good guide book for Italy trip

Old November 9th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Kurt Weber/Debra Cole-Weber

Default good guide book for Italy trip

You might also consider the City Secrets books, especially since this is
a gift item. I agree that the DK Eyewitness guides make a nice gift
(they have so many color photos they could be coffee table books; they
are a bit short on hotels and restuarants, especially compared to Fodor's
or Frommer's, which are heavy on both.) because they are attractive and a
little expensive. The DK Eyewitness guides have more pictures and
diagrams than just about any guide book I know.

City Secrets Rome and City Secrets Florence and Venice (the latter are
combined in one book) are attractive little books compiled from the tips
of "insiders" such as architects, authors, artists and art historians,
etc. I think they are fun to read, and the way they are nicely divided
by neighborhood works well for me. They are also very tiny, and can go
in a pocket or purse. Might not be great for old eyes, though.

Rick Steves' books don't exactly make me think "gift." They look like
inexpensive paper backs, and even if they are not cheap, I don't think
I'd be thrilled to open a box and find one inside.

You be better off with the Fodor's or Frommer's guides to Italy (both are
very comprehensive, easy to use for first timers, and stay toward the
middle or upper age and income brackets for their target audiences), or
one of their specialty guides, such as the already recommended ______$ A
Day guides, or try the Best Loved Driving Tours, if that is something
that would interest your in-laws. Frommer's guides are black and red
print on white paper, which I find to be easier on the eyes the Fodor's,
which are all black print on rougher, less-white paper.

Hope that helps.
D.

"Timothy J. Bain" wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Giovanni Drogo

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Timothy J. Bain wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

The Italian Touring Club (TCI) is renowned for the quality of its
guides. Unfortunately (for you) most of them are in Italian (starting
from the famous Red Guides, expensive but extremely detailed, down to
the Green Guides, more manageable, on a region or province basis, ending
with the 5 volume Rapid Guide ... which could also be complemented by
the Road Atlas in 3 volumes). However I heard they started publishing
also some material in English and to distribute it abroad, or via
amazon. Have a look at http://www.touringclub.it//english/index.asp

Personally (as an italian travelling abroad) I've always travelled with
TCI guides for countries for which they existed, and found them better
or much better than other (Lonely Planet, Fodor),

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Giovanni Drogo wrote:

The Italian Touring Club (TCI) is renowned for the quality of its
guides. [...] ... which could also be complemented by the Road Atlas
in 3 volumes).

I forgot to add a warning. If your relatives do not have an immediate
need of the Road Atlas, you should wait to buy it. The current 3 volume
edition (North / Centre / South) is going to be superseded soon by a new
edition in 2 volumes (Centre-North and Centre-South). The first volume
of the new edition is going to be distributed to TCI members with the
2004 package, so I guess the second volume will follow next year, and
then the complete updated atlas will be available for sale.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old November 10th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Luca Logi

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

Personally (as an italian travelling abroad) I've always travelled with
TCI guides for countries for which they existed, and found them better
or much better than other (Lonely Planet, Fodor)

I find the TCI guides to be a bit too high-brow. Say, if the place is a
real dump I prefer Lonely Planet guides that tell me to watch my wallet
instead of the TCI that directs me to the reimans of a former romanic
church.

I also like the Time Out city guides. Again, the art history part
doesn't even compare with TCI, but they are good in directing you to
interesting shops or theatres - not even mentioned in TCI guides.

Very few guides, anyway, have the extremely fine details such as TCI red
guides.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Kurt Weber/Debra Cole-Weber

Luca Logi wrote:

I also like the Time Out city guides. Again, the art history part
doesn't even compare with TCI, but they are good in directing you to
interesting shops or theatres - not even mentioned in TCI guides.

I also like the Time Out city guides, but for a gift of a guide book to
Italy, they are too narrow, I would think. But they are now among my
favorites. Time Out Florence has information, tips and recommendations that
I have not found other places. Their food recs are pretty good, too.

I have a ton of Florence guides, because of work, but for pleasure I use the
Time Out.

Old November 15th, 2003, 07:01 AM
randee

My personal preference are the Baedeker guides.

"Timothy J. Bain" wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Tim

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Old November 15th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Jenn

"Timothy J. Bain" wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Tim

given your description of them the Rick Steve's book might be just the
ticket -- along perhaps with a more inclusive guide of some sort