Visiting San Francisco in July, Any Suggestions?

Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Visiting San Francisco in July, Any Suggestions?

Hello All,

My wife and I will be visiting San Francisco in July for a few days.
She's never been and I haven't been since I was about 12 years old.
Hotel accomodations have already been booked.

I was hoping to hear suggestions on places to visit, sight-see, tours
to take, good restaurants, etc. We would like to take advantage of good
sea food, as well as, the chinese and italian cuisines of North Beach
and Chinatown. We'll have a car with us, so we'll be able to visit in
the greater metro area too.

Thanks,

- Dave

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

visiting San Francisco

San Francisco and nearby attractions are a frequent topic in this
newsgroup. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, but I'd suggest
you also do a search of previous discussions and you'll find a large
number of posts on this topic.

We'll have a car

Actually most visitors find it easier to use San Francisco's excellent
public transit system. I'd suggest renting a car only on days you're
making day trips out of the city (Muir Woods, Napa Valley, Monterey,
etc.).

Jim

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello All,

My wife and I will be visiting San Francisco in July for a few days.
She's never been and I haven't been since I was about 12 years old.
Hotel accomodations have already been booked.

I was hoping to hear suggestions on places to visit, sight-see, tours
to take, good restaurants, etc. We would like to take advantage of good
sea food, as well as, the chinese and italian cuisines of North Beach
and Chinatown. We'll have a car with us, so we'll be able to visit in
the greater metro area too.

Thanks,

- Dave

Have a great time!
Plan on warm sunny days and nice dry warm evenings.
Also plan on ice cold wet windy foggy days, especially afternoons/evenings.

Are you an experienced knowledgeable skilled sailor? Charter a sailboat
from Sausalito (maybe Club Nautique or Cass's Marina) and take advantage of
the howling summer winds and ripping bay currents.

Take a walk in Muir Woods in Marin County.

Take a walk/ride to the top of Coit Tower.

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge and back in the morning.

Have dessert with a view at the Cliff House.

Go to Fort Point and watch the surfers for a few minutes if there's a swell.

Take a walk through Chinatown.

Ride the trolley and have an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe (is it
still there?).

Visit the De Young Museum and the Steinhart aquarium.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

clint wrote:
Unless you like to walk up an down hilly strets, and breathe in fog, theirs
not much appael in Frisco

No schools either.

--

Seinfeld Lists - NEW URL
http://seinfeld.freehostpro.com/index.html
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"clint" wrote in message
A lot of homos in the Fairy Building.. haha
"PeterL" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Hello All,

My wife and I will be visiting San Francisco in July for a few days.
She's never been and I haven't been since I was about 12 years old.
Hotel accomodations have already been booked.

I was hoping to hear suggestions on places to visit, sight-see, tours
to take, good restaurants, etc. We would like to take advantage of good
sea food, as well as, the chinese and italian cuisines of North Beach
and Chinatown. We'll have a car with us, so we'll be able to visit in
the greater metro area too.

Thanks,

- Dave

The new deYoung museum. Conte Nest voted it one of the new wonders of
the world. Also the new Asian Arts Museum.

For food, try R&G Lounge for good Chinese seafood (just outside of
Chinatown on Kearny). Also the relatively new Ferry building, where
there are several very nice places to eat.

The ferry building is relatively new? I thought it had been there a long
time.

To the original poster, you can park your car while in town, because it will
be more of a hindrance than anything. (unless you want to try the hill on
Lombard)

If your wife has never been there and it's been a long time for you, there
are tours from the piers on pseudo-trolleys that will give you a good
orientation to the downtown and Golden Gate areas. They won't bring you
inside anything, but you see a lot in a short time, and they are
entertaining and informative at the same time.

Unless you have a specific area of interest, there are plenty of touristy
things to keep you busy for a day or two. Alcatraz is actually well done.
It's the real thing, after all, and the earphone tour is quite interesting,
if a bit macabre. The boat ride gives you great views of the city, too.

Someone who lives there will give you better advice on what restaurants are
currently hot. Don't waste your money on the 'clam chowder' they sell on
the streets, the stuff in bread bowls. It's crap ... flour and water and
not a lot else.

I've been to SF many times, and regardless of its location, never regarded
it as a 'seafoody' town. It's not really a fishing port. That said, the
variety and quality of ethnic restaurants rivals New York, so I recommend
you shoot for something out of the ordinary.

Don't over-plan. If you hit the city on a weekend, lots will be going on,
so just go and join in.

Old March 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
I was hoping to hear suggestions on places to visit, sight-see,
tours to take, good restaurants, etc. We would like to take
advantage of good sea food, as well as, the chinese and italian
cuisines of North Beach and Chinatown.

Your best source of advice on where to eat here is the UseNet Group
ba.food. There's a link to it at the first URL below.

The "Don't-miss sights in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep
you busy for nine twelve-hour days.

The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to get
the *.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of the San
Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its routes.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled
music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of
regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of
dance cruises and events around the world:
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html#t

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A San Franciscan in 47.452 mile² San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Content below asterisks not mine.]

.

Old March 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Bryan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You're welcome.

Plan on warm sunny days and nice dry warm evenings. Also plan on ice
cold wet windy foggy days, especially afternoons/evenings.

Take a walk/ride to the top of Coit Tower.

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge and back in the morning.

Have dessert with a view at the Cliff House.

Go to Fort Point and watch the surfers

No surfers there. Windsurfers, yes!

Take a walk through Chinatown.

Ride the trolley

We haven't trolleys. We have Diesel and electric buses, streetcars,
cable cars, and a subway.

have an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe (is it still there?).

Yes. As popular as ever.

Visit the De Young Museum and the Steinhart aquarium.

The aquarium is being rebuilt.

The following are not in San Francisco.

Sausalito

Muir Woods

A San Franciscan in 47.452 mileĀ² San Francisco.