Suggestions for San Francisco ?

Old March 12th, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Suggestions for San Francisco ?

Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June. Does anyone have any
suggestions for the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing anything I'm never likely to see
again for the rest of my life..!), museums and art galleries, interesting
street scenes and buildings, bookshops and libraries - just mooching about
and soaking up the atmosphere really .... I'm not into shopping, clubbing,
etc...

I'll be staying near Union Square, and can walk around some - what's the
best way to get around?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Barb UK

(PS: I'll probably be asking the same questions for LA as I continue to
research my trip, but that's another question....! :-) )

Old March 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

I always enjoy the Alcatraz tour. Be sure to do the audio tour. You have
to book long in advance, so you should do that in the next couple of
months:

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/alcatraz_service.htm

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old March 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June. Does anyone have any
suggestions for the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing anything I'm never likely to see
again for the rest of my life..!), museums and art galleries, interesting
street scenes and buildings, bookshops and libraries - just mooching about
and soaking up the atmosphere really .... I'm not into shopping,
clubbing,
etc...

Pretty much everywhere in San Francisco gives you a good picture. Just walk
around, up and down the hills. You use a lot of film (or memory stick) just
walking from Fisherman's Wharf to Coit Tower. Then there is China Town, Nob
Hill, Golden Gate Park and Bridge, Twin Peaks, Farmer's Market at the Ferry
Building...

Bookshop: City Litys, near North Beach. (Columbus and Broadway, I think)

One more thing -- plan on eating..a lot...of good food.....

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Sarah Banick wrote:
"Barb" wrote in message

Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June.

Pretty much everywhere in San Francisco gives you a good picture. Just walk
around, up and down the hills. You use a lot of film (or memory stick) just
walking from Fisherman's Wharf to Coit Tower. Then there is China Town, Nob
Hill, Golden Gate Park and Bridge, Twin Peaks, Farmer's Market at the Ferry
Building...

Bookshop: City Litys, near North Beach. (Columbus and Broadway, I think)

All suggestions above are good, plus Lombard Street, Pacific Heights, ...

Before he can post it, I suggest you look at Icono's page...
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html

I suggest you get the day pass for the transit (Muni?)system - that
allows you to do the cable cars, public buses, unlimited use.

Enjoy.

Golden Gate Park - Lots to see the
http://tinyurl.com/4v9o8

And two days is not a lot to see all the sites. My wife and I just
visited and would return anytime.

--

Seinfeld Lists - NEW URL
http://seinfeld.freehostpro.com/index.html

California Photos
http://tinyurl.com/ann2l

LOST - Sawyer's Nicknames
http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Barb" wrote in message ...
Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June. Does anyone have any
suggestions for the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing anything I'm never likely to see
again for the rest of my life..!), museums and art galleries, interesting
street scenes and buildings, bookshops and libraries - just mooching about
and soaking up the atmosphere really .... I'm not into shopping, clubbing,
etc...

I'll be staying near Union Square, and can walk around some - what's the
best way to get around?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Barb UK

(PS: I'll probably be asking the same questions for LA as I continue to
research my trip, but that's another question....! :-) )

Some guy posts something in this group every day, something
about a day spa or something in SF. He says it's excellent.
Wish I could remember the name, sorry.

Old March 12th, 2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
"Barb" wrote:

Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June. Does anyone have any
suggestions for the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing anything I'm never likely to see
again for the rest of my life..!), museums and art galleries, interesting
street scenes and buildings, bookshops and libraries - just mooching about
and soaking up the atmosphere really .... I'm not into shopping, clubbing,
etc...

