Tokyo farecards (Was: Trip Report - Japan)

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Dave Fossett

Default Tokyo farecards (Was: Trip Report - Japan)

"Phelan" wrote:

If you are just in Tokyo I found the Suicard or
Suica, I can't remember which, was very useful, it
is a rechargeable smart card, you just keep it in
your wallet and wave it over the turnstile as you
go through, it automatically deducts the fare.

You can load it up with credit at a machine.

I found it useful as I didn't have to shag around
working out the fare and using the complicated
fare machines. Also I love new technology and
coming from New Zealand where we don't use trains
or any other form of public transport, the novelty
value was irresistible !

Not speaking any Japanese - much to my Japanese
wife's disgust - I found it required as little
communication as necessary, and given you have to
contend with the heat and unfamiliar symbols and a
confusing route layout etc., this card made it all
a bit easier.

Definitely recommended, for the reasons you give. Unfortunately, none of the
various prepaid farecards available in Tokyo offer any savings, but they do
make travelling about much easier.
The Suica card price includes a refundable 500 yen deposit. JR also has the
IO card, which is a more conventional magnetic farecard that must be fed
through the ticket barriers rather than just touched on the top. This
doesn't require a deposit, though.
Both of these cards only cover JR lines, but a Passnet card is available for
use on all the subway and private lines in Tokyo.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old September 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
Phelan

Dave Fossett wrote:

"Phelan" wrote:

[...]

Cheers, glad that was useful, are you still there
? did you get any of the earth quake :-)