Cruise ship passengers are just glad to be here(bermuda)

Old September 19th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Jaap van Dorp

Default Cruise ship passengers are just glad to be here(bermuda)

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/...0916/NEWS/1091
60040
----
By Stephen Breen

----

Bermuda is in better shape than expected after Hurricane Fabian, according
to cruise passengers who got their first glimpse of the battered Island
yesterday.
As Zenith docked at Hamilton from New York yesterday, passengers who had
watched the hurricane on the television news or on the Internet did not know
what to expect.
And those who spoke to The Royal Gazette said they were pleasantly
surprised.
"The Island looks very well and from all accounts its doesn't appear to have
done too badly," said Kay Henson of Jackson, Tennessee.
"We had a major fatal tornado on May 4, so we can relate to this damage and
restoration.
"From the accounts I've read, on a television, and on your website, it looks
much better than I had anticipated."
Her husband Parker said the ship endured a rough crossing overnight on
Sunday as the effects of Hurricane Isabel kicked in over the Atlantic.
"It was quite rough. Last night was the first time I've ever got sick on a
cruise line," said Mr. Henson.
Zenith passenger Judy Bean of McMinnville, Tennessee, said: "I thought it
might be bad and I didn't really know what to expect, but it doesn't seem
that bad.
"It is ten days after and you can tell where there has been a clean-up
taking place, but there still a lot of trees in Dockyard missing."
Dave Kleck of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, said: "It's our first visit so we've
nothing to compare, but it still looks very pretty.
"We did some snorkelling earlier and we were on a boat so we could see some
of the devastation."
His wife Vicki said: "It looks like the clean-up has happened real quick and
it looks in good shape.
"We weren't sure until the last minute if we were coming as the cruise ship
did not know if we were coming."
Scott Mulvaney of Long Island, New York, said: "It looks a lot better than I
expected. Coming in, we saw all the boats overturned and we feared the
worst.
"I saw the CNN video of the storm and it seemed all doom and gloom like the
Island was being washed away, although I've talked to some of the local
merchants and they tell me it was pretty scary."
Other regular cruise callers Norwegian Sea, Norwegian Majesty, Nordic
Empress and Horizon are due in today.