A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Cruises
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seeing Wild Animals



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,575
Default Seeing Wild Animals

I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for a cruise in about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskan cruise that we could take? How about someplace in
Central or South America? Or the Galapagos? Or Hawaii?




  #2  
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,329
Default Seeing Wild Animals

On 4/24/2008 9:45 PM Rosalie B. plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and
said:
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for a cruise in about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskan cruise that we could take? How about someplace in
Central or South America? Or the Galapagos? Or Hawaii?





It's not a cruise, but you could do a land tour of Minnesota. In the
northern part of the state, there's the Gray Wolf research center.
There's an observation area where you can watch a family of wild wolves
socialize and interact with each other. In other parts of the state you
can watch black bears, from bear watching platforms. There are also
eagle watching locations. The state truly has many lakes. It is
possible to go fishing for trout or walleye in downtown Minneapolis. If
you go there stalking the wild mark down, she'll have bragging rights
for getting the deal of the century at Mall of America.

Check out this link: http://www.exploreminnesota.com/home.aspx

Also, there are several cruise lines that do Alaska cruises during the
Summer months. In fact that's the peak time for whale watching and
seeing other wild life. So, you can do an Alaska cruise, Royal
Caribbean would probably be a good one for a teenager. They have all
those activities like rock climbing walls and such. If it turns out
that she has a major seasickness problem that nothing will fix, then
maybe you might want to do Minnesota and mix it up between wildlife and
the Twin Cities.

--
________
To email me, Edit "blog" from my email address.
Brian M. Kochera
"Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"
View My Web Page: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
  #3  
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Seeing Wild Animals

On Apr 24, 6:45*pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. *We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). *Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. *But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. *I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. *I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. *If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for acruisein about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskancruisethat we could take? *How about someplace in
Central or South America? *Or theGalapagos? Or Hawaii?


I would recommend taking a cruise to the Galapagos because it is so
endangered and unique. There is enough activity to keep the teen
happy, plus the grandmother can hang out on board or just sit in the
sun on the island and watch all the wildlife go by. The cruise I took
was with Quasar Expeditions, and it was great - see
http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com/...n.php?activo=2. The
Galapagos is a real treasure, but might not be around by the time the
teen becomes the grandmother.
  #4  
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,575
Default Seeing Wild Animals

wrote:

On Apr 24, 6:45*pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. *We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). *Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. *But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. *I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. *I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. *If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for acruisein about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskancruisethat we could take? *How about someplace in
Central or South America? *Or theGalapagos? Or Hawaii?


I would recommend taking a cruise to the Galapagos because it is so
endangered and unique. There is enough activity to keep the teen
happy, plus the grandmother can hang out on board or just sit in the
sun on the island and watch all the wildlife go by. The cruise I took
was with Quasar Expeditions, and it was great - see
http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com/...n.php?activo=2. The
Galapagos is a real treasure, but might not be around by the time the
teen becomes the grandmother.


That's a good idea. She has said she wants Australia, or Peru, so
maybe Ecuador and Galapagos would be good.

  #5  
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 246
Default Seeing Wild Animals

You will probably have a maximum window of 8 nights but it is possible to work
out a schedule that would include a short Galapagos Cruise along with a visit to
Machu Pichu in Peru.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises



In article , Rosalie B. says...

wrote:

On Apr 24, 6:45*pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. *We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). *Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. *But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. *I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. *I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. *If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for acruisein about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskancruisethat we could take? *How about someplace in
Central or South America? *Or theGalapagos? Or Hawaii?


I would recommend taking a cruise to the Galapagos because it is so
endangered and unique. There is enough activity to keep the teen
happy, plus the grandmother can hang out on board or just sit in the
sun on the island and watch all the wildlife go by. The cruise I took
was with Quasar Expeditions, and it was great - see
http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com/...n.php?activo=2. The
Galapagos is a real treasure, but might not be around by the time the
teen becomes the grandmother.


That's a good idea. She has said she wants Australia, or Peru, so
maybe Ecuador and Galapagos would be good.


  #6  
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by TravelBanter: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,952
Default Seeing Wild Animals

Rosalie,

Just a thought, but have you considered a Disney cruise/land package? Seven
days will bring you a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas, including Disney
private island of Castaway Cay, plus a 4 or 3 day stay at the Walt Disney
World Resort itself. The cruise aboard the Disney Magic has all types of
kids and/or adult programs, so she is sure to meet some boys. And even
through not a real safari in the traditional sense, Disney's Animal Kingdom
at Walt Disney World does feature live animals from all over the world, plus
loads Disney entertainment. Likewise, as a package deal, the total cost is
still within reason.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY (sm)
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com




"Rosalie B." wrote in message
...
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for a cruise in about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskan cruise that we could take? How about someplace in
Central or South America? Or the Galapagos? Or Hawaii?





