1 day in Cleveland

Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
slowpoke

Default 1 day in Cleveland

I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"slowpoke" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Contact a reliable travel agent.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"sharx35" wrote in message

"slowpoke" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Contact a reliable travel agent.

how is this going to help the OP?

tim

Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"tim....." wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote in message
> [...]

"slowpoke" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Contact a reliable travel agent.

how is this going to help the OP?

tim

It will GREATLY increase the probability that the OP will get RELIABLE,
FACTUAL advice.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"sharx35" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote in message
> [...]

"slowpoke" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Contact a reliable travel agent.

how is this going to help the OP?

tim

It will GREATLY increase the probability that the OP will get RELIABLE,
FACTUAL advice.

really?

IMHO you over-estimate the abilities of a TA by a mile.

tim

Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"slowpoke" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Hey Campbell --

I've only visited Cleveland for a short period myself....but the Rock 'n
Roll Hall of Fame, located downtown, makes for a good visit. And depending
on the age of the kids back home, might take care of your need for souvenirs
(good gift shop, as I remember it). I stayed at a big hotel downtown
(Marriott?) for a conference, great location, but expensive (of course, with
the current exchange rate, it may be cheap for you ;-) As for the airport
transport, Cleveland does have a subway that goes to the airport. No problem
if you stay downtown; but I don't know its overall coverage. Cleveland today
has a nice downtown area, some great public art, and strong civic pride. It
used to be a national joke (the burning river), but its come far from those
days.

HTH

Sarah

Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Aug 2, 2:44 pm, slowpoke wrote:
I will be visiting Kent State Uni from Ireland for 1 week in November.
I plan to stop off for a night or two in Cleveland and would be
grateful for recommendations of where I could

- Get stuff for the kids back home.
- Eat very very good ribs
- stay in a reasonable hotel
- Do some sightseeing
- have a memorable church experience
- Get transport to the airport

If all of the above could be within a few blocks it would be great.

Campbell

Are you going to have a car?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

There is a train that travels from the airport to downtown.If you
check you might find an inexpensive hotel downtown. If found a Comfort
Inn downtown which was a good price. An area you might want to visit
is University Circle which has the art museum, and next to University
Circle is the Murray Hill section which has a number of Italian
restaurants. There is a hotel on the campus of Case Western, but it
might be costly. When we visit Cleveland, we stay at a Days Inn in
Lakewood which you can get to by bus or direct from the airport on the
red line train.It may not be convenient for you. You may want to visit
the West Side Market which is also on the red line train. It is not
open on Sunday, but Friday and Saturday, and there are some large old
churches in the neighborhood (I think Catholic). Unless you are really
into Rock and Roll, I am not sure if the hall of fame is worth a
visit. I am sure once you get to Kent State people there will have all
kinds of places to suggest.November can be cold with the wind off the
lake, so plan accordingly.

Tom

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
slowpoke

On 3 Aug, 17:57, "
wrote:
[...]

Thank you everyone who offered suggestions.

Belfast travel agents have limited knowledge of the ribs and souvenir
situation in Cleveland but thats what the internet is for.

I wont have a car so travel will be a problem.

My own research has trawled up

towercitycenter Mall and the nearby holiday in express

Ribs joints seem to be on the west side but I could walk.

As Tom said there are lots of old churches downtown

Old August 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Ramsay

slowpoke wrote:

Thank you everyone who offered suggestions.

Belfast travel agents have limited knowledge of the ribs and souvenir
situation in Cleveland but thats what the internet is for.

I wont have a car so travel will be a problem.

My own research has trawled up

towercitycenter Mall and the nearby holiday in express

Ribs joints seem to be on the west side but I could walk.

As Tom said there are lots of old churches downtown

The TowerCity Mall is also the downtown terminal for trains and subway .

The airport is not far away, so I imagine there's a quick subway or bus
connection.

The Mall is large. You can shop and eat there - anything from fast foods to
elegant hotel & restaurant dining - or go onto the main streets outside.

Your bus from Kent will probably land you in the mall or nearby and
you'll have
a short walk to the Holiday Inn anyway.

Staff at the Holiday Inn can direct you to a good ribs place nearby. There's
lots of restaurants.

If the weather is nice you can also walk from the Tower Mall
to the Flats on the river where there are bars & restaurants.

We've been to downtown Cleveland several times and have
always found lots to see and do.