Air France eyes move to railways

Old July 8th, 2008, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mrtravel[_2_]

Default Air France eyes move to railways

rousseau wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

rousseau wrote:

A US dictionary is not the place to look for definitions of units or
their symbols. Try http://www.bipm.org/en/si/.

And take a look at any speedo (even UK ones).

As an American, what resource should I use. Why do you think you
reference is the only correct one? After all, you probably spell color
"colour". Am I wrong because my dictionary says "color"?

You use the resource I cited. It's the body that defines the International
System of Units (and the US is part of that body).

And it is impossible to have an abbreviation not sanctioned by this
organization?
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"mrtravel" skrev i meddelandet
. ..
rousseau wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

rousseau wrote:

A US dictionary is not the place to look for definitions of units or
their symbols. Try http://www.bipm.org/en/si/.

And take a look at any speedo (even UK ones).

As an American, what resource should I use. Why do you think you
reference is the only correct one? After all, you probably spell color
"colour". Am I wrong because my dictionary says "color"?

You use the resource I cited. It's the body that defines the
International
System of Units (and the US is part of that body).

And it is impossible to have an abbreviation not sanctioned by this
organization?

-----------
Of course you can. As long as it's possible to understand feel free to use
whatever you like.

Old July 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

rousseau wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

rousseau wrote:

A US dictionary is not the place to look for definitions of units or
their symbols. Try http://www.bipm.org/en/si/.

And take a look at any speedo (even UK ones).

As an American, what resource should I use. Why do you think you
reference is the only correct one? After all, you probably spell color
"colour". Am I wrong because my dictionary says "color"?

You use the resource I cited. It's the body that defines the
International
System of Units (and the US is part of that body).

And it is impossible to have an abbreviation not sanctioned by this
organization?

-----------
Of course you can. As long as it's possible to understand feel free to use
whatever you like.

And if you have no desire to be understood, feel also free.

Old July 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

wrote:

"mrtravel" skrev i meddelandet
m...
rousseau wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

rousseau wrote:

A US dictionary is not the place to look for definitions of units or
their symbols. Try http://www.bipm.org/en/si/.

And take a look at any speedo (even UK ones).

As an American, what resource should I use. Why do you think you
reference is the only correct one? After all, you probably spell color
"colour". Am I wrong because my dictionary says "color"?

You use the resource I cited. It's the body that defines the
International
System of Units (and the US is part of that body).

And it is impossible to have an abbreviation not sanctioned by this
organization?

-----------
Of course you can. As long as it's possible to understand feel free to
use
whatever you like.

And if you have no desire to be understood, feel also free.

Yes and ?.... Trouble to understand kph ?

Old July 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:50:39 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"mrtravel" skrev i meddelandet
om...
rousseau wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

rousseau wrote:

[...]

Or furlongs per minute?

Old July 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Hatunen wrote on Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:07:33 -0700:

Yes and ?.... Trouble to understand kph ?

Or furlongs per minute?

Well, 5 furlongs/minute will win you the Kentucky Derby!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old July 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
Runge12

Default Say thanks to michaelnewpoort for another copy/paste

No comment from his part, he has nothing to say, just c/p

"Billy Puffin" a écrit dans le message de

Short-haul Air France passengers could soon be moving onto trains

Air France is holding talks on a joint venture that could lead to it
offering high-speed rail travel.

The airline confirmed reports it was discussing a possible tie-up with
Veolia, a French utility firm that also runs several rail services.

Commentators suggest such a deal would enable the airline to cut fuel
costs by moving some services onto the railways.

Under the plans Veolia would run trains from Air France's hub airport
in Paris to other European destinations.

"We are reviewing the feasibility and possibility of such a project,
but it is too early to discuss its terms," an Air France spokesman
told the Reuters news agency.

Competition plans

The joint venture is likely to remain focused on international travel
as, under European Union plans, legislation is set to free up the
international rail passenger market in 2010.

Veolia has previously run public rail franchises in several countries
worldwide under the now-defunct Connex brand. It now runs continental
Europe's largest private freight service and several rail connections.

With significant improvements being made to the network of high speed
rail routes in Europe the potential of such services is improving.

As it confirmed reports of the talks, Air France added it had been
looking at launching its own rail links over the past four years as it
had been unhappy with the service provided when it had bought rail
seats off existing train operators.