Continental Free Checked Bag With their Credit Card--Clueless Agents

Old April 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Default Continental Free Checked Bag With their Credit Card--Clueless Agents

I was checking in last night at EWR and had one bag to check. Since I
have a Continental Credit Card, I get one bag free.

The agent at the entrance to the check-in line was encouraging people to
do curb check in, and when I asked if they knew how to do the free
checked bag at the curb he was unsure. So he contacted another agent who
said that the way it works is that you get charged for the bag but the
credit card company then refunds the amount. Of course this is not how
it works at all, the other agent just made up that story on the spot.
You do have to check in the bag in the regular check-in line. If you
swipe your Continental credit card as your identification for check-in
at the kiosk, you will get a baggage tag generated and won't be charged.

Continental has a huge ad campaign on NYC bus shelters, that's pretty
creative. "Eat--There are Starving People on Other Airlines." "We'd eat
the competitions lunch--if they served lunch." They are really making a
point of being the only remaining airline with free coach meals.
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_4_]

"SMS" wrote in message

Continental has a huge ad campaign on NYC bus shelters, that's pretty
creative. "Eat--There are Starving People on Other Airlines." "We'd eat
the competitions lunch--if they served lunch." They are really making a
point of being the only remaining airline with free coach meals.

They may be the only Airline in the USA which doesn't charge for meals in
steerage, but there are lots of Airlines throughout the rest of the world
which offer free food and free alcoholic drinks.
--
JohnT

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In "JohnT"
wrote:

They may be the only Airline in the USA which doesn't charge for meals
in steerage, but there are lots of Airlines throughout the rest of the
world which offer free food and free alcoholic drinks.

I look forward to my free cheese sandwich on my next KLM City Hopper flight
from Amsterdam to wherever I'm actually going :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message SMS
was claimed to have wrote:

Continental has a huge ad campaign on NYC bus shelters, that's pretty
creative. "Eat--There are Starving People on Other Airlines." "We'd eat
the competitions lunch--if they served lunch." They are really making a
point of being the only remaining airline with free coach meals.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I normally fly AA and based on the last couple first class meals they
served, I'd recommend stopping at your local hospital on the way to the
airport instead.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message SMS
was claimed to have wrote:

Continental has a huge ad campaign on NYC bus shelters, that's pretty
creative. "Eat--There are Starving People on Other Airlines." "We'd eat
the competitions lunch--if they served lunch." They are really making a
point of being the only remaining airline with free coach meals.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I normally fly AA and based on the last couple first class meals they
served, I'd recommend stopping at your local hospital on the way to the
airport instead.

The food isn't gourmet, but it's edible. A turkey sandwich, salad, and
brownie.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message SMS
was claimed to have wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message SMS
was claimed to have wrote:

Continental has a huge ad campaign on NYC bus shelters, that's pretty
creative. "Eat--There are Starving People on Other Airlines." "We'd eat
the competitions lunch--if they served lunch." They are really making a
point of being the only remaining airline with free coach meals.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I normally fly AA and based on the last couple first class meals they
served, I'd recommend stopping at your local hospital on the way to the
airport instead.

The food isn't gourmet, but it's edible. A turkey sandwich, salad, and
brownie.

I'd have killed for a decent sandwich, but unfortunately I tend to fly
to client sites in the mornings and return on afternoon/evening flights,
and I generally only pay for business on the way down so that I can be a
little more presentable when I arrive, on the return trip I head home
and shower before anyone sees me, so I'm only competing with the cab
driver for presentably.

I think they're usually trying to make omelets, but something seems to
go horribly, horribly wrong.

The scones have been hit and miss too, at least once it was the single
best scone I'd ever eaten in my life, the next time I was able to tap
out a little drum solo against the scone using the included knife, since
then it's been up in the air.

In all honesty I've had better luck with lunches in coach then breakfast
in first class, the $6-something (I'm Canadian, my expense reports are
currency converted into Canadian at the time, then back into USD when I
bill the client) cold sandwiches are actually very good.

I have no idea if AA serves for-purchase coach food in the morning, I
always go early since immigration/customs can be backed up for hours and
I like to get through in time to eat something at the airport before
boarding.

Now that you mention it I did get bumped to first class one afternoon
although it was probably three years ago now, and I'm not sure if it was
a turkey sandwich or ham, I'd have guessed ham, but it wasn't half bad,
although the bread was tough for the amount of time it was toasted. I
love toasted sandwiches though, and I'm a bit of an elitist when it
comes to toasted sandwiches