I'll be staying near Union Square, and can walk around some - what's the
best way to get around?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Best is a matter of personal opinion, but since you're a photography
enthusiast, plan to spend a few hours walking across the Golden Gate
Bridge and hiking around the parks on either end of the bridge if the
weather is decent. The views from that area are spectacular!
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

We have visited twice and love it.
First time two nights - second visit 3 nights.
We have enjoyed.
(1) Riding a cable car
(2) Eating fresh crab/lobster with your fingers, while listening to rock
music comming out of a pub? nearby, outdoors at Fisherman's Wharf. Also
seaing the Sea lions at Pier 39.
(3) Catching a a ferry to Sausalito and having my first beer in America over
there.
(4) Walking through Chinatown on a Sunday morning, especially the street
with all the live food shops etc, not the one with all the camera stores
etc!
(5) North Beach area is great if you want a small taste of Italy.
(6) Walk op Lombard street (the hill)
(7) The gardens and buildings at the Exposition centre at the northern end
of Lombard St are great as is a walk from there along the shoreline to the
base of the Golden Gate Bridge.

We found, as tourists, the public transport to be very good and cheap.
The main thing is that we get a good feeling whenver we visit.
We would like to re-visit, however it is Colorado & Wyoming this year for
us.

Richard
Sydney (Australia)

Old March 13th, 2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:15:45 -0000, "Barb"
wrote:

Hi again guys.

I'll be in San Francisco for two full days in June. Does anyone have any
suggestions for the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing anything I'm never likely to see
again for the rest of my life..!), museums and art galleries, interesting
street scenes and buildings, bookshops and libraries - just mooching about
and soaking up the atmosphere really .... I'm not into shopping, clubbing,
etc...

I'll be staying near Union Square, and can walk around some - what's the
best way to get around?

If you enjoy museums, do not miss the Asian Art Museum. It is one of
my favorite museums in the US, and definitely worth visiting. See
http://www.asianart.org/

If you like bookshops, City Lights Books will blow you ways. See
http://www.citylights.com/

As far as street scenes go, a stroll through Chinatown is extremely
enjoyable.

Getting around in San Francisco is easy, it has one of the best public
transportation systems in the US.
--
Mental Anarchy - Think Free or Die
http://mentalanarchy.com

Old March 13th, 2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Sarah Banick wrote:

[...] You use a lot of film (or memory stick) just
walking from Fisherman's Wharf to Coit Tower.

By coincidence, right now I'm scanning negatives from a visit to SF in
1993, in particular the pictures I took at Coit Tower. Wow, what a view!
We got lucky with the weather, bright and sunny with hardly any smog.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Before he can post it, I suggest you look at Icono's page...
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html

Why, thank you, Mike.

Jon Bell wrote:
We got lucky with the weather, bright and sunny with hardly any
smog.

Smog is extremely rare here. We have just about the cleanest air of any
city in the USA as well as most of the world.

Shawn Hirn wrote:
if the weather is decent. The views from [the Golden Gate Bridge]
area are spectacular!

Crossed The Bridge yesterday. The weather was indecent and spectacular!

dicktay wrote:
(4) Walking through Chinatown on a Sunday morning, especially the
street with all the live food shops etc,

Stockton Street.

not the one with all the camera stores etc!

Grant Avenue aka duPont Street.

(7) The gardens and buildings at the Exposition centre at the
northern end of Lombard St

You mean Marina Boulevard.

are great as is a walk from there along the shoreline to the base of
the Golden Gate Bridge.

We found, as tourists, the public transport to be very good and
cheap.

Hard t'beat the San Francisco Municipal Railway in the USA.

The main thing is that we get a good feeling whenver we visit.

Thank you.

Barb wrote:
I'll be in San Francisco . . . the best things to do?

I'm into sightseeing (i.e. photographing . . . museums and art
galleries, interesting street scenes and buildings, bookshops and
libraries - just mooching about and soaking up the atmosphere really

I'll be staying near Union Square

Your best source of advice on where to eat here is the UseNet Group
ba.food. There's a link to it at the first URL below.

The "Don't-miss sights in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you
busy for nine twelve-hour days.

The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to get the
*.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of the San
Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its routes.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled
music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of
regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of
dance cruises and events around the world:
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html#t

A San Franciscan in 47.452 mileĀ² San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Content below asterisks not mine.]

..