect Kens reasaoning is that car drivers are *******s and
should be inconvinienced and fined as often as possible. I expect
the totally unnessasy eastbound 20 mph limits near Southwark
Bridge , with SPECS cameras are a political rather than safety
action too. The roadworks, which is like many others, is entirely
on the westbound, beyond a central reservation.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Go Fig wrote:

In article ,
poldy wrote:

In article ,
The Reid wrote:

US middle east policy has been around a long time, its not just
Bush.

This is one of the most infamous examples:
http://tinyurl.com/ejpaw

" in which he argued that American foreign policies provoked the
attacks,"

See a lot of Americans buy Bush's line that "they hate us because of
what we are, because we're free, etc."

Guess you missed all the "cartoon stuff"...

What's worse- stupidly protesting cartoons or stupidly invading other
countries, slaughtering a 100,000 civilians?

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Kristian" wrote in message
"Steve Rainbird" wrote:

I guess it (Churchill Museum) is new. I was browsing the other day and
ran
accross the reference to it, and it being "new" but I can't recall where
saw it. Speaking of Churchill, what are the things this NG would
recommend
for good WWII things to see in London?

It's based at the Cabinet War Rooms; you can google for it, but
the page doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Its here http://cwr.iwm.org.uk/

I'm going there tomorrow for a conference. I will tell you what its like.

I took the tour of the Cabinet War Rooms last Friday as a matter of
fact.
This time of the year you could walk right in, without any waiting in
lines, but I suspect that might be different in high season. You are
given a free set of "Acoustiguide sound guide" ,and you walk through
the corridors and can look into the preserved/reconstructed rooms .
You can also get a view of the layer of concrete reenforcement on top
of the rooms - its looks very impressive, but in fact they weren“t
quite sure the rooms could stand a direct hit !
--
Kristian

I didn't have to pay but for £11.00 I thought it would have been value for
money.

--
Steve

Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally

Old March 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

Guess you missed all the "cartoon stuff"...

What's worse- stupidly protesting cartoons or stupidly invading other
countries, slaughtering a 100,000 civilians?

hang on, this is tough. :-) But Jay has a point, there is a
culture clash between Muslims and the west. Bin Laden *might*
well have hated the west irrespective of any reasonable actions,
although I doubt he would have many followers.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to The Reid

But Jay has a point, there is a
culture clash between Muslims and the west.

look at attitudes to women, alcohol, gays and currently the
Afghans want to execute someone for converting to Christianity, a
lot of them are, from a western viewpoint, living in the past. I
think its a mixture of despising our cultures and the actions of
US/Israel with the emphasis on the latter.
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

steveo wrote:

"Ian F." wrote in message

"steveo" wrote in message

What is a "congestion charge"?

You must pay a fee of UKP8 per day if you bring a car into central London
during certain hours. Details he

http://www.cclondon.com/whatis.shtml

Really? That's outrageous! It's not much, but still!

That's just so USAmerican. Entering a city center via private car is a
privilege, not an entitlement. There are all sorts of tolls collected
for use of public roads and bridges, and London isn't the first city to
assess a "congestion charge" for driving a private car in the centre.

Why don't they just
make parking exorbitantly expensive like in San Francisco, where one can pay
upwards of $40 on weekend nights? It seems a bit unfair to those to live
there to have to pay to get home.

They do make parking quite expensive.

Most people who live in central London (within the CC zone) don't pay
extra to get home, because they don't drive to and from home in the
first place. They have buses and the Underground, or if it's not too
much of a bother, they simply walk. Those who drive are already paying
dearly; gasoline/petrol costs easily twice in the UK what it costs in
the USA.

But, I guess that would be effective in reinforcing mass transit use.

Ah. You *do* understand.
--
dgs
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:06 AM
KONS KONS is offline
Member

new American in http://www.travelonline.happyhost.org
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:54:29 +0000, congokid
wrote:

In article , dgs
writes
steveo wrote:

they don't drive to and from home in the
first place. They have buses and the Underground, or if it's not too
much of a bother, they simply walk.

You forgot about the ones like me who cycle.

I haven't cycled in London since the introduction of the charge.
Roughly how much better cycling there now?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:08:11 +0100, Dubiously Fragrant Muffin
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:54:29 +0000, congokid
wrote:

In article , dgs
writes
steveo wrote:

they don't drive to and from home in the
first place. They have buses and the Underground, or if it's not too
much of a bother, they simply walk.

You forgot about the ones like me who cycle.

I haven't cycled in London since the introduction of the charge.
Roughly how much better cycling there now?

It's awful, they jump red lights, they cycle on the pavement, are
generally very badly behaved, especially a lot of the newer ones.

I've never found cycling in London to be bad, so I can't really say if
it was better? there are a lot of quiet routes, and quite a lot of
bad cycle facilities, but also some good ones, you can certainly get
about.

Jim.
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

In article , Jim Ley
writes
wrote:

I haven't cycled in London since the introduction of the charge.
Roughly how much better cycling there now?

It's awful, they jump red lights, they cycle on the pavement, are
generally very badly behaved, especially a lot of the newer ones.

On the plus side, they don't kill 3,500 people annually in the UK (or
almost 300 in London).

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...