Any suggestions for a Vienna to Sofia route?

Old June 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
WPB

Default Any suggestions for a Vienna to Sofia route?

Hello, all: About a month ago I posted a query about taking the train from
Vienna to Sofia (note that I spelled the name of Sofia correctly this time)
;-). Anyway, I received some good recommendations. As I hammer out the
details of the trip, I was hoping for some additional advice.

I plan on taking ten days to make the trip from Vienna to Sofia beginning
in late September. In between the two cities is:

- Hungary
- Croatia
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Serbia

I know that ten days or so isn't a long time, but perhaps people could
suggest some routes (and means of transit: trains? buses?) that would make
for an interesting journey.

I'm not a shopping or nightlife kind of person. I like old cities,
cobblestone streets, history, architecture, that sort of thing.

Any and all suggestions would be very gratefully received!

David in Toronto
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

10 days from Vienna to Sofia !!! That covers about 3,000 years of history
and culture!

Assuming your 10 days start after having visited Vienna, my choice would
be:-

Bratislava - one day, then train to
Budapest - two days, then train to
Belgrade - one day, then train to
Bar (Montenegro) - three days (including Kotor,Dubrovnik & Cetinje - may
need to hire a car), then train to
Skopje - one day, then train to
Sofia - one day, then train to.........
Spare day - one day

Travel by overnight train (wherever possible) to save on hotels.
See http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml for all your
timetables
- and have a great time. You will !!!

Regards
Gerry

Old June 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"WPB" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

skip Bratislava
Go directly to Budapest
eventually visit the town of Eger

go down by train to Subotica
from Subotica to Beograd
By train you can visit
Sarajevo and Mostar
Beograd Sofia is not long

Pls note that trains are very slow in the former Yu.. if there are trains at
all
From Beograd to Sofia for instance it is a single track with a diesel train.
People normally move by bus
check also
www.eurolines.com

Sarajevo is the nicest town of them all. It is the town where 4 religions
were accepted. there is a famous book for the Jewish people.
according to the legend. a rabbi fleeing from Spain and spanis inquisition
left his wife and took the book.
skip Skopje. not very much to see there