USA East Coast

Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
tUMA

Default USA East Coast

me and my friend are thinking abut traveling to the us east coast around feb
2005

We will proberly get a eastern rail pass and travel around for about 3
weeks.

Where looking for recommendations on where to go?

New York and Florida are the main 2 we want to see. I also thought about
going to Dallas but im sure theres someone out there whos been to the US and
has some good places for us to visit. We want places with plenty to do
during the day. is there any good National PArks ?

Thanks

Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
PeterL

"tUMA" wrote in message
. ..
me and my friend are thinking abut traveling to the us east coast around

feb
2005

We will proberly get a eastern rail pass and travel around for about 3
weeks.

Where looking for recommendations on where to go?

New York and Florida are the main 2 we want to see.

If that's the case may I suggest ditch the rail pass idea. Stay in New York
City, then fly to Florida.

I also thought about
going to Dallas but im sure theres someone out there whos been to the US

and
has some good places for us to visit. We want places with plenty to do
during the day.

That kind of rules out Dallas.

is there any good National PArks ?

Plenty of those, although most are pretty inaccessible by rail.
Thanks

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:46 PM
Roger B.

"tUMA" wrote...
me and my friend are thinking abut traveling to the us east coast
around feb 2005. We will proberly get a eastern rail pass and travel
around for
about 3 weeks.
Where looking for recommendations on where to go?

New York and Florida are the main 2 we want to see. I also thought
about going to Dallas but im sure theres someone out there whos
been to the US and has some good places for us to visit. We want
places with plenty to do during the day. is there any good National
Parks?

February is still winter in most of the U.S. and many Parks will be
inaccessible or restricted during that time of year... and none are
convenient to rail travel... But there are several National Parks in
the East... there's Acadia NP (Maine), Shenandoah NP (Virginia),
Great Smoky Mtns. (NC & Tennessee). But again, those will likely
have many snow restrictions.

Florida has Everglades & Biscayne NP's. In Florida, winter is the
high-season and the Parks will be fully functional. They are also
convenient to the Florida Keys, which being tropical, stay warm.

As the other poster suggested. Fly to NYC and take in the sites,
perhaps catch a shuttle-flight or train to Washington, DC, and see
the Smithsonian museums. The French Quarter in New Orleans
is a potential rail stop, and from there a train to Florida. I suggest
checking with www.amtrak.com for schedules. [R]

Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:43 AM
Pan

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:20:10 GMT, "tUMA"
wrote:

me and my friend are thinking abut traveling to the us east coast around feb
2005

Note: Weather is unpredictable, but February can be a very cold month
in the Northeast and Middle Atlantic states.

We will proberly get a eastern rail pass and travel around for about 3
weeks.

Where looking for recommendations on where to go?

Snow and ice allowing, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington.
That's more than enough for 3 weeks!

New York and Florida are the main 2 we want to see.

Have you checked the travel time from New York to the city/-ies in
Florida you want to visit? It's about 1,500 miles from New York to
Miami, for example. My advice is, if you want to visit Florida, either
fly in to Florida and spend your time there, or fly into, say, New
York, stay for two weeks, and get a separate round-trip flight to some
city in Florida that interests you.

I also thought about
going to Dallas

Do you want to take two-day rail trips? Note, too, that sleeper
accomodations on Amtrak tend to cost more than flights! I don't know
what discount you can get with special passes, but Dallas wouldn't be
on an eastern pass, I figure.

but im sure theres someone out there whos been to the US and
has some good places for us to visit. We want places with plenty to do
during the day. is there any good National PArks ?

Seems to me, in February, you'd better be skiing if you're going to a
park in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic areas.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:46:48 -0400, "Roger B."
wrote:

"tUMA" wrote...
[...]

All good suggestions. I suggest a stop in Philadelphia for a few days
also. A very attractive center, and some nice historical monuments.
Also a very nice urban park, with some good walking trails, although
it may be too cold in February to enjoy them.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old September 24th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"tUMA" wrote:

me and my friend are thinking abut traveling to the us east coast around feb
2005

We will proberly get a eastern rail pass and travel around for about 3
weeks.

Where looking for recommendations on where to go?

New York and Florida are the main 2 we want to see. I also thought about
going to Dallas but im sure theres someone out there whos been to the US and
has some good places for us to visit. We want places with plenty to do
during the day. is there any good National PArks ?

Dallas is not on the east coast. Without knowing the slightest thing
about your interests and why you want to visit the east coast, I do
not have any recommendations for you. February IS not the best time
to visit National Parks, except maybe in Florida, but Florida isn't
known for its national parks.