aqueducts in Rome

Old July 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Default aqueducts in Rome

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

I am not only amazed that water in such a
huge city is drinkable, but it is actually the
best-tasting water I have ever drunk...

Pliny the Elder agrees with you:-).

"The Aqua Marcia was held to be the purest, the coldest, and most
wholesome water in Rome and as such its praises are celebrated by
Pliny (H.N. XXXVI. 15) — Clarissima aquarum omnium in tolo orbe,
frigoris
salubritatisque palma praeconio Urbis, Marcia est".
'A Manual of Roman Antiquities'
By William Wardlaw Ramsay

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old July 15th, 2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Roman antiquities aqueducts in Rome

On 2008-07-14 16:10:35 -0500, (Poetic Justice) said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

I am not only amazed that water in such a
huge city is drinkable, but it is actually the
best-tasting water I have ever drunk...

Pliny the Elder agrees with you:-).

"The Aqua Marcia was held to be the purest, the coldest, and most
wholesome water in Rome and as such its praises are celebrated by Pliny
(H.N. XXXVI. 15) — Clarissima aquarum omnium in tolo orbe,
frigoris salubritatisque palma praeconio Urbis, Marcia est".
'A Manual of Roman Antiquities'
By William Wardlaw Ramsay

..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

That l book. I found it at Amazon, but it doesn't show much of the
interior. Does it have maps and descriptions of the antiquities of
Roman?

I don't know if you're familiar with it, but there is such a book on
Istanbul called Strolling Through Istanbul. It's an incredible tome
that walks you through the city past all the cool stuff, with good
historical descriptions.

so, anyway, I'm wondering if I should get this book you reference, and
wanted to confirm it included maps for "how to get there" directions.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old July 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

That l book. I found it at Amazon, but it
doesn't show much of the interior. Does it
have maps and descriptions of the
antiquities of Roman?

I don't know, I found it in a google search.
I knew some ancient historian had written about the Aqua Marcia's cold
and pure water, so after a few tries I found out it was Pliny and found
his words plus a loose translation in that book.

I don't know if you're familiar with it, but
there is such a book on Istanbul called
Strolling Through Istanbul.

No

It's an incredible tome that walks you
through the city past all the cool stuff, with
good historical descriptions. so, anyway,
I'm wondering if I should get this book you
reference, and wanted to confirm it
included maps for "how to get there"
directions.

As I said I don't know what it contains but if it has any "how to get
there" directions for distance sites it might include using a horse. It
was written in ~1894 :-).

For Rome's historical sites IMO the best all-round guide is the 'Oxford
Archaeological Guide-Rome'.
It's not a strolling guide with 'how to get there' directions but the
many sectional maps show the sites in relation to the modern streets.

If you can get by my two poorly written but factually accurate
walking tours they might interest you.
JULIUS CAESAR ASSASSINATION WALK
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34646917 ROMAN FORUM
WALKING TOUR (half finished)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34713215
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...