Help! What to wear in cooler weather??

Old February 24th, 2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Help! What to wear in cooler weather??

As a cruise newbie I thought I'd asked everything and had a good idea
about what I'd need and what to expect but.... We are leaving in a few
days for the Monarch of the Seas cruise to normally warm and sunny
San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada. It looks like Mother Nature might
throw a wrench into the plans and we will be facing cool and rainy
days and nights about 50 degrees. Usually that part of the country
has warmed nicely by now and I'd planned warm weather clothing. Now I
have no idea what to wear--especially in the evening.

Daytime shouldn't be too much trouble since anything with a jacket
will probably be fine. But what about evening? Does 50 feel like 35
when ocean breezes kick in? I'd planned several nice short sleeved
blouses for dinners. Will that still be okay or should we switch to
more wintery attire? I'm assuming the dining room will be a
comfortable temp but what about the walk to the dining room? I have a
friend who has taken a number of whale watching tours out of San Diego
and he says that even when the weather is nice it's often chilly to
down-right cold out on the water. I'm afraid that we might be
severely under-estimating the chill factor. I'm taking at least one
sweat shirt. I know that it probably wouldn't be appropriate for
dinner but what about hanging around the ship afterwards in the
evenings? Maybe I should be thinking about several sweat shirts. Am
I overreacting? Help!

cha
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

cha wrote:

Daytime shouldn't be too much trouble since anything with a jacket
will probably be fine. But what about evening? Does 50 feel like 35
when ocean breezes kick in? I'd planned several nice short sleeved
blouses for dinners. Will that still be okay or should we switch to
more wintery attire? I'm assuming the dining room will be a
comfortable temp but what about the walk to the dining room?

The entire ship is climate cotrolled - they'll turn up the heat if they
need to, to maintain a comfortable temperature in the public areas.
You'll have your own climate controls in your cabin. Unless you choose
to, you don't have to walk outside to get to dinner, so the weather out
there can have no impact on your wardrobe decisions. Personally, I
find, that even in the hot Caribbean ckimate, they tend to keep ships a
little too cool for my preference, so I always have a light cotton
sweater to throw on, in the dining room or show lounge, in case I need
it.

I'm taking at least one
sweat shirt. I know that it probably wouldn't be appropriate for
dinner but what about hanging around the ship afterwards in the
evenings? Maybe I should be thinking about several sweat shirts. Am
I overreacting? Help!

The ship is like a big hotel...if it's snowing outside, it won't be
snowing inside the ship! Relax. There are doors to the outside...it's
not like the weather is whipping through the corridors. You won't be
rained on in the theater while the jugglers are doing their thing.
These ships are designed with passenger comfort in mind. They have
heat, they have a/c, they have thermostats. What do you wear in your
house? (okay...bad example...we keep our thermostat set at, like, 62°
so I'm pretty bundled up at home). I mean, if you want to spend some
time outside in the evenings, then yes, you'll need to bring some warm
layers. But, if you're content to spend your evenings inside the
comfort of your floating hotel, then don't stress the weather. You'll
be perfectly comfortable inside.

Lee

cha

Old February 24th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In the evening, aboard (inside) the
ship, you will find they have "climate
control" so you can wear just about
anything you prefer. Out on deck it may
be cool, but then you don't have to go
out onto the exposed deck areas!!
Ashore, out of doors, it will be warm
enough during the day, even when it is
raining, to get along with a nice light,
waterproof jacket and some kind of a
head cover. Think of light weight layers
of clothing for outdoors.
Enjoy your cruise!
Cheers,
John in LALALand (Los Angeles)

cha wrote:
As a cruise newbie I thought I'd asked everything and had a good idea
about what I'd need and what to expect but.... We are leaving in a few
days for the Monarch of the Seas cruise to normally warm and sunny
San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada. It looks like Mother Nature might
throw a wrench into the plans and we will be facing cool and rainy
days and nights about 50 degrees. Usually that part of the country
has warmed nicely by now and I'd planned warm weather clothing. Now I
have no idea what to wear--especially in the evening.
Snip

Old February 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake J Carnaghie :

In the evening, aboard (inside) the
ship, you will find they have "climate
control" so you can wear just about
anything you prefer. Out on deck it may
be cool, but then you don't have to go
out onto the exposed deck areas!!
Ashore, out of doors, it will be warm
enough during the day, even when it is
raining, to get along with a nice light,
waterproof jacket and some kind of a
head cover. Think of light weight layers
of clothing for outdoors.
Enjoy your cruise!
Cheers,

We've found the interiors of most ships to be cool even in the
Caribbean in dead summer. The believe in A/C and keep the thermostat
turned down. Most evening Carol wore a light sweater in the dinning
room.

YMMV.

--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future
There is only the now
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Forgive me Dillon, but is a "dinning room" just a REALLY loud room?
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 27th, 2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Nicely coordinated layers will do you fine. And a good rain jacket with
a hood if possible. :-)

Old February 28th, 2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "Dick G" dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom :

Forgive me Dillon, but is a "dinning room" just a REALLY loud room?

Just washed my hands, can't do a thing with them.