Best lodges in the Mara for game

Old February 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Best lodges in the Mara for game

Any recommendations on the best lodges in the Mara, when it comes to
being in prime game territory - especially predators? The idea would
be to get to something "interesting" as soon as possible, without
having to cross half the game reserve first.

Keekorok appears to be highly recommended - how does that compare to,
say, Sarova Camp?

Also, with the migration moving later and later, would it be worth
heading there in June? Or, for that matter, would July be
significantly better? Or should we just think of Sep/Oct instead? The
current drought is also throwing off my planning, so any recent
news/comments on this would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
Vandit

Old February 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On 2006-02-24 18:00:00 +0100, "VK" said:

Keekorok appears to be highly recommended - how does that compare to,
say, Sarova Camp?

Didn't go to Keekorok, stayed at Sarova Camp, which I found too close
to the perimeters, but there were lions all over the place - to the
point of boredom.

Geir

Old February 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message .com
"VK" wrote:

Any recommendations on the best lodges in the Mara, when it comes to
being in prime game territory - especially predators? The idea would
be to get to something "interesting" as soon as possible, without
having to cross half the game reserve first.

Keekorok appears to be highly recommended - how does that compare to,
say, Sarova Camp?

It depends on when you're there.
The migration moves within the Mara, so, for example when it crosses
into Kenya, Keekorok is best located. In mid-August, it's Serena,
which is well-located for viewing the wildebeest crossing the river
(I've heard - our driver told us last time the river crossing near
Serena starts around 13/14 August, but I can hardly believe it's an
exact science any more than the date of them 'crossing the border' is.
In any case that's another retirement trip for me as I need to be back
at work in mid-August.) Others will have to fill you in on which
lodges are best as the migration progresses, e.g. in September I
believe the lodges to the north would be better located, e.g. Mara
River Camp.

Also, with the migration moving later and later, would it be worth
heading there in June? Or, for that matter, would July be
significantly better?

You can't predict this far in advance.
Sometimes it can be in the Mara in mid-June, we were *once* in the
Mara (1995) and nothing had arrived by the end of the second week in
July, but we heard the animals had arrived a few days later. The last
time we were there - 2002 :-(, there were very few zebra and
wildebeest to be seen on our first early morning drive out of
Keekorok. After breakfast we went out again and it was unbelievable:
there were thousands of animals piling in! This was the third week in
July.

Or should we just think of Sep/Oct instead? The
current drought is also throwing off my planning, so any recent
news/comments on this would also be appreciated.

I thought it was mainly affecting the north-east of the country?
Maybe I'm a bit out of date on this.

Safari njema!

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

You may want to consider one of the tented camps rather than the lodges
which tend to be very busy. This gives you more freedom and less
competition. I recommend Serian - a small luxury tented camp opened
about 2 years ago. More information on my website at
http://www.safarisandexpeditions.com...hp?id_lodge=56. Game is
always good in the mara but best when the migration heads in - consider
August / September.

Tom

Old February 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message .com
"Tom" wrote:

You may want to consider one of the tented camps rather than the lodges
which tend to be very busy.

Fairy nuff, though the small tented camps can be much more expensive.
But it's certainly nice to spend a night or two 'under canvas'.

This gives you more freedom and less competition.

Can you please explain this sentence? I just can't understand what
point you're making. You surely have the same freedom because it's up
to you and your driver/guide what you do.
Did you mean less competition for beds in the peak season? I couldn't
comment if so, but otherwise ...?

Slainte

Liz