What is Adelaide Like?

Old September 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnH

Default What is Adelaide Like?

I thought we were answering the guys question , NOT trying to "blow ones
bags" about ones local areas.
There are areas in each state that are great, he asked about Adelaide...stop
confusing the guy.
John H
"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message

SNIP

Adelaide (population 1,119,920 in June 2003)
Coastline: 3,700 kilometres (with 100 islands)
Temps in January are around 30C - 39C so water will be quite warm, so all
can go swimming.
Beaches are long and clean, white and sandy

Beaches definitely not as nice as those around Sydney which are better
than
those around Brisbane. The beaches around Adelaide are on the St Vincent
Gulf not directly in the Southern Ocean. The only beaches on the Southern
Ocean anywhere near Adelaide are those near Port Elliot and Middleton.
These
are better than the beaches like those at Glenelg and Semaphore (both
suburbs of Adelaide).

BTW I still reckon you should come to Perth. Our beaches are better and
the
bicycle facilities beat those in the other Australian cities.

Gerrit - Perth

Old September 1st, 2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

JohnH wrote:
I thought we were answering the guys question , NOT trying to "blow ones
bags" about ones local areas.
There are areas in each state that are great, he asked about Adelaide...stop
confusing the guy.

He has also asked about Perth and other areas (mainly east coast
IIRC), hence Gerrit's response.

Old September 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

If the OP wants to cycle to the beach from Adelaide, he will need strong
legs. Unless he fancies surfing at Glenelg. Perth has got the most
accessible strip of beach suburbs of any big city (Sydney's beaches are
better but generally more expensive).

Adelaide is extremely dull at night; Perth marginally less so.

Out of Adelaide and Perth, he would be crazy to do Adelaide, unless he was
into wine, serious food, or faux German villages - which I suspect not.
..

Old September 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Warren

Unless he fancies surfing at Glenelg???
Where did he mention surfing?

.

Old September 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
AlmostBob

a cemetary with street lights
boring

--
If at first you dont succeed
try try try again

_
wrote in message
ps.com...
I would like to know what Adelaide is like. Here are my questions:

1. Are there similarly diverse restaurants, stores and goods like you
find in Sydney and Brisbane?
2. Is it expensive (in general)? Much cheaper than Sydney? Cost of a
holiday rental for one month? The average dinner (like at a chinese
place)?
3. What is the ocean water temperature like in January? Is it cool or
tropical? (I know the air temperature is around 30C in January). Are
the beaches nice like eastern Australia?
4. How is the scenery? Mountains? Pure fresh air?
5. Are crocidiles and snakes found like they are on the east coast?
6. Will it be easy to bicycle around town and in the suburds? Bicycle
paths anywhere?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated?

Old September 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnH

Interesting answer
So! with you being so blatantly biased against Adelaide,
I would wonder what makes "your city/town so vibrant to you?
Please do tell, so we all know what your preferences are!
Might be that the gay bars arent close enough to your
hotel or similar, seeing that you are only "almost Bob", perhaps "almost
Roberta"

No city is perfect for everyone, but to make a blanket statement like that
suggests its "you that is the problem" not the place where you are visiting.

I have been to most large cities/towns in Australia over 30 years and have
found
all have a uniqueness and something of value, even though I definitely
wouldnt live in some of them.
Perhaps you dont get outside of the pub when you go somewhere else and look
around the place properly.

If you want to start a verbal war on what each city has thats dull and
boring ,
I believe I could do quite well for every capital city, but it would only be
what I saw
in the limited time and area I went to, just as yours would be.

John H

Old September 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

"Warren" wrote in message
Unless he fancies surfing at Glenelg???
Where did he mention surfing?

I thought he listed this in a previous post re Perth.

Old September 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
TimW

Australia is a long way to travel for what seems to be a cuisine based
tour of the country! It's the first time I've seen someone schedule
their itininerary based on the food and shopping on offer in various
centers - here I was thinking that people came to our shores to view
our wild landscapes and unique fauna!

As someone has already mentioned, Perth (and Fremantle) are certainly
not backwaters when it comes to fine and varied cuisine - I fondly
remember many nights dining at some fine cafes and restaurants down in
Freo.

I've lived near Adelaide, grew up in Sydney, resided for a number of
years in Cairns, and spent a considerable amount of time in Melbourne,
Darwin, and Perth. All of them, by and large, offer a fairly wide
selection of local, European, and Asian cuisine. I don't think I'd
necessarily favor one over another, it just comes down to the quality,
quantity, and cost. Sydney probably has the most vibrant night life and
bar scene, and Melbourne can't be beat for cafe life - though Adelaide
is beginning to run it a close second. And the pub scene is probably
the same nation-wide, from major urban centers to the smallest country
town - if you want local Australian flavor - and basic food - the pubs
are where its at.

Hope you can spare the time away from all that food to actually try and
take in some of the sights!

Cheers.....Tim

Old September 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
TimW

One other point I forgot to mention. If you're planning on doing the
gourmet round of our different soft-drinks, you'll be dissapointed. I
live in the US these days, and you'll find that with few exceptions the
soft drinks are more or less the same, though some may come by
different names. One little note of warning though - don't buy a can of
lemonade thinking you'll get the US equivalent - what you'll actually
find yourself guzzling down is something like Seven-up. And we don't
call the drinks soda's or pop, as many Americans do. As you've already
noted, we refer to them as soft drinks.

Cheers.....Tim