Soon to expire passport: Okay to return to the US?

Old February 21st, 2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Soon to expire passport: Okay to return to the US?

My in-laws are going to a Mexico cruise in 3 weeks, and will return to
the US in April. They couldn't locate their Naturalization Certificate
so they have to use their passports. They found out that their
passports are going to expire in June. We know that they will have no
problem going to Mexico, but how about coming back to the US?

We checked varies web site including the Department of State web site,
and got confused... We saw statements like these:
- "a valid passport means passport not to be expired within 6 months"
- "to return to the US from Mexico, a US passport (not expired) can be
used as a proof of your US citizenship"

So, according to the first statement, my in-laws' passports are
"invalid", but the second statement states that they can use their
passports to prove their US citizenship when return form Mexico to the
US.

Does anyone know can my in-laws use their "invalid" passports in this
trip to return to the US? Do they need additional documents? Thank
you in advance.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
"P Chu" wrote:
My in-laws are going to a Mexico cruise in 3 weeks, and will return to
the US in April. They couldn't locate their Naturalization Certificate
so they have to use their passports. They found out that their
passports are going to expire in June. We know that they will have no
problem going to Mexico, but how about coming back to the US?

I have been told, although no actual experience, that the
airlines, cruise lines, etc. generally won't let you on the
ship/plane unless your passport is good and will expire in more than
6 months. Now, how that works in real life with thousands tossing
passports at people I don't know.
You could probably get a renewal in that time span if you
wanted to pay the big bucks. The option would be finding out if it
is easier to get a copy of Naturalization certificate quicker (I
doubt it, but that is an option.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."
--PJ O'Rourke
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

You should check to see if passports are even required. Check with the
cruise line and see if photo ID (drivers license) will do along with a
voters reg. card.

MEXICO - *Proof of citizenship such as original birth certificate,
naturalization certificate or voters registration card and photo ID. Tourist
card is required. Tourist card valid 3 months for single-entry up to 180
days, $20 fee, requires proof of U.S. citizenship, photo ID, and proof of
sufficient funds. Visa not required of U.S. citizens for tourist/transit
stay of up to 30 days. Obtain tourist cards in advance from Consulate,
Tourism Office, and most airlines serving Mexico upon arrival. Departure tax
$10 is paid at airport when not included in the cost of the airline ticket.
Notarized consent from parent(s) required for children under age 18
traveling alone, with one parent, or in someone else's custody. For
additional information, check with the Embassy of Mexico, 1911 Pennsylvania
Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20006 (202/736-1000) or nearest Consulate General:
AZ (602/242-7398), CA (213/351-6800, 415/392-5554 and 619/231-8414), CO
(303/331-1110), FL (305/716-4977), GA (404/266-1913), IL (312/855-1380), LA
(504/522-3596), NY (212/689-0460), PR (809/764-0258) or TX (210/227-1085,
214/630-7341, 713/542-2300, 512/478-9031 and 915/533-4082). Internet:
http://www.embassyofmexico.org

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article . net, says...

In article .com,
"P Chu" wrote:
My in-laws are going to a Mexico cruise in 3 weeks, and will return to
the US in April. They couldn't locate their Naturalization Certificate
so they have to use their passports. They found out that their
passports are going to expire in June. We know that they will have no
problem going to Mexico, but how about coming back to the US?

I have been told, although no actual experience, that the
airlines, cruise lines, etc. generally won't let you on the
ship/plane unless your passport is good and will expire in more than
6 months. Now, how that works in real life with thousands tossing
passports at people I don't know.
You could probably get a renewal in that time span if you
wanted to pay the big bucks. The option would be finding out if it
is easier to get a copy of Naturalization certificate quicker (I
doubt it, but that is an option.

I never understood why one person's ninety year old birth certificate
is proof of citizenship but another person's ten year old passport is
not. I also don't understand why an expired driver's license is not
proof of identity for airport security. My state used to let you
renew your driver's license by mail and keep the same picture. I
had a valid driver's license with an eight year old picture.
Somebody from another state may have had an expired driver's
license with a three year old picture. I had valid proof of identity
for the TSA but the other person did not.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Odysseus" wrote

I never understood why one person's ninety year old birth certificate
is proof of citizenship but another person's ten year old passport is
not.

Government regulations are seldom understandable.... or based in common
sense.

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

Cruise Specials BLOG http://www.countryside-travel.com/3834677_6105.htm
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

" Uncle Peter" wrote in message

And this page contradicts the Mexican info regarding driver's licence, etc..

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens
present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico.
However, some U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty in boarding flights
in Mexico without a passport. The U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a
valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings. A lost or stolen
passport is easier to replace when outside of the United States than other
evidence of citizenship. However, U.S. citizenship documents such as a
certified copy (not a simple photocopy or facsimile) of a U.S. birth
certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth
Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable. U.S. citizens
boarding flights to Mexico should be prepared to present one of these
documents as proof of U.S. citizenship, along with photo identification,
such as a state or military issued ID. Driver's licenses and permits, voter
registration cards, affidavits and similar documents are not sufficient to
prove citizenship for readmission into the United States.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "P Chu" :

My in-laws are going to a Mexico cruise in 3 weeks, and will return to
the US in April. They couldn't locate their Naturalization Certificate
so they have to use their passports. They found out that their
passports are going to expire in June. We know that they will have no
problem going to Mexico, but how about coming back to the US?

We checked varies web site including the Department of State web site,
and got confused... We saw statements like these:
- "a valid passport means passport not to be expired within 6 months"

For a foriegner to enter the US, he/she must have a passport that is
valid for at least 6 months (this is pretty much standard, worldwide).

- "to return to the US from Mexico, a US passport (not expired) can be
used as a proof of your US citizenship"

It means exactly what it says.

So, according to the first statement, my in-laws' passports are
"invalid", but the second statement states that they can use their
passports to prove their US citizenship when return form Mexico to the
US.

Does anyone know can my in-laws use their "invalid" passports in this
trip to return to the US? Do they need additional documents? Thank
you in advance.

The passport is the ultimate travel document. I just renewed mine,
took a little over 2 weeks. They can put a rush on it, or just go
with what they've got. But you really should renew your passport
around the 6 month mark.
--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future
There is only the now
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article FaPKf.813848$xm3.749914@attbi_s21, Odysseus
wrote:

I never understood why one person's ninety year old birth certificate
is proof of citizenship but another person's ten year old passport is
not. I also don't understand why an expired driver's license is not
proof of identity for airport security.

Largely because no one has figured out how to turn a birth cert
into a steady stream of revenue. WHen they do, you'll probably find
out....

My state used to let you
renew your driver's license by mail and keep the same picture. I
had a valid driver's license with an eight year old picture.

My lets you do the internet thingy every other license. So I have
an 8 year-old pic on my license until this March(g).

Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thank you all We got hold of the cruise line, and they said the
passports need to have at least 6 months till expiration date, counting
from the departure date. We sent in the documents using 2-way
overnight service and paid extra for expedited renewal today.
Hopefully, the new passports will be ready before the trip.

Thanks again!

Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

P Chu wrote:
Thank you all We got hold of the cruise line, and they said the
passports need to have at least 6 months till expiration date, counting
from the departure date. We sent in the documents using 2-way
overnight service and paid extra for expedited renewal today.
Hopefully, the new passports will be ready before the trip.

Thanks again!

If you need it sooner, you can try http://www.americanpassport.com .
They are expensive but I renewed my passport in two days. (No, I did not
pay for it. The company I work for did.)