Singapore stopover

Old September 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
katyjane

Default Singapore stopover

I'm looking for a Singapore hotel recommendation - somewhere to relax
for a couple of nights after an Adelaide-Darwin overland trip, before
flying back to the UK.

Requirements - clean & quiet, private bathroom, good & preferably
open-air restaurant/bar and a garden with pool OR located very close to
a quiet, undeveloped beach. Don't care about room service, TV, or
flashy public spaces, and I'm happy without air-con if there's a fan.
Location doesn't matter as long as it's not noisy, but anything that
advertises itself as 'fun' is unlikely to appeal. Up to about S$180
per night for a double.

Any suggestions please - all I can find is high-rise horrors or
no-frill backpacker places!

katyjane

Old September 13th, 2005, 08:40 AM
wattie

Try the resort hotel on Sentosa Island, can't recall the name at present.
The beach is mostly man-made, but when I was there, it was very quiet.
WM

ups.com...

Old September 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Anette

Plaza Parkroyal has a relatively quiet location and a VERY nice pool area.

We found it on wotif and I think we paid 130/night and the value is
excellent!

Wotif is generally a good place to find S'pore hotels :-) You can always get
a really good place for S$150

Anette

"katyjane"

Old September 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM
A Mate

a quiet, undeveloped beach in Singapore!!!

Sentosa Island is quiet (it's also where the Republic of Singapore houses
its political prisoners!!!) but it's hardly undeveloped. Cable car access
and all!!

ups.com...

Old September 13th, 2005, 01:36 PM
katyjane

wattie wrote:
Try the resort hotel on Sentosa Island, can't recall the name at present.
The beach is mostly man-made, but when I was there, it was very quiet.
WM

There appear to be several hotels on Sentosa. I'm guessing you're
referring to the Rasa Sentosa Resort, as according to it's blurb it's
the only beachfront hotel in Singapore - which saves me a fruitless
hunt for others, so thanks!

It's out of our price range (& the building looks ghastly - why do they
do that?!), but the inland Sijori Resort looks like it might be our
kind of place.

I'm just a bit concerned about Sentosa itself though, which advertises
itself with phrases like "an entertainment theme island", "a world
where the fun never ends" and "teeming with events all year". Is it
actually as bad as it sounds, or is it possible to pretend that all
that stuff doesn't exist?

katyjane

Old September 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
wattie

We really just spent our time on the beach or in the city so didn't see all
the 'action' on Sentosa.
Maybe your idea about the inland hotel would be better then. You can go to
the beach whenever you felt like it.
WM
"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 13th, 2005, 10:44 PM
JohnM

In article , A Mate
writes
a quiet, undeveloped beach in Singapore!!!

Sentosa Island is quiet (it's also where the Republic of Singapore houses
its political prisoners!!!) but it's hardly undeveloped. Cable car access
and all!!

Cable car access until 9pm..

--
JohnM
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Anette" wrote in message
. dk...
Plaza Parkroyal has a relatively quiet location and a VERY nice pool

area.

We found it on wotif and I think we paid 130/night and the value is
excellent!

Wotif is generally a good place to find S'pore hotels :-) You can always

get
a really good place for S$150

Anette

We stayed in this hotel last year and were happy with it. Just over the road
from the Arab area. Within walking distance of Little India.
And yes the pool area is pleasant but not overused.
Breakfasts were more than adequate and for the other meals we were out.

Gerrit - Oz

Old September 15th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:24:10 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart"
wrote:

Plaza Parkroyal has a relatively quiet location and a VERY nice pool

area.

We stayed in this hotel last year and were happy with it. Just over the

road
from the Arab area. Within walking distance of Little India.
And yes the pool area is pleasant but not overused.
Breakfasts were more than adequate and for the other meals we were out.

Were breakfasts included in that rate?

--
Craig

We had a Singapore Airlines stopover package and breakfasts were not
included but we did get a 50% reduction on them.

Gerrit

Old September 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:44:19 +0100, JohnM
wrote:

In article , A Mate
writes
a quiet, undeveloped beach in Singapore!!!

Sentosa Island is quiet (it's also where the Republic of Singapore houses
its political prisoners!!!) but it's hardly undeveloped. Cable car access
and all!!

Cable car access until 9pm..

But after that you can probably still catch a bus or a ferry or for
goodness sake walk across the causeway/bridge.

Just a short walk from the big resort mentioned earlier, their is a
camping ground that you will be able to get cheap accomodation, and
also probably quite times.

Bar just down the road if you wish or just stroll down to the beach
for a relax.