Yosemite National Park

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:12 PM
Bill

Default Yosemite National Park

I'm traveling to Yosemite National Park and I am wondering if any of
you who are familiar with the park would suggest areas with the most
spectacular views?

Regards,
Bill

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM
Jenny

Bill wrote in
:

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/fun/yosemite/

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:59 PM

Bill wrote:
I'm traveling to Yosemite National Park and I am wondering if any of
you who are familiar with the park would suggest areas with the most
spectacular views?

As in Lake Tahoe, in Yosemite I would plan on a slow circuit of the
valley floor, stopping at numerous pullouts. Short hikes to places such
as Bridalveil, Yosemite and Vernal Falls are well marked. Longer drives
will take you to Glacier Point, and the Tioga Road (Tenaya Lake,
Tuolomne Meadows, Olmstead Point are among the most scenic areas on that
drive.)

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
adjgiulio

"Bill" wrote in message
I'm traveling to Yosemite National Park and I am wondering if any of
you who are familiar with the park would suggest areas with the most
spectacular views?

Well, Yosemite is the kind of park that you'll really enjoy only hiking and
leaving behind you the crowds who infest the Valley.
In the Yosemite Valley area I would surely suggest the Mist Trail that leads
to the Vernall Fall. A steep path leads to the top of the fall where you can
enjoy the beautiful Emerald Pool. If you're still willing to walk you can
then go on till the top of the Nevada Fall and come back down to the Valley
by the John Muir trail. All the hike takes about 5 to 6 hours.
If you go in Summer, avoid the Mirror Lake trail since the "lake" is
completely dry.
I would definitely suggest at least half a day in the Glacier area. Here
you'll enjoy some of the best views of the Valley. Two nice hikes depart
from here. The Taft Point Trail and the glacier Point Trail. I would suggest
the one going to Taft Point and passing near the fissures. Is short, flat
and rewarding with a spectacolar view on El Capitan. The other hike is not
difficult too and leads to a wondeful view on the Half Dome.
Another area that you shouldn't miss is the Tuolumne Meadows. The Tioga Road
is also a wonderful scenic byway but it's closed till late spring. On the
south part of the park you could also be interested in the Giant Sequoias
Groves near Wawona.

If you have time, I would also suggest you a visit to two very special spots
on Yosemite's east side. Mono Lake and the Devil's Postpile NM. If you're
interested in some info about them, let me know.

Ciao, Giulio

Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:11 AM
Go Fig

In article , adjgiulio
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
I'm traveling to Yosemite National Park and I am wondering if any of
you who are familiar with the park would suggest areas with the most
spectacular views?

Well, Yosemite is the kind of park that you'll really enjoy only hiking and
leaving behind you the crowds who infest the Valley.

While the crowds can be a consideration for some, the view from Glacier
Pt. is awesome and the crowds play little in that. Just riding the
shuttle around the valley millions have enjoyed this.

The majority of visitors never get on a 2+ mile trail, but I believed
they enjoyed their stay.

jay
Sun May 02, 2004

Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:36 AM
adjgiulio

"Go Fig" wrote in message

Well, Yosemite is the kind of park that you'll really enjoy only hiking

and
leaving behind you the crowds who infest the Valley.

While the crowds can be a consideration for some, the view from Glacier
Pt. is awesome and the crowds play little in that. Just riding the
shuttle around the valley millions have enjoyed this.

The majority of visitors never get on a 2+ mile trail, but I believed
they enjoyed their stay.

You're right...I meant "...if you want to enjoy a natural park atmosphere
instead than a theme park one...". ;-)
Jay, when you visit a natural park, I suppose you're looking for a certain
kind of experience. Kind of contact with nature...isn't it?
Well, in the Yosemite Valley, the actual situation is far from looking like
that.
Some of the greatest park (as Yellowsone, the Grand Canyon and Yosemite)
"pay" their fame attracting lot of visitors not really interestend in the
Park itself but in having fun in their own way inside the park. And this is
imho not good. There is nothing wrong if you want to have fun in your own
way (in example screaming loudly in a camping) but what happens when these
"needs" meet needs of other kind of turists seeking for silence, wild life,
tranquillity...do you think that John Muir, fighting for the estabilishment
of national parks, was thinking of crowds of the "all you can shoot in one
hour from a shuttle" turists? I don't think so. If you like to tour the
vally with a shuttle, you're welcome. But I can hardly believe that a
shuttle can give you neither 10% of what a 2+mile hike can give.
What do you think about it? It's a interesting exchange of points of view.

