Ljubljana or Zagreb?

Old March 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

Default Ljubljana or Zagreb?

Thinking of stopping by one or the other on the way back from
Budapest/Vienna. Have heard that Ljubljana is still rather bare and
run-down. Been there ( either one/both) lately? Are they different enough
to warrant a couple of days in each?
rjf
weightlifterbob.blogspot.com

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"bob fusillo" skrev i meddelandet
. ..
Thinking of stopping by one or the other on the way back from
Budapest/Vienna. Have heard that Ljubljana is still rather bare and
run-down. Been there ( either one/both) lately? Are they different enough
to warrant a couple of days in each?
rjf
weightlifterbob.blogspot.com

Ljubljana run-down ? Never been as it was in the most prospering area of
Yugoslavia and today's independent Slo venia is much better than so.
EU-member and now in the Euroarea ,expect prices to be more like in
Austria,Italy rather than was in Yugoslavia. Not so much to see though
and in my opinion a day or so could be enough. Zagreb is more interesting
and worth say 2-3 days.

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"bob fusillo" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
Thinking of stopping by one or the other on the way back from
Budapest/Vienna. Have heard that Ljubljana is still rather bare and
run-down. Been there ( either one/both) lately? Are they different enough
to warrant a couple of days in each?
rjf
weightlifterbob.blogspot.com

I have been in Lubiana last year. It is a small capital town. but very well
kept and with a small pedestrians only centre.
Slovenia has always been the richest part of Yugoslavia..
and now they are in the Euro zone. their euro coins are different though. as
the map of europe has all the european countries of the EU zone .
Food is good and prices a little cheaper then in the neighbouring countries.
I would still prefer the PLitvice Park and the Postojna caves. with the
nieghbouring castle. Plitvice of course is in Croatia.

Old March 14th, 2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

bob fusillo wrote:

Thinking of stopping by one or the other on the way back from
Budapest/Vienna. Have heard that Ljubljana is still rather bare and
run-down. Been there ( either one/both) lately? Are they different enough
to warrant a couple of days in each?

I can't comment on Zagreb, but Ljubljana is certainly not run down. A
couple of days is all you need to get a good feel for the city IMO.

I found it a very attractive city. You can see some my snaps here-

http://web.mac.com/davidhornecompose...Ljubjlana.html

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
bob fusillo wrote:
I found it a very attractive city. You can see some my snaps here-

http://web.mac.com/davidhornecompose...Ljubjlana.html

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
(don't email yahoo address) usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

Very nice pix. And the Stratford ones were deja-vuing-- I lived there for a
decade in the fifties, and your pix could have been taken then.
Bob

Old March 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message

"bob fusillo" skrev i meddelandet
. ..
Thinking of stopping by one or the other on the way back from
Budapest/Vienna. Have heard that Ljubljana is still rather bare and
run-down. Been there ( either one/both) lately? Are they different
enough to warrant a couple of days in each?
rjf
weightlifterbob.blogspot.com

Ljubljana run-down ? Never been as it was in the most prospering area
of Yugoslavia and today's independent Slo venia is much better than so.
EU-member and now in the Euroarea ,expect prices to be more like in
Austria,Italy rather than was in Yugoslavia. Not so much to see though
and in my opinion a day or so could be enough. Zagreb is more
interesting and worth say 2-3 days.

I'll second that opinion. Ljubljana is nice little town, but there is more
to do in Zagreb. If you are interested in art, make sure to see the
Mestrovic Museum. And the cemetery, Mirogaj (I know that's spelled wrong,
but it is something like that).

Sarah

Old March 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

bob fusillo wrote:
I found it a very attractive city. You can see some my snaps here-

http://web.mac.com/davidhornecompose...Ljubjlana.html

Very nice pix. And the Stratford ones were deja-vuing-- I lived there for a
decade in the fifties, and your pix could have been taken then.
Bob

Glad to have brought back the memories. I suppose some of the chain
stores wouldn't have been there then? I got up at early on a Sunday
morning to take half of them- great time to take snaps as no one was
around!

Old March 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

bob fusillo wrote:

Glad to have brought back the memories. I suppose some of the chain
stores wouldn't have been there then? I got up at early on a Sunday
morning to take half of them- great time to take snaps as no one was
around!
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
(don't email yahoo address) usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

A personal note: I lived there for ten years, and regularly walked the
streets of the town. It was ( probably is) impossible not to be included in
a photo at every step, especially in the summers. I often wonder how many
thousand of scrapbooks have blurred pix of me carrying veg home from a shop.
There were not as many chains then, of course, but I haven't been there in
over 15 years. There was Boots, of course. I remember American born Lady
Docker, who was chauffeured in a gold-leafed Daimler ( no kidding) and would
dash in to Boots while her chauffeur double parked.
Bob

Old March 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Ljubljana is nice little town, but there is more to do in Zagreb.
If you are interested in art, make sure to see the Mestrovic Museum.

But the Mestrovic Museum is in Split.

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:49:36 -0400, "bob fusillo"
wrote:

Thinking of stopping by one or the other on the way back from
Budapest/Vienna. Have heard that Ljubljana is still rather bare and
run-down. Been there ( either one/both) lately? Are they different enough
to warrant a couple of days in each?
rjf
weightlifterbob.blogspot.com

I haven't been to Zagreb. We drove from Venice towards the
East with no particular destination. I'm afraid I found
Ljublana to be just another small European city, not
particularly special. Probably, in my ignorance, I was
unaware of it's special attractions. We spent the afternoon
and moved on in the evening.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/