Arches NP - Devils Garden Campground

Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Arches NP - Devils Garden Campground

So now I'm confused, maybe that's because I'm from the UK and the
terminology is different here. I want to book a pitch for 2 small tents at
the Devils Garden Campground in the Arches National Park on 29 May for 1
night.

The 'Camping Area Map' accessed via:

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common...new141211.html

show 'paved sites' that look as though they are for RV's and RV's only. So
how do I book a site for 2 x 1 man tents???

Mark

Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Mark wrote:
So now I'm confused, maybe that's because I'm from the UK and the
terminology is different here. I want to book a pitch for 2 small tents at
the Devils Garden Campground in the Arches National Park on 29 May for 1
night.

The 'Camping Area Map' accessed via:

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common...new141211.html

show 'paved sites' that look as though they are for RV's and RV's only. So
how do I book a site for 2 x 1 man tents???

Unfortunately, the term "campground" very often is used for paved
RV parking spaces these days. You could try to find out whether
there's enough dirt behind the paved area to set up a couple of
tents. But even if there is, you'll be surrounded by RVs. You
might want to investigate the campgrounds operated by the BLM
in the Moab area: http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/camp_chart.html.
Some of them have tent sites.

Patty

Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Mark" wrote:

So now I'm confused, maybe that's because I'm from the UK and the
terminology is different here. I want to book a pitch for 2 small tents at
the Devils Garden Campground in the Arches National Park on 29 May for 1
night...

We don't use the word "pitch." Other than that, the site you are
asking about is a disabled-accessible site and that means more asphalt
surfaces for wheelchairs. If you are not disabled, you shouldn't be
staying in that site; and if you are disabled, you probably don't
sleep in a tent.

Other than that, RV sites mean they are bigger to accommodate RVs. But
I've done tent camping in RV spaces if there is nothing else available
-- it just costs more. Normally I avoid all RVs and their sites.

I've never made reservations for camping at Arches -- it just costs
extra and isn't necessary IF you get there early in the day. Half of
the campsites are non-reservable and first-come, first-served. Check
in at the Visitor's Center at the park entrance to get a site, rather
than driving into the park to the campground.

http://www.arches.national-park.com/camping.htm

Caveat

Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Mark wrote:
So now I'm confused, maybe that's because I'm from the UK and the
terminology is different here. I want to book a pitch for 2 small tents at
the Devils Garden Campground in the Arches National Park on 29 May for 1
night.

The sites at Devils Graden (at least most of them) do have ample space
off the pavement for your tents. There will of course be RV's in most
of the spaces but I would expect a fair number of tenters. Perhaps the
booking form asks you to declare what equipment you will use?

I hope you will enjoy the desert - Arches is a very special park

John

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Mark" wrote in message
So now I'm confused, maybe that's because I'm from the UK and the
terminology is different here. I want to book a pitch for 2 small tents
at the Devils Garden Campground in the Arches National Park on 29 May for
1 night.

The 'Camping Area Map' accessed via:

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common...new141211.html

show 'paved sites' that look as though they are for RV's and RV's only.
So how do I book a site for 2 x 1 man tents???

Mark

As an alternative there's a great camping ground fairly close by
at Dead Horse Point State Park. This has specific tent sites and fantastic
views over the Colorado river and is mid way between Arches and
Canyonlands NP

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/parks...horse/area.htm
http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/parks...se/cground.htm

Keith