American Airlines

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Epona

Default American Airlines

Would this be the best airline to use for travelling between UK and US? An
initial check on prices appear very competitive but I don't know if there
are any better deals/airlines to use for the US domestic flights.

I'm looking to travel next February spending several days in each of New
York City NY, Cleveland OH, Austin TX (although Dallas/Fort Worth would be
fine too) and
Seattle WA.

Any recommendations of (cheapest) airlines and possible order of route would
be great

TIA

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Miguel Cruz

Epona wrote:
I'm looking to travel next February spending several days in each of New
York City NY, Cleveland OH, Austin TX (although Dallas/Fort Worth would be
fine too) and Seattle WA.

Dallas and Austin are very different places. One key difference being that
Austin is arguably worth a visit.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 7th, 2003, 05:55 PM
me

"Epona" wrote in message ...
Would this be the best airline to use for travelling between UK and US?

Depends upon everything. As you suggest, it is a very competetive
route and it matters mostly what day you buy and what time you travel.

An
initial check on prices appear very competitive but I don't know if there
are any better deals/airlines to use for the US domestic flights.

"Better" no. You will find similar prices from all airlines. The
restrictions, and when you find these good prices may vary widely.
The further in advance you book the greater the options you'll have.

I'm looking to travel next February spending several days in each of New
York City NY, Cleveland OH, Austin TX (although Dallas/Fort Worth would be
fine too) and
Seattle WA.

Any recommendations of (cheapest) airlines and possible order of route would
be great

Order will be important to some extent. You'll probably want
to try to book this ticket in some sort of circular sequence, i.e.
starting and ending in the same place. However, you should check on
that because in the end, it may just get treated as some huge open
jaw ticket. I would guess that you could fly
direct to many of these cities from the UK so constrasting and
comparing which sitting in which to arrive and begin your circle could
benefit you finacially.

I will say, this is one of the more eclectic set of city selections
I've seen for such a trip. Nothing wrong with that of course. Seattle
does munge it up just a wee bit. Nothing huge but many of the airlines
you might use aren't necessarily strong in all of those markets.
Just a guess, is this trip music related?
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:32 PM
mrtravel

me wrote:

Just a guess, is this trip music related?

If it's music related then I don't understand how they would even
consider Dallas instead of Austin.

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Epona" wrote:

Would this be the best airline to use for travelling between UK and US? An
initial check on prices appear very competitive but I don't know if there
are any better deals/airlines to use for the US domestic flights.

Assuming fares and frequent flyer benefits are roughly the same, AA has the
advantage of extended legroom (More Room Throughout Coach) when compared to all
the other airlines that serve the Atlantic routes. BA and United have additional
room in some coach seats, but generally charge several hundred dollars more for
those seats. The extra space makes a difference, especially if you are average
height or taller.

I'm looking to travel next February spending several days in each of New
York City NY, Cleveland OH, Austin TX (although Dallas/Fort Worth would be
fine too) and Seattle WA.

Any recommendations of (cheapest) airlines and possible order of route would
be great

You might want to consider using AA for the long haul legs and discount airlines
for domestic travel. Southwest (similar to EasyJet) serves most of your cities
and comes to mind. As with EasyJet, some discount airlines do not use the same
airports as the mainline airlines, so you must factor in how you would make the
connections work.
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:30 AM
mrtravel

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
"Epona" wrote:

You might want to consider using AA for the long haul legs and discount airlines
for domestic travel. Southwest (similar to EasyJet) serves most of your cities
and comes to mind. As with EasyJet, some discount airlines do not use the same
airports as the mainline airlines, so you must factor in how you would make the
connections work.

It is also important to note that if booked in long enough in advance,
you might pay more on Southwest. Southwest is great for last minute
travel, but I often see where flights a few weeks ahead of time are
cheaper on other carriers, especially since WN tends to sell out the
cheap seats earlier due to this "low fare" mindset.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Jonathan Smith

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message . ..
"Epona" wrote:

[...]

If you originate travel in Europe and use a OW alliance transatlantic
you are eligible for the VUSA fares internally. They are extremely
flexible and very cheap.

js
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:08 PM
david

Default Airpasses American Airlines

"Epona" wrote in message ...
Would this be the best airline to use for travelling between UK and US? An
initial check on prices appear very competitive but I don't know if there
are any better deals/airlines to use for the US domestic flights.

I'm looking to travel next February spending several days in each of New
York City NY, Cleveland OH, Austin TX (although Dallas/Fort Worth would be
fine too) and
Seattle WA.

Ask a travel agent about air passes. Typically, you buy a booklet of
coupons at a small price each, and can use each coupon for a US
domestic flight. There may also be deals giving 30 days unlimited
flights on a US domestic network.

These deals are not sold in North America, and generally are only
available in conjunction with inter-continental flights.
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Dairenn Lombard

mrtravel wrote:

It is also important to note that if booked in long enough in advance,
you might pay more on Southwest. Southwest is great for last minute
travel, but I often see where flights a few weeks ahead of time are
cheaper on other carriers, especially since WN tends to sell out the
cheap seats earlier due to this "low fare" mindset.

Yeah, I know. One time, I got funny looks from a coworker who said, "AA was
cheaper than SWA?" I said, "Yeah, when I checked 21 and 14 days in advance, it
ended up beint $10 less. But when I looked at next week, AA was $50 more than
SWA."

--
Dairenn Lombard
Los Angeles, CA - http://www.base-ix.com/~dlombard/

Old October 9th, 2003, 09:36 PM
me

Dairenn Lombard wrote in message ...
mrtravel wrote:

It is also important to note that if booked in long enough in advance,
you might pay more on Southwest. Southwest is great for last minute
travel, but I often see where flights a few weeks ahead of time are
cheaper on other carriers, especially since WN tends to sell out the
cheap seats earlier due to this "low fare" mindset.

Yeah, I know. One time, I got funny looks from a coworker who said, "AA was
cheaper than SWA?" I said, "Yeah, when I checked 21 and 14 days in advance, it
ended up beint $10 less. But when I looked at next week, AA was $50 more than
SWA."

Every single time I've looked up fares, WN has not been the cheapest.
If you book in advance, you'll almost always find cheaper fares. There
are some cheap fares on WN, but I never seem to get them (maybe I don't
book THAT far in advance). I'm sure there are city pairs that they
are more competetive on too that I don't ever search.