Question about Single Supplements on Cruise Ships

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Howie

Default Question about Single Supplements on Cruise Ships

I've been looking at cruises from mid December through January. So far,
the only ships that I have found that do not charge double fare for pax
traveling single are the Carnival Destiny Class ships with Cat 1
accommodations. Am I missing something, or do all other lines/ships
charge double fare for singles?

Howie - will definitely be heading for the sun and surf this winter.

Old August 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM
OcnGypZ

Hi Howie:

HAL and Princess are more generous with only 150% in selected categories.
However, when you start looking at balcony cabins... you are back at 200%.

You may remember what transpired with my Legend booking. I booked the 1A at
150%.. didn't pay the lowest price, and was upgraded to the 6A standard
outside.. and saved $$$$. Of course, upgrades are never guaranteed, and I
could have easily wound up in that 1A.

Over the years, I've learned just to look at the final price... and get over
the 150% vs 200%. Many times, it's jus tbeen cheaper all around for me to book
with one of the luxurylines once I've figured in my gratuities, alcohol, etc.

I have, on occasion, been able to get a 150% supplement on RCL and Celebrity,
but these have been last minute "Happy Hour" sales.... and you need to be very
flexible with your accommodation selection.
Due to increased demand, I've been seeing far fewer of these Happy Hour sales
than in the past. I've also been seeing fewer senior rates, however, these may
pop up last minute as another way to clear out excess inventory. But, it sure
doesn't help with advance planning.

Traditionally, the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are slow.. as well
as the week following New Year's.
Unfortunately, more and more groups are taking advantage of these slow periods
and eating up inventory.

After final payments are due... it's a little easier to shop.. and see what's
really sold.. and what isn't. That's why I've become a late booker. I just
look at the departures individually, and pick one that looks like it's
undersold in hopes of securing the best pricing.

Good luck, it isn't easy.

Babette

Old August 25th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Howie

Hey Babette,

How did you make out during Charlie? Of course you are my hero (read
role model) when it comes to single cruising.

I will start looking more carefully at HAL and Princess. I would even
seriously consider work as a "gentleman" host, if they would drop the
white polyester and white shoe requirement.

I've looked at the Legend and don't even see a 1A. In fact, I only see
this cat for Destiny class ships. Late booking has never been a problem
for me, so I'll take your advice and hang loose.

Hopefully, Judi can find some great deals to keep me out of the cold
this winter.

Howie