South Rim entrance:Annual Pass

Old May 14th, 2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default South Rim entrance:Annual Pass

Anyone know if you can purchase the Parks annual pass using a credit card at
Grand Canyon South Rim (on road from Williams) or do you have to pay in
cash? Also if I'm travelling with my mate, will that be $50 each or will
the $50 cover both of us?

Thanks

Old May 14th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Mark" wrote...

Anyone know if you can purchase the Parks annual pass using a credit card
at Grand Canyon South Rim (on road from Williams) or do you have to pay in
cash? Also if I'm travelling with my mate, will that be $50 each or will
the $50 cover both of us?

Thanks

Credit cards will work at The Canyon's Entrance Stations (and more and
more national parks in general). It's possible that AmEx or Discover could
be a problem but MC/VISA will work anywhere that cards are accepted.

The National Park Pass will work at any park for entrance fees for an
entire family--and at most park, one pass will cover everyone in the private
vehicle. For Grand Canyon, you only need the one Park Pass per carload. For
the few parks that charge "per person", the annual passes will only cover
family (spouse, kids, parents). Also remember that some parks charge a User
Fee (parking at Mt Rushmore, I think, and cave tours at Carlsbad, for
instance) and these park passes will not apply at all.

Craig

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

One small warning that probably does not apply since you mention only
you and your wife. I think that the pass covers the occupants of one
vehicle. If the family is in separate cars it may take several fees.

Mark wrote:

top answer...thanks

"Mark" wrote...

Old May 15th, 2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote...

One small warning that probably does not apply since you mention only you
and your wife. I think that the pass covers the occupants of one vehicle.
If the family is in separate cars it may take several fees.

Good point. Taking more than one vehicle into a national park will double
your fees (or need for annual passes) in most parks in most situations. And
at the Grand Canyon in peak season, it's even a better point as you'll
already have to hunt quite hard in parking areas to find a single spot for a
vehicle. Imagine trying to find two spots in a lot simultaneously.

Craig

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

One small warning that probably does not apply since you mention only
you and your wife. I think that the pass covers the occupants of one
vehicle. If the family is in separate cars it may take several fees.

This is correct -- one pass covers one vehicle, and it doesn't matter
if the people inside are related or not. Here's more on the new costs:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...nal_parks.html

Caveat
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:01:36 -0700, Caveat
wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

One small warning that probably does not apply since you mention only
you and your wife. I think that the pass covers the occupants of one
vehicle. If the family is in separate cars it may take several fees.

This is correct -- one pass covers one vehicle, and it doesn't matter
if the people inside are related or not. Here's more on the new costs:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...nal_parks.html

There are two good things about getting old. One is that it beats
the only alternative, the other is that you get in places cheap.

The National Park Service has a pass for senior citizens; it's
valid for life, it's cheap, and it gets your entire car load into
the park even if the occupants aren't all seniors.

If you qualify, get one at the first national park you arrive at.

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Hatunen wrote:

There are two good things about getting old. One is that it beats
the only alternative, the other is that you get in places cheap.
The National Park Service has a pass for senior citizens; it's
valid for life, it's cheap, and it gets your entire car load into
the park even if the occupants aren't all seniors.

AND it gets you 50% off many other fees (including camping) allows
free parking/trailhead access at Federal lands that charge fees, etc.
To qualify you must be 62 years old.

If you qualify, get one at the first national park you arrive at...

....or at any Forest Service Office or Visitor's Center.

Caveat
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Caveat" wrote...

Hatunen wrote:

There are two good things about getting old. One is that it beats
the only alternative, the other is that you get in places cheap.
The National Park Service has a pass for senior citizens; it's
valid for life, it's cheap, and it gets your entire car load into
the park even if the occupants aren't all seniors.

AND it gets you 50% off many other fees (including camping) allows
free parking/trailhead access at Federal lands that charge fees, etc.
To qualify you must be 62 years old...

....and be a US citizen or permanent resident of the USA. Ditto for the free
Golden Access pass intended for permanently disabled folks. For visitors
from outside the USA, the $50 pass is the only Park option (or $65 Golden
Eagle for increased sites) besides going park by park with daily admissions.

Craig