Seatings on RSSC Navigator

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Seatings on RSSC Navigator

I'm thinking of taking a Batic Cruise on the RSSC Navigator. I'm a
single sixtyish male and I'd be going alone. Their literature says
they have open seating in their several restaurants. They make no
mention of assigned seating. Does that mean they don't have assigned
seating in a main dining room? I understand that most cruise lines
tend to seat singles at certain tables and I would prefer that, rather
than finding new dinner partners every night or plunking myself down at
a table with strangers. Can anybody shed light on this? thanx.

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 17 Feb 2006 22:13:55 -0800, "jimoran" wrote:

Does that mean they don't have assigned
seating in a main dining room? I understand that most cruise lines
tend to seat singles at certain tables and I would prefer that, rather
than finding new dinner partners every night or plunking myself down at
a table with strangers. Can anybody shed light on this? thanx.

Hi,

They have open dining in all of their dining rooms. They have no
assigned seating. You will be seated with whomever you wish or by
yourself if that is your preference. Any more questions, just ask!

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:13:55 -0500, jimoran wrote
(in article . com):

I'm thinking of taking a Batic Cruise on the RSSC Navigator. I'm a
single sixtyish male and I'd be going alone. Their literature says
they have open seating in their several restaurants. They make no
mention of assigned seating. Does that mean they don't have assigned
seating in a main dining room? I understand that most cruise lines
tend to seat singles at certain tables and I would prefer that, rather
than finding new dinner partners every night or plunking myself down at
a table with strangers. Can anybody shed light on this? thanx.

You will be asked if you want to join a group or sit alone. I traveled on the
RSSC Mariner for a 12 Amazon cruise and joined a group every night but one in
which I thought I may have to order seconds of my main dish.

If you go down about the same time every night you will get repeats in
tablemates. LOL I got the Opera lecturer from Hell three nights. Also the
cast members of the main show can eat in the main dining room on non show
nights, I got two members of the show twice.

Old February 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"jimoran" wrote in news:1140243235.158607.29840
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm thinking of taking a Batic Cruise on the RSSC Navigator. I'm a
single sixtyish male and I'd be going alone. Their literature says
they have open seating in their several restaurants. They make no
mention of assigned seating. Does that mean they don't have assigned
seating in a main dining room? I understand that most cruise lines
tend to seat singles at certain tables and I would prefer that, rather
than finding new dinner partners every night or plunking myself down

at
a table with strangers. Can anybody shed light on this? thanx.

Open seating is an odd thing. On a recent cruise we ended up with the
same couple all but one night though largely by chance. (We were invited
to sit with another group and after we said yes they said, "Now where
are the XYZ's?")

As mentioned cast members are encouraged to mix, performers many times
attract dinner companions and you can always just tell the Maitre d that
you wouuld like a table with others, you will not be alone.
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 18th, 2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Most mainstream cruise lines don't have enough tables to allow open seating,
so they have 2 dinner seatings with assigned tables at assigned times.
That's generally referred to as traditional. Most of the expensive ones
(like RSSC) have enough tables so they can have open seating - which results
in your concern.

You might want to consider a cruise with traditional assigned seating for
dinner. That way you can have an assigned table with other singles for the
entire cruise. One of the discussed "downsides" of open seating (also
called freestyle on NCL and personal choice on Princess) is if you are
traveling alone. If you want higher end with traditional assigned seating,
you might look at Crystal. If you want to drop down to something more
moderately price, you might look at Celebrity or Holland America.

--Tom

ups.com...

Old February 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"jimoran" wrote in message
ups.com...
| I'm thinking of taking a Batic Cruise on the RSSC Navigator. I'm a
| single sixtyish male and I'd be going alone. Their literature says
| they have open seating in their several restaurants. They make no
| mention of assigned seating. Does that mean they don't have assigned
| seating in a main dining room? I understand that most cruise lines
| tend to seat singles at certain tables and I would prefer that, rather
| than finding new dinner partners every night or plunking myself down at
| a table with strangers. Can anybody shed light on this? thanx.

As others have said, the maitre d' will seat you with other diners at some
of the larger tables. Every night on our last trip, the single travelers
held court at a few large tables in the middle of the dining room. Officers
and staff also sat there occasionally. Once the single travelers connected
up with each other, they tended to meet in the cocktail lounge before
dinner, then go in as a group. They seemed to be happy with the
arrangements. There aren't a huge amount of single travelers but there were
enough. There were also a few duos of women (mother-daughters or friends)
who also sat with many of the single travelers. We met a couple whose
brother was with them. He tended to sit with the singles occasionally and
with them other times.

We find the open seating to be great. If you are doing the Baltic and have
the late nights in port, you will appreciate the flexibility to dine when
you are ready.

Diane

Old February 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake Blackbird71 :

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:13:55 -0500, jimoran wrote
(in article . com):

I'm thinking of taking a Batic Cruise on the RSSC Navigator. I'm a
single sixtyish male and I'd be going alone. Their literature says
they have open seating in their several restaurants. They make no
mention of assigned seating. Does that mean they don't have assigned
seating in a main dining room? I understand that most cruise lines
tend to seat singles at certain tables and I would prefer that, rather
than finding new dinner partners every night or plunking myself down at
a table with strangers. Can anybody shed light on this? thanx.

You will be asked if you want to join a group or sit alone. I traveled on the
RSSC Mariner for a 12 Amazon cruise and joined a group every night but one in
which I thought I may have to order seconds of my main dish.

Tweleve Amazons. Now that must have been an interesting cruise.

What was her name? And did you actually order her twice?

If you go down about the same time every night you will get repeats in
tablemates. LOL I got the Opera lecturer from Hell three nights. Also the
cast members of the main show can eat in the main dining room on non show
nights, I got two members of the show twice.

--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future