Mobile phones in Kenya

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:15:08 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

You'll have excellent coverage around Nairobi and the towns, but on safari
there won't be any coverage at all.

Riverman,

misinformation. There is some coverage.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM
riverman

wrote:

You'll have excellent coverage around Nairobi and the towns, but on safari
there won't be any coverage at all.

Riverman,

misinformation. There is some coverage.

Hans-Georg

You are probably correct in that there is some coverage, most likely around
the more popular game lodges or near the entrances, but I would't rely on
there being much. Considering the range of possible places the OP could be
travelling, do you have a source of where the coverage is available?

--riverman

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM
riverman

wrote:

You'll have excellent coverage around Nairobi and the towns, but on
safari
there won't be any coverage at all.

Riverman,

misinformation. There is some coverage.

Hans-Georg

You are probably correct in that there is some coverage, most likely
around the more popular game lodges or near the entrances, but I would't
rely on there being much. Considering the range of possible places the OP
could be travelling, do you have a source of where the coverage is
available?

Whoops, sorry for answering my own post, but I forgot that I had this site
bookmarked. Check out: http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/kenya.shtml

This is a great site for travellers, btw.

--riverman

Old January 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:08:20 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

Check out: http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/kenya.shtml

This is a great site for travellers, btw.

Riverman,

thanks for this good link!

However, the maps for Kenya are apparently obsolete or
overpessimistic. They don't show the existent coverage in Maasai
Mara, in the higher regions of the Samburu area (probably from
Isiolo or Archer's Post), or in Marigat. In fact there is some
limited coverage even in Baringo, if you're willing to walk
around a bit with your phone and find a sweet spot (or climb on
a water tank).

There is also coverage in Kajiado, Ilbisil, but apparently not
yet in Namanga or Amboseli, not even on the top of Observation
Hill.

If anybody has any news on this, please reply here.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
riverman

wrote:

Check out: http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/kenya.shtml

This is a great site for travellers, btw.

Riverman,

thanks for this good link!

However, the maps for Kenya are apparently obsolete or
overpessimistic. They don't show the existent coverage in Maasai
Mara, in the higher regions of the Samburu area (probably from
Isiolo or Archer's Post), or in Marigat. In fact there is some
limited coverage even in Baringo, if you're willing to walk
around a bit with your phone and find a sweet spot (or climb on
a water tank).

There is also coverage in Kajiado, Ilbisil, but apparently not
yet in Namanga or Amboseli, not even on the top of Observation
Hill.

If anybody has any news on this, please reply here.

Yes, I think the site is not updated regularly. In DRC, for example, it does
not show Vodacom as a provider, although they are the largest provider in
the country. Similarly, there is some coverage in Goma that is not shown, as
well as in Lubumbashi and Kolwezi (I believe Kolwezi has coverage).

--riverman