Egypt Tours - Any Recommendations?

Old February 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Dave[_19_]

Default Egypt Tours - Any Recommendations?

I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

Am hoping not to spend more than £1000 (including around £200 for
return flights) per person and will be travelling as two.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:59:39 -0800 (PST), Dave
wrote:

I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

Am hoping not to spend more than £1000 (including around £200 for
return flights) per person and will be travelling as two.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Ask me in May, when I get back. I will be doing a nine-night
trip with Osoris in March. Cairo, including Giza and the
Museum, train to Aswan, car day trip to Abu Simbel and back
to Aswan (flights are booked out), three nights on the Nile
back to Luxor, flight back to Cairo for a couple more
nights. Individual driver and/or guides.

It would be within your budget but I won't recommend (or
pan) it until I've done it.

Direct email in May will be loralspamatgmaildotspamcom.
Remove and adjust the obvious. I'll be spending April in
other places including comparing Pyramids in Yucatan.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Latest: Slovenia
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"Dave" wrote in message
I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

Am hoping not to spend more than £1000 (including around £200 for
return flights) per person and will be travelling as two.

Many thanks and kind regards,

If you want to see as much as possible within 2 weeks on, presumably, your
first visit:

Certainly use a package - but it needn't cost as much as £1,000.

Take the air option from Aswan to Abu - half-an-hour flight and far more
time there - saving towards 8 hours of very boring car drive.

Take an extra day out for Aswan itself - numerous sights there as well as
the dam!

Extend time in Luxor after the cruise. 3 days for Luxor/Valleys/Karnak
should be the absolute minimum. Try the short-distance to Dendera, just
north of Luxor - one of the best temples of all and rarely visited by tours.

Cherry-pick the inevitable Cairo Museum tour - maybe the Tut stuff and
mummies? Otherwise you could be in for hours of corridor-wandering.

Many other tips if you want 'em, but these are the basic 'errors' first-time
visitors can make.

Enjoy!

Surreyman

Old February 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:59:39 -0800 (PST) schrieb Dave:

I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

I would do the "classic" tour: One week on a ship on the river Nile from
Luxor to Assuan and back, and one week in Cairo if possible.

Most packages include one week in Hurghada, which I personally found simply
a boring place.

Am hoping not to spend more than £1000 (including around £200 for
return flights) per person and will be travelling as two.

Should be possible in September, as it should still be the "low" season
(=still hot climate).

Regards,

Frank
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

wrote:

I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

Am hoping not to spend more than £1000 (including around £200 for
return flights) per person and will be travelling as two.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Ask me in May, when I get back. I will be doing a nine-night
trip with Osoris in March. Cairo, including Giza and the
Museum, train to Aswan, car day trip to Abu Simbel and back
to Aswan (flights are booked out), three nights on the Nile
back to Luxor, flight back to Cairo for a couple more
nights. Individual driver and/or guides.

We spent two weeks there. First week in Cairo, then the next on a boat
on the Nile. The flight to Abu Simbel from Aswan was an option we
decided not to do. I'm sure it's very interesting, but we felt a bit
amazing historic buildinged out(!) and just spent the day wandering
around Aswan.

We had a tour guide on the Nile cruise, and it was well worth it. We
managed Cairo fine, but the constant pestering can be a distraction, and
I consider myself fairly good at ignoring it... A guide will usually
avoid this problem.

Cycling (without a guide) around the west bank (Valley of the Kings
etc.) was one of the highlights of our trip.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article b9228900-7254-4ad1-ae34-1a293febc0f7
@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com, Dave says...
I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however).

See here the trip we did in 2003:
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Egypt/2003/

Two weeks, seeing a lot of places.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:58:54 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

Am hoping not to spend more than £1000 (including around £200 for
return flights) per person and will be travelling as two.

Many thanks and kind regards,

If you want to see as much as possible within 2 weeks on, presumably, your
first visit:

Certainly use a package - but it needn't cost as much as £1,000.

Take the air option from Aswan to Abu - half-an-hour flight and far more
time there - saving towards 8 hours of very boring car drive.

I agree, from research since I booked. But, by the time I
realised it the flights were booked out. Apparently you need
to book early now that they use a "tourist convoy" for the
road trip.

Old February 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Rita Daggett

I have two weeks booked in mid September. Will be travelling from
London, UK. I would like to see as much of Egypt as possible in those
weeks (not too rushed however). I've seen tours via trailfinders and
onthego. Would there be any other recommendations anyone would like to
share with me?

Cant help with costs; I went many years ago on a Swan Hellenic trip. I think
it was 9 days and it was too rushed.
We had a day in Cairo at the beginning - did Pyramids.
Then flew to Luxor and joined boat for cruise up to Aswan. Did all the usual
stuff - and its all good! Karnak particularly. Felt a bit 'templed out' and
missed out on Valley of the Queens and wish I hadnt.
Loved Aswan; did a felucca trip out to island (sorry, cant recall its name,
but its famous!) and did a day trip (flew) to Abu Simbel - which in my view
is a 'dont miss'.
Last day back in Cairo in Museum - the trip had put the stuff in the museum
'in context' but I wouldnt have minded missing that.

--
Rita Daggett

Old February 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Reg Hann

Try SA Tours & Safaris in South Africa for info.

SA Tours & Safaris (Pty) Ltd (TOURSA)
PO Box 2806, Durbanville 7550
Cape Town, South Africa
TEL: +27-21 9752189/9754472
FAX: +27-21-9755194

web:
www.toursa.com, www.krugerpark.com, www.gamelodges.com,

www.saparks.com, www.kznparks.com, www.wackywildlifewonders.com
===================================

View our recently launched www.toursa.com !

v Easy to navigate and find information

v Updated travel resource for 11 countries in Southern Africa

v Comprehensive collection of 747 accommodation establishments

v Information on 280 Group Tours and Safaris

v Comprehensive maps and information on 300 towns and destinations

v All the information you will need to plan a great visit to Southern
Africa

v Easy and direct online communication via skype and web-chat to our
travel consultants during office hours

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
Nisse PowerMan

wrote:

[...]

I went around Cairo, the Pyramids, Luxor, Valey of kings, Awuan but
skipped Abu Simbel because it was too far away, need to take the flight
to save time.

In Cairo check the Egyptian Museum, spend at least one day there. Half
day at Giza, get INTO the pyramids, take another day trip outside Cairo
to Saqqara and also the Red and Bent Pyramid.

In Luxor spend a full day outside and check Valley of the Kings, Luxor
temple itself is ok but not great.

I took the early daytrain to Aswan and back because I really dislike
going on the boat. It is too boring for me.

Try the Cairo Tower for a coffee break and lookout. It was financed with
American funds. The idea was that Egypt buy American warfare equipment.
Smart Nasser used the money to build this tower instead.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/cairotower.htm

/Nisse

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!