Zagreb-Sarajevo

Old May 13th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Sarah Banick

Default Zagreb-Sarajevo

Hi rail fans:

I'd like to take the train from Zagreb to Sarajevo this summer, hopefully
stopping somewhere half-way to explore and spend the night. I'm having
trouble sorting out the available info on the web, most likely because I
don't read Croatian/Bosnian, an I'm sure pollitics have something to do with
it. DB is helpful, but I'm still confused:

1. It looks as though the train option goes way east to Osijek, then onto
Sarajevo. Is there no train that goes from Zagreb to Banja Luka?

2. I have seen a train from Banja Luka to Sarajevo (or Novi Grad in the
suburbs, I guess that's the Serb station). Is that just a regional thing?

3. It's a long ride either way....am I better off takiing the bus? Or bus to
Banja Luka, and then train to Novi Grad? Any other suggestions as to places
to overnight? Doesn't have to be a big city.

4. Finally, Sarajevo - Mostar, which way is better, bus or train?

I really enjoy riding trains, but I don't want to go overly out of my way
timewise to do it. All suggestions appreciated.

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Sette_Bello

"Sarah Banick" wrote in message news:roPoc.41672$536.7346254@attbi_s03...
Hi rail fans:

I'd like to take the train from Zagreb to Sarajevo this summer, hopefully
stopping somewhere half-way to explore and spend the night. I'm having
trouble sorting out the available info on the web, most likely because I
don't read Croatian/Bosnian, an I'm sure pollitics have something to do with
it. DB is helpful, but I'm still confused:

1. It looks as though the train option goes way east to Osijek, then onto
Sarajevo. Is there no train that goes from Zagreb to Banja Luka?

I had read in a website that the train actually went by Banja Luka
(Republika Srpska) and then crossed central Bosnia to Sarajevo.

The whole journey takes the whole daytime.

2. I have seen a train from Banja Luka to Sarajevo (or Novi Grad in the
suburbs, I guess that's the Serb station). Is that just a regional thing?

3. It's a long ride either way....am I better off takiing the bus? Or bus to
Banja Luka, and then train to Novi Grad? Any other suggestions as to places
to overnight? Doesn't have to be a big city.

People familiar with Bosnia told me the coach was the main means of
transportation through Bosnia.

I can't advise you, but Let's Go Eastern Europe guide includes an
extensive description of Bosnia-Herzegovina. There must be information
in that guide.

4. Finally, Sarajevo - Mostar, which way is better, bus or train?

I really enjoy riding trains, but I don't want to go overly out of my way
timewise to do it. All suggestions appreciated.

so long
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM
tile

I made Mostar sarajevo by bus..
I do not know about a train.

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Helmut Uttenthaler

Sarah Banick wrote:
Hi rail fans:

I'd like to take the train from Zagreb to Sarajevo this summer,
hopefully stopping somewhere half-way to explore and spend the

night.
I'm having trouble sorting out the available info on the web,

most
likely because I don't read Croatian/Bosnian, an I'm sure

pollitics
have something to do with it. DB is helpful, but I'm still

confused:

1. It looks as though the train option goes way east to Osijek,

then
onto Sarajevo. Is there no train that goes from Zagreb to Banja

Luka?

There is a train Zagreb (dep 8:57) - Banja Luka - Sarajevo - Ploce
(arr 22:45). If you search for a train from Zagreb to Ploce you'll
find that train at the DB website, but intermediate stops in
Bosnia are not included in the DB timetabla database.
This train stops in Banja Luka at ~13:00 and at Sarajeovo at
~18:00, but there are also additional stops in Bosnia.

--
Helmut Uttenthaler,
Graz

Old May 14th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Sarah Banick

Thanks Helmut, and everyone else. That's the train I've been searching for.
I would have never guessed to plug in Zagreb-Ploce. If I plug in
Zagreb-Sarajevo on DB, it goes through Osijek. DB doesn't even recognize
Banja Luka when I try Zagreb-Banja Luka!

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Roderick Smith

I rode the 8.57 from Zagreb on Sun.11.1.04. A pleasant day, but I had to
have my own food stocks.
The train was on time at Banja Luka. At 16.49 we had some interesting
gorge running before darkness.
I alighted at Sarajevo to continue next day, to see the scenic section in
daylight.
Alas: I missed the train next day; it had been retimed from 8.30 to 6.20.
The bus station was next to the railway station, so I continued by bus to
Dubrovnik, rather than train to Ploce, then bus to Dubrovnik.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Sarah Banick wrote in article

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Roderick Smith schrieb:

The train was on time at Banja Luka. At 16.49 we had some interesting
gorge running before darkness.
I alighted at Sarajevo to continue next day, to see the scenic section in
daylight.
Alas: I missed the train next day; it had been retimed from 8.30 to 6.20.

Bad luck. You read the announcements upon departure, not immediatly
after arrival?

Regards, ULF
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Phil Richards

On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:35:45 +0200 Ulf Kutzner -
mainz.de said...

Alas: I missed the train next day; it had been retimed from 8.30 to 6.20.

Bad luck. You read the announcements upon departure, not immediatly
after arrival?

That's something I always do on leaving the station before going to say a
hotel for the night.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Nick Name

"Helmut Uttenthaler" wrote in message ...
Sarah Banick wrote:
[...]

In the Thomas Cook Timetable 2003 I found this for you

Zagreb: 08:58
Sunja: 10:17
Volinja: 10:58
Dobrljin: 11:21
Novi Grad: 11:34
Banja Luka: 13:05
Doboj: 14:40
Zenica: 16:32
Sarajevo: 17:54

train number: 397
through service (1st and 2nd class seats)
snacks and drinks available
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM
tim

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
T...
On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:35:45 +0200 Ulf Kutzner -
mainz.de said...

Alas: I missed the train next day; it had been retimed from 8.30 to

6.20.

Bad luck. You read the announcements upon departure, not immediatly
after arrival?

That's something I always do on leaving the station before going to say a
hotel for the night.

for me that would be too late.

If it's changed to a 06.20 departure and I'd still be looking for the
alternative bus

tim