  #7  
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,575
Default Seeing Wild Animals

"John Sisker" wrote:

Rosalie,

Just a thought, but have you considered a Disney cruise/land package? Seven
days will bring you a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas, including Disney
private island of Castaway Cay, plus a 4 or 3 day stay at the Walt Disney
World Resort itself. The cruise aboard the Disney Magic has all types of
kids and/or adult programs, so she is sure to meet some boys. And even
through not a real safari in the traditional sense, Disney's Animal Kingdom
at Walt Disney World does feature live animals from all over the world, plus
loads Disney entertainment. Likewise, as a package deal, the total cost is
still within reason.

I have considered Disney and discarded that idea immediately as both
too expensive and too tame. I don't want a location that the child's
dad can drive her too. After all I took her brother to Ireland. I
don't think Disneyworld would compare.

I've done the Animal Kingdom thing and was not impressed, and I've
done the Bahamas from a real boat. The cruise that my other grandson
took was to the Bahamas and he hated it although it probably wasn't
Disney. If I were going to do a Disney cruise it would NOT be to the
Bahamas.


  #8  
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,575
Default Seeing Wild Animals

Cal Ford wrote:

You will probably have a maximum window of 8 nights but it is possible to work
out a schedule that would include a short Galapagos Cruise along with a visit to
Machu Pichu in Peru.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises


I am not sure that I could physically handle the altitude in Peru (?).
Why do you say a window of 8 nights?

The Quasar site, when you get down to the price part is VERY
expensive. (Not as expensive as Regent or something like that, but
high.) I discarded Celebrity's weekly Galapagos cruise because there
are only 100 pax and it did not seem as though there would be many
young people. Perhaps I will rethink that.

I would recommend taking a cruise to the Galapagos because it is so
endangered and unique. There is enough activity to keep the teen
happy, plus the grandmother can hang out on board or just sit in the
sun on the island and watch all the wildlife go by. The cruise I took
was with Quasar Expeditions, and it was great - see
http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com/...n.php?activo=2. The
Galapagos is a real treasure, but might not be around by the time the
teen becomes the grandmother.


That's a good idea. She has said she wants Australia, or Peru, so
maybe Ecuador and Galapagos would be good.

  #9  
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 307
Default Seeing Wild Animals

Rosalie B. wrote in
:



The Quasar site, when you get down to the price part is VERY
expensive. (Not as expensive as Regent or something like that, but
high.) I discarded Celebrity's weekly Galapagos cruise because there
are only 100 pax and it did not seem as though there would be many
young people. Perhaps I will rethink that.


Galapogos cruises are limited to smaller ships Celebrity is one of the
"big" ones!

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell


  #10  
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,329
Default Seeing Wild Animals

On 4/27/2008 10:28 PM plucked Senior Frog's
Magic Twanger and said:
On Apr 24, 6:45 pm, Rosalie B. wrote:

I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for acruisein about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskancruisethat we could take? How about someplace in
Central or South America? Or theGalapagos? Or Hawaii?


I would recommend taking a cruise to the Galapagos because it is so
endangered and unique. There is enough activity to keep the teen
happy, plus the grandmother can hang out on board or just sit in the
sun on the island and watch all the wildlife go by. The cruise I took
was with Quasar Expeditions, and it was great - see
http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com/...n.php?activo=2. The
Galapagos is a real treasure, but might not be around by the time the
teen becomes the grandmother.

Actually, the Galapagos Islands are starting to feel the impact of the
rise in ecotourism. There's been talk of limiting the number of people
who can go ashore.

--
________
To email me, Edit "blog" from my email address.
Brian M. Kochera
"Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"
View My Web Page: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Australia and its animals Ross[_4_] Australia & New Zealand 0 September 4th, 2007 11:30 PM
Poisonous animals in Mid-West? Fiance USA & Canada 41 May 19th, 2006 06:12 PM
Towel Animals Bring Smiles! Ray Goldenberg Cruises 0 October 11th, 2005 05:27 PM
Book On Making Towel Animals! Ray Goldenberg Cruises 20 March 6th, 2005 05:40 PM
7 Million Towel Animals !!! Chrissy Cruiser Cruises 8 February 20th, 2005 09:15 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.