Ciao, Giulio

PS I'm sorry for my English but I'm not a mother tongue

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM
Go Fig

In article , adjgiulio
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

[...]

The NPS has been taking steps to give a more traditional wilderness
experience. They have cut the number of tent sites in the valley,
limited the commercialization in the valley from the master plan of the
late 70s and (sadly) now has a fairly big entrance fee. For years,
they have required back country wilderness permits with a specific
itinerary.

I first hiked the 25 miles from Mammoth Mtn to Yosemite Valley in '74
and I learned to waterski on Bass Lake in the 60s. And while I have
seen Park Rangers become Police in the Valley, its still all and all a
wilderness experience...

My grandmother never got past the roadway in Yosemite, but she talked
about the giant tress, the "Tunnel View" and her view from the patio at
the Yosemite Lodge till the last days of her life. Who am I to be the
gatekeeper of the mandated experience for visitors.

Ciao, Giulio

PS I'm sorry for my English but I'm not a mother tongue

It is very, very good. I hoped you enjoyed my backyard as much as I
yours.

jay
Sun May 02, 2004

Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:56 AM
adjgiulio

"Go Fig" wrote in message

[...]

Jay, I agree. No one of us can be a gatekeeper. I only wish more people
could kindly love the Parks as your grandmother did. I honestly believe that
a Park "is not a road you're riding on, it's a path to freedom". This is why
I'll be always suggesting a hike far from crowds and advising against a
shuttle ride.

It is very, very good. I hoped you enjoyed my backyard as much as I
yours.

I enjoyed your backyard very much. Yosemite, despite its crowds, is my
favourite National Park and I'd like to be back there soon.

Ciao, Giulio

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:12 PM
Andreas Werner

Hi Bill,

I'm traveling to Yosemite National Park and I am wondering if any of
you who are familiar with the park would suggest areas with the most
spectacular views?

Depends on whether you do hikes or not...

For hikers:
- The one and only: Half Dome! Only for hikers with good endurance.
- Yosemite Point: Also quite good, not as hard as Half dome. Use it
as a
warm-up for the harder hikes.
- For "Semi-Hikers" : Mist Trail up to Vernal Falls. Quite a fun
for children
when its really wet - especially good in July. Nevada falls is
more spectacular
from below than from its top.

For non-Hikers, but people with legs
- Sentinal Dome & Taft Point (really, it's worth the half of walking)
- Vernal Falls up into mist trail

For the absolute weenies ;-)
- Tioga Pass road (stop at the parking lots and take a look!)
- Glacier Point
- Bridavail Falls
- Yosemite Falls

For hard-core Hikers (if done from valley floor)
- El Capitan (great look, but quite a walk)
- North Dome / Indian Rock round-trip (My preference is up via Mirror
Lake,
down Yosemite Falls)
- Clouds Rest (Much easier from Tioga Pass Road than from valley ground)
- The south rim round: Wawona Tunnel, Old Inspiration Pt, Taft Pt,
Sentinel
Dome, Glacier Point, Four Miles Trail down or the other way round.
I prefer
this direction. Really hard one (~ 25 Miles + 5000' level Gain),
but great!

North Dome, Indian Rock and Clouds Rest are easier from Tioga pass
road.

Never forget your own safety when hiking. Water, Sunscreen, Hat (ALWAYS!),
Rain Coat (even after two weeks of dryness in summer, at least a light
cape!)
Good shoes are required for all real hikes, even though the hikes mentioned
in the NPS maps are more or less mountain-highways. You might not need it
when everything runs good, but when the rain comes, its better to have good
shoes

REALLY think about safety. I've once found a family with a small child
near Nevada
Falls top, where the parents didn't even notice that their child was
completely de-
hydrated. They only thought the girl din't like the hike - red face,
didn't show any
reactions, pulse barely existent ...

Good hint: Take some Water purification pills with you. Gives you a
safety margin for
some grams of weight - I needed mine only once (after giving lots of my
water to
the family mentioned above). There is much water in that area, but you
can't drink it
without these pills. Don't plan on using it - just have it.

Important: if hiking, get a better mat than the one you get at the park
entrance.

Andreas