Tauck Tour-Tanzania Classic African Safari???

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Liz

In message
(ClimbHighSleepLow) wrote:

Hi Rita, 3 nights in Ngorongoro?

Too many vehicles around for my liking. It's a must see but every time
I go there I cannot wait to get away from the crowds!

I was there in early July and it really wasn't a problem, although the
lodges were mostly full.

Our driver knew we didn't want to be in crowds, so he drove in less popular
areas: it's a big caldera and it wasn't difficult. Also as always, we were
late for lunch, so didn't even get mobbed by the kites at the picnic site.
The only time we were in a crowd was around two huge pythons, which we chose
to go to look at.

In a vehicle with others, you may have less flexibility: if the others in
the vehicle "just want to see cats" (a not-unusual scenario, by which they
don't seem to mean servals) you are condemned to spending most of your time
n a circle with other vehicles. But not always: even in the Ngorongoro we
spent time on our own with a group of lionesses, one of whom was very close
to giving birth.

Although it's already over two years since I've been in EA :-((( I'd imagine
a budget of $500 pppd would be enough to have a private safari, if there
were two people travelling together. Sadly, sss would push the single person
price above this (which is why I'm being priced out, sadly).

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at
http://www.v-liz.com
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Rita Daggett

Hi Rita, 3 nights in Ngorongoro?

Too many vehicles around for my liking. It's a must see but every time
I go there I cannot wait to get away from the crowds!
IMO, the best way to do the Crater is to go down in the afternoon
about 2-3 hours before closing - at that time most vehicles are
starting to leave. I make sure that we are about last to leave!

We got to the Crater Rim fairly late one afternoon, having driven from
Arusha, then got down into it fairly early in the morning. It wasnt
difficult to get away from the crowds, tho they obviously gathered around
any 'spectacular' sights (for example, a pride of lions interacting with a
herd of buffalo) and at the lunch venue(s). But often we couldnt see
another vehicle at all. The second day we went to a different part of the
Crater.
I wouldnt have liked to arrive late in the afternoon, do the one day in the
Crater, and then pack up and leave straight after breakfast the next day.

--
Rita Daggett

Old November 19th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz
writes
In message
(ClimbHighSleepLow) wrote:

[...]

Liz,
We paid $750 for a two day safari to Masai Mara, going by air, with a
company in Nairobi. We had a driver and vehicle which were exclusive to
us. We also did the same again to Amboseli. The $750 I should have said
was for two people. Like you we haven`t been on safari in EA for a
year or two. For now we are enjoying BBC2 wildlife programmes on
Sundays. Big Cat diary starts in January.
I`ve also renewed my subscription to Swara, the magazine of the East
African Wildlife Society, as well as reading Africa Travel magazine.
There are some great articles and features in both.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson