How long for these cities?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:31 AM
Pan

Default How long for these cities?

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:51:10 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Not enough time for NYC. For better or worse, given your itinerary, it's
probably best taken from Toronto (I'd argue that Boston isn't really worth
the trouble of a visit at all, but I have a feeling that would draw some
angry responses).

More a quizzical response from me. Where do you think it's wanting in
terms of being worth visiting?

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:36 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Regarding Niagara Falls, I assume one
day is enough for most of the Falls-related activities on both the Canadian
and American side?

Also, how long does it take to get to the American side from the Canadian
side? Is it a short walk, or a bus ride away?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:06 AM
Mark Brader

Regarding Niagara Falls, I assume one day is enough for most of the
Falls-related activities on both the Canadian and American side?

Yes.

Also, how long does it take to get to the American side from the Canadian
side? Is it a short walk, or a bus ride away?

The international bridge itself -- the Rainbow Bridge -- is less than
1,000 feet (300 m) long, and it's just about 1 mile (1.6 km) downstream
of the Horseshoe Falls (the main fall), or about half that distance from
the American Falls.

The longest distance you'd be likely to want to walk in the falls area
would be starting from the Canadian end of the brink of the Horseshoe
Falls to the Rainbow Bridge, crossing into the US, then walking to the
bridge to Goat Island and crossing onto the island, and finally across
the island to Terrapin Point at the American end of the brink of the
Horseshoe Falls; that would add up to about 2.3 miles (3.7 km) one way,
if you didn't make any detours.

There are buses that run along the Canadian side, but I don't know the
details; I've always walked. On the American side they used to have
a service of those mini-trains that run on road wheels to take you
on and off Goat Island, but the only time I've been there any time
recently I was driving a car, so I can't confirm that they still operate.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Verbose better."
-- David M. Sherman

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Miguel Cruz

Pan wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Not enough time for NYC. For better or worse, given your itinerary, it's
probably best taken from Toronto (I'd argue that Boston isn't really worth
the trouble of a visit at all, but I have a feeling that would draw some
angry responses).

More a quizzical response from me. Where do you think it's wanting in
terms of being worth visiting?

I've just always found it boring. Not much nightlife, not much street life,
mainly just a dull medium-sized city distinguished only by a preponderance
of commemorative plaques.

miguel
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Pan

On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:39:17 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Pan wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Not enough time for NYC. For better or worse, given your itinerary, it's
probably best taken from Toronto (I'd argue that Boston isn't really worth
the trouble of a visit at all, but I have a feeling that would draw some
angry responses).

More a quizzical response from me. Where do you think it's wanting in
terms of being worth visiting?

I've just always found it boring. Not much nightlife, not much street life,
mainly just a dull medium-sized city distinguished only by a preponderance
of commemorative plaques.

I can see your point to an extent, but it has great museums and parts
of it are pretty and fun to walk around.