Article on San Francisco as a port

Old June 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Cathy Kearns

Default Article on San Francisco as a port

Our local paper talks about the increase of cruise ships using the port in
San Francisco.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8908070.htm?1c

The hook, they claim, is sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is the big
draw. So for those who've sailed under the Golden Gate, is it really
that big of a deal? Having been raised here, and sailing under the
Golden Gate on party boats all the time, I'm not feeling the awe
I got from say, sailing into Malta or out of Venice. But maybe it
rates up with sailing under the Lion's bridge(?) in Vancover?
What does everyone else think. What was your favorite port
to sail in or out of ?

Old June 13th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Eileen Garland

Sailing under the Golden Gate was a thrill, both in a friend's yacht and
on a cruise ship. I have loved sailing into and out of so many
beautiful ports, I don't think I can choose one. Villefranche comes to
mind at the moment.

Eileen

Old June 13th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Peter Berlin

Sailing under the bridge is nice, but....
Actually, the best thing about sailing from San Francisco is
San Fransico. The weather, the food and charm of the city
and the water front. If you sail from San Francisco and
don't come in at least one day early and enjoy the
city...you are "missing the boat".

Peter

--
Peter Berlin
Peter Berlin's Travel Center

Old June 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Mark K - SF

A couple of years ago, we were on the Carnival Spirit, SFO - Vancouver in
May. While the ship was docked at Pier 35, the sun was shining. The weather
was beautiful and warm. During the sailaway, the upper deck was jammed and
festive. Everyone was excitedly talking about passing under the Golden Gate
Bridge.

However, once we cleared the pier, I saw a fog bank ahead and ran down to
our cabin to retrieve a jacket and heavy sweater for myself and Steve. Sure
enough, within minutes we were in the fog bank, things got dark and gray and
the temp dropped to about 40 damp degrees. People fled. Properly attired we
stayed on deck. One guy had returned from service in the Pacific years ago,
and talked about returning under the Golden Gate and was determined to stay
on deck to experience it again.

By the time we reached the bridge. We couldn't see the base of the tower
until we were right upon it. The man was shivering into his cell phone as he
exclaimed to his wife "We're passing under the bridge right now ...I
think..."

Mark

Old June 14th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Peri

Peter Berlin wrote:
Sailing under the bridge is nice, but....
Actually, the best thing about sailing from San Francisco is San
Fransico. The weather, the food and charm of the city and the water
front. If you sail from San Francisco and don't come in at least one
day early and enjoy the city...you are "missing the boat".

I agree, Peter. I got a kick out of sailing under the bridge on our California
coastal cruise in April, but not nearly as much as the first time I DROVE over
the bridge into the city after a visit to Muir Woods. And not as much as our
trip over the Bay Bridge on our way to a pre-cruise visit to the Jelly Belly
factory.

Being able to cruise out of San Francisco is what finally got me there...and for
that, I am very grateful! We did a few days before and a couple more after,
which, combined with a lovely cruise down the coast to Cabo, made for a truly
wonderful vacation.

~ Peri

